Author Topic: Help for PilotAware Virgin  (Read 30427 times)

Admin

Re: Help for PilotAware Virgin
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2015, 11:40:34 pm »
The web server on the new Release will indicate if it is receiving any adsb packets
From the dvbt dongle.
It also prints number of gps packets received

Thx
Lee

Rastus

« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2015, 08:53:06 am »
Thank you for the new release Lee.
The reboot was without the previous waning and fail message(s).
There was the Kernel lacking groups warning however I did get SDR USB Error Connect ......57600 baud
The WiFi link was made and  selected Flamm on the Sky Demon
Then got:
Connect to Sky Demon
Attempting Connection
Error Connect()

Then saw
NAC TCP:Pin 6000
Msg $PLACA,S,NMEA OUT 61*69

I had a several attempts to connect Sky Demon ,all of which failed.   I checkedthat both WiFi & Collision Aware were still sound.
Does that lead you to a solution?
Looking forward to your view. R
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 08:55:09 am by Rastus »

Admin

« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2015, 10:05:22 am »
Thank you for the new release Lee.
The reboot was without the previous waning and fail message(s).
There was the Kernel lacking groups warning however I did get SDR USB Error Connect ......57600 baud
The WiFi link was made and  selected Flamm on the Sky Demon
Then got:
Connect to Sky Demon
Attempting Connection
Error Connect()

Then saw
NAC TCP:Pin 6000
Msg $PLACA,S,NMEA OUT 61*69

I had a several attempts to connect Sky Demon ,all of which failed.   I checkedthat both WiFi & Collision Aware were still sound.
Does that lead you to a solution?
Looking forward to your view. R

OK, This is good progress in highlighting the issue.
If you received "SDR USB Error", this points to a problem with the DVB-T Dongle which receives the ADS-B data, and would explain why you see no aircraft.

Can you also point your web browser to

http://192.168.1.1

on the device connected to the Pilotaware WiFi.
This should give some additional info, please take a snapshot and post the picture so I can take a look

Just rereading your post, it looks like previously skydemon would connect, but not show any aircraft, and now it apoears that skydemon will not connect, that is strange ....
Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 10:18:38 am by Admin »

Admin

« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2015, 10:21:55 am »
Still thinking on this ...
I went back through previous posts and saw msg that you were using garmin glo. Is your ipad cellular or wifi ?
If it is cellular, can you retry your experiment without usin the glo ?

Thx
Lee

Rastus

« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2015, 11:54:55 am »
I have a non phone iPad so use a Garmin Glo .
Shall I try upgraing the iPad to ios 9.0 (as it would be my next move if all was working well.......... or stay with it for the moment??
Thx
R
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 11:57:45 am by Rastus »

Rastus

« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2015, 04:49:38 pm »
I ran the experiment that you suggested but unfortunately I was unable to give you a screen shot from the 196.168.1.1 site. Sorry
The reason was that having to use a Hotspot on my phone I decided to make a Bluetooth connection as I thought it was best to leave the WiFi connection on PilotAware but could not make contact.
However I thought I would do a couple of experiments and report what the Tv showed in case you get some more insight from it.
The first was to switch on the Garmin Glo before anything else then go through the normal start procedure.
It all lit up and looked as if it was ready for work, but, of course we don't know if it is going to "pick up airliners"
Glo ON

I then switched the Glo OFF and stated every thing from a new start.
This time the Sky Demon showed the map but with a band "Selecting GPS Satellites" but it didnt. I left the RasPi running then switched off the Sky Demon and then switched it back and the Glo on also.
Everything looked ready to go but again we don't know if it will see in the sky?!
Perhaps I should go and fly again
Glo OFF

Admin

« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2015, 05:07:38 pm »
Sounds like you tried the wrong address, it should be

Thlee

Rastus

« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2015, 09:25:00 pm »
No not really I just typed the blog from memory.
 I actually  was  copying the web address from the PilotAware Construction Manual. R

Rastus

« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2015, 03:53:58 pm »
Another day dawns and all the frustrations, because I couldn't see airliners on PilotAware, have been lifted.
I now can see aircraft operating at Manchester and I am to the East of Leeds.
No longer a PilotAware Virgin!
This was achieved not by me but the superb and cool headed advice I received from Lee.
In the end it was as simple as the power lead not having the capacity to deliver the Oooomph!
(Recommend JuicEbitz on eBay as a power lead supplier ( they can provide the 2.1 spec shown in Lee's analysis on power cables here on the Blog))
A Big Thank You to Lee who has done more than one could reasonable expect, and swiftly
R