Author Topic: Help for PilotAware Virgin  (Read 30412 times)

Rastus

Help for PilotAware Virgin
« on: August 29, 2015, 09:42:51 pm »
Having been excited by the article I read today in the LAA's mag Light Aviation I thought I would check out that the design as is would work with my set up which is:

Mini Apple iPad with NO built-in GPS,     Running Sky Demon,     Receiving a GPS signal via Bluetooth from a remote Garmin Glo gps

I hope this is a combination which suits the design and look forward to some advice

peastlake

Re: Help for PilotAware Virgin
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 09:07:53 am »
This is exactly my set up. On the ground in my work shop (spare bedroom!), it works okay. In the car/trike, once moving, the GPS location is lost almost immediately. Now it might be just me. Lee is investigating, as he's aware of the problem.

Rastus

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 11:56:27 am »
Thank you for your response.
I hope we get to know the outcome in the near future

Richard

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 08:14:41 pm »
Today I have had a really good test with the PlotAware in the air with fantastic results. With no dropouts from gps at all.
       With iPad make sure you first get your wifi hotspot active. Now open collision aware app. And connect. Now leave the app. running with out closing it. Now open sky demon select flarm and you should be good to go.

One question come to mind? Have you installed the latest version of the Pilotaware zip file to your device. Lee altered a time out function within the software last week?

Richard
Richard.
Europa XS

Admin

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 08:29:16 pm »
Hi Richard

That is great news.
I am pretty sure Paul has the latest version of PilotAware.
I also recall Alan Walker was using a glo on an early version of PilotAware,
and we did see some issues in that early release, but I think this was due
To some other bugs (since fixed)

This is good news and I think we need to continue gathering data

Thx
Lee

peastlake

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 09:39:11 am »
Today I have had a really good test with the PlotAware in the air with fantastic results. With no dropouts from gps at all.
       With iPad make sure you first get your wifi hotspot active. Now open collision aware app. And connect. Now leave the app. running with out closing it. Now open sky demon select flarm and you should be good to go.

One question come to mind? Have you installed the latest version of the Pilotaware zip file to your device. Lee altered a time out function within the software last week?

Richard

Good, I'm pleased it's working at your end. Of course, it doesn't help at my end! My "start up" procedure is exactly as described too. 

Lee put diagnostic messages which seem to show the DVB dongle & radio unit are working okay. So if it's not them and it's not the GLO, is it the WiFi dongle? But that shows a good (although not always super strong, even when 9 inches between the PilotAware & the iPad) signal in iPad settings...... My iPad is in a LifeProof case (really necessary when flying an open cockpit aircraft).

I will try another software download later

Richard

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 09:52:27 am »
P,
   I will try to carry out a genuine moving (in the car) test later today and report back...... (I.m at work this morning)

Lee seems to think it may be something else.

It will be nice to know if I can simulate the same situation you have.

Richard.
Richard.
Europa XS

Richard

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 06:49:50 pm »
Ok
    After testing this afternoon.......

Using:-
iPad mini first generation wifi only (not cellular) with version 8.4.1 iOS
Germin GLO. Bluetooth GPS receiver.
PilotAware with the latest version installed on the nano card.

Results are after running for 1.5hr and Driving around in the local area a stop (while having an haircut) for 30mins without turning off the PilotAware device, no drop-out of the GPS, fully connected with wifi and Bluetooth with no timeout or drop out.

I will try the same procedures using the cellular IPad mini Second generation, first turning cellular data off. This stops the iPad using the internal GPS chip. So to use the Garmin GLO Bluetooth. This will be tested the next time I get to the airfield.

Sorry P this has not helped you with your problem. But I'm shure you will be able to sort out the problem.

Richard.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 06:56:59 pm by Richard »
Richard.
Europa XS

Admin

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 08:02:31 pm »
Ok
    After testing this afternoon.......

Using:-
iPad mini first generation wifi only (not cellular) with version 8.4.1 iOS
Germin GLO. Bluetooth GPS receiver.
PilotAware with the latest version installed on the nano card.

Results are after running for 1.5hr and Driving around in the local area a stop (while having an haircut) for 30mins without turning off the PilotAware device, no drop-out of the GPS, fully connected with wifi and Bluetooth with no timeout or drop out.

I will try the same procedures using the cellular IPad mini Second generation, first turning cellular data off. This stops the iPad using the internal GPS chip. So to use the Garmin GLO Bluetooth. This will be tested the next time I get to the airfield.

Sorry P this has not helped you with your problem. But I'm shure you will be able to sort out the problem.

Richard.

This is a great data point Richard.
One question, was this using the battery source you have mentioned on other threads for iPad and PilotAware ?

Many Thanks
Lee

Richard

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 08:08:23 pm »
Lee,
   Yes, using the internal Garmin Battery.
 I did try to find the GLO firm-ware version but unfortunately nothing was found.

Richard
Richard.
Europa XS

Admin

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 08:14:01 pm »
Lee,
 I did try to find the GLO firm-ware version but unfortunately nothing was found.

Richard

Hi Richard,
Sorry I was referring to the powerbank you have mentioned previously
Thx
Lee

Richard

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2015, 08:44:02 pm »
Lee,

Richard

Hi Richard,
Sorry I was referring to the powerbank you have mentioned previously
Thx
Lee

Lee,
   Just using the power outlet from car with a small USB adapter. I'm not sure of the make it was a cheep eBay item. The charge2 power unit you refer is fitted into the aircraft panel, so not avalble for testing at home. I will test it under the same as described in this earlier post in the aircraft. All my earlier problems did stem from power cables. I'm now using the power lead you suggested in your power test.

Richard

Richard.
Richard.
Europa XS

Admin

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2015, 08:51:26 pm »
Thanks Richard
That is excellent news

I am now switching my computer & phone off,
forum and email have gone crazy since the LAA article  :o
Cheers Lee

Rastus

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 10:56:09 am »
Thank you all for your comments and test results.
As a result of your support I am now going to buy all the components so I can get started, and fly with greater awareness in the future.
Thank you Lee for your superb initiative

Rastus

Rastus

Re: Help for PilotAware Virgin NEXT Stage
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2015, 12:56:01 pm »
I am now trying to prepare myself for what feels like the trickiest bit...the Set-U, although I have yet to receive the regulator.
I have a number of questions. Please bear in mind my setup is iPad without GPS and has a Garmin Glo connected by Bluetooth.

How do you remove the JMP connection?
I have loaded Noors onto my SD and have just prepared to add the Pilotaware download . A lot of the files have the same names so do I just load the Pilot Aware onto the SDcard in addition or replace the Noobs with the ones from the PilotAware download?

On the PilotAware website it talks about getting a download from iTunes relating to how the GPS info is handled....Does this apply to an iPad without internal GPS? If so what is it called?

The last one is to say that I would love to see a fully detailed sequence for the Set up process combined into one place   i.e. including identifying which kit is turned on or off  etc. in one place.
I have been searching the Blog to collect all the guidance I can, however, by its nature has good info but not all in one place.
Is this reasonable to ask?
Thanks in anticipation