Author Topic: Help for PilotAware Virgin  (Read 30422 times)

DavidC

Re: Help for PilotAware Virgin
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2015, 10:20:15 pm »
I found I needed to attach the external antenna to the RTL dongle for it to work on the ground.

Attached screenshot taken today in London where you can see all the incoming airliners lined up nicely for Heathrow.

Admin

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2015, 10:21:41 pm »
I found I needed to attach the external antenna to the RTL dongle for it to work on the ground.

Attached screenshot taken today in London where you can see all the incoming airliners lined up nicely for Heathrow.

I must admit, that is a great shot of all that queuing traffic, reminds me of the M25

falcoguy

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2015, 09:00:47 am »
I just love that screenshot!
Dave T

Rastus

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2015, 10:54:13 am »
Lee, have now booted the system as normal and taken a video of the result ( which I am happy to email to you if you wish)
The unusual reports, some of which you have said were just an annoyance are included

/usr/local/bin/mount_unionfs called with var-o rw .......etc.
fail

FAIL Startpar:service(s) returned failure: check root boot....    clean sh...failed?

warn Kernel lacks c groups or memory controller not available.

I was able to select Pilot Aware WiFi, also Pi3 Flamm and showed my position too so it appeared as I would expect it to.

Hope that helps
R

falcoguy

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2015, 11:44:17 am »
we get the same fails on all 7 of our units - but they are working
Dave t

Admin

« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2015, 03:11:11 pm »
Hi Rastus,
These error messages are fixed but only in an internal build

so now..
You have no (real) error messages, in the boot sequence.
you have all dongles & antennas connected

is your system now working ?

« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 03:12:56 pm by Admin »

Rastus

« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2015, 10:28:44 pm »
I have to say I don't understand the implication of "These error messages are fixed but only in an internal build"??
I have had all the dongles fitted as well as antennas when I have done each test
You ask " is your system working now " and I wonder why as nothing has changed since I tested it at Leeds yesterday or am I missing something?
There is virtually no regular or reliable transmitting traffic within 15 miles or more of us to test reliably.
Are there any other checks I can do to check ,say for example, the ADS-B dongle  is functioning?
Think I will take it up in the sky tomorrow for the first time but with a low expectation based on the Leeds test and will report back

I wonder about the ADS-B Dongle as I have seen the bragging rites on the blog about some Dongles!
I bought mine from Ali Express, described as : Mini USB-T USB 3.0 SDR & DVB-T receiver RTL2823U +R802 Tuner Black
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 07:14:41 am by Rastus »

trapdoor

« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2015, 09:06:36 am »
At my location we get periods of very little CAT activity even on the airways. When I built the first box, tested it, nothing. No traffic showing at all. So I ran up FlightRadar24 to check, and that confirmed there was nothing within 80 or so miles of us.

So I waited until FR24 had a good selection of traffic, both inbound to BRS and on the airway (usually for us late afternoon) and tested it again, and confirmed it did work. But based on my first couple of tests, I could have sworn it wasn't working.

So now when I test I always check with FR24 to see what traffic is about. Also, it may have been said before, and you may have checked, but if you are running SD, you have set the 'Other Traffic' 'show within vertically' in Navigation Options up to say 50k feet so it doesn't filter most CAT out? The default setting IIRC is 5000' which is much too narrow a band for testing unless you are on the approach to Heathrow.

Admin

« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2015, 11:41:25 am »
Please see this message here, this should help once I get this release up on the web

http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,4.msg1021.html#msg1021

Rastus

« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2015, 12:04:14 pm »
Just reporting in after 45 mins flying around, under West Yorkshire controlled air space, and seeing a number of airliners.
I am afraid there was no sign of them on my iPad not a Scooby-do!
So as not to change parameters as we go I have NOT upgrade my Ipad to ios9.0
I have NOT adopted the upgrade to P upgrade issued a week ago.
SkyDemon said it was using Collision Aware (in the blue)
The Wi Fi didn't drop out
There were no failures of the Sky Demon screen.
It ran for the whole time I was flying

Where do we go from here ?
Am I doing something wrong?
Which elements would stop me seeing airliner outputs ,or stop the images being created if they were being identified?

Admin

« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2015, 12:16:23 pm »
Just reporting in after 45 mins flying around, under West Yorkshire controlled air space, and seeing a number of airliners.
I am afraid there was no sign of them on my iPad not a Scooby-do!
So as not to change parameters as we go I have NOT upgrade my Ipad to ios9.0
I have NOT adopted the upgrade to P upgrade issued a week ago.
SkyDemon said it was using Collision Aware (in the blue)
The Wi Fi didn't drop out
There were no failures of the Sky Demon screen.
It ran for the whole time I was flying

Where do we go from here ?
Am I doing something wrong?
Which elements would stop me seeing airliner outputs ,or stop the images being created if they were being identified?

I think the first thing is for me to get this latest upload, and see what information it provides.
If this does not move you forward, I suggest you send your PilotAware to me, and I will debug
the issue, its clearly taking to long to resolve.

How does this sound ?
Thx
Lee

Rastus

« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2015, 03:47:07 pm »
I just need to be sure what you mean by" Get this latest upload"?
Are you suggesting I send you the screen pics I have from the  booting exercise I reported on?
Thx
R

Admin

« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2015, 04:29:07 pm »
I am in the process of putting a new release on the website, this is the upload
I am referring to.

Once it is available, it has additional information in the web server which may indicate some issues.

If not, then I sugest you let me take a look at your PilotAware unit

Admin

« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2015, 04:30:13 pm »
I am in the process of putting a new release on the website, this is the upload
I am referring to.

Once it is available, it has additional information in the web server which may indicate some issues.

If not, then I suggest you let me take a look at your PilotAware unit

thearb

« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2015, 11:27:58 pm »
Just double checking, you have the altitude filter option on SD set to a high threshold?