Author Topic: Vector shows PAW but not ADS-B signals  (Read 10445 times)

Mach2

Re: Vector shows PAW but not ADS-B signals
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2021, 12:18:26 pm »
I have a slightly different issue and request please:

RV-8 (G-RUVE 405F9B) with PAW,  ADSB(out) via FUNKE txpdr,  PowerFLARM Portable with all incoming tracks concentrated by PAW and displayed via wifi to SKD.  All tx & rx via external mounted antennae.

Checked radiation patterns using the impressive Vector tool which shows good cover for PAW and ADSB but zilch for FLARM. 
The internal IGC tool records a polar diagram of received FLARM traffic via the FLARM SD card but it does not measure tx.
PowerFLARM unit was removed and tested by LX which confirmed tx operating but signal strength not measured.  Either I put it back in the aircraft or send it to Switzerland for investigation.
Question - does the lack of FLARM data on Vector give a reasonable assurance that there is indeed a fault in my FLARM device tx?

John

steveu

« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2021, 02:31:33 pm »
Stupid question on my part but is the licence in the unit up to date? Some of the PG mob have been caught out with forgetting to renew?

exfirepro

« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2021, 03:13:07 pm »
Hi John,

I’ve just checked the PAW Database, and while there are loads (probably hundreds) of reports from your aircraft, over the period since 25th February 2021, from a significant range of PAW ATOM Ground Stations, I can’t find one single report of a FLARM transmission from that Hex ID.

This clearly indicates that either your Flarm device isn’t transmitting OR that it is transmitting a different ID (such as its default FLARM ID) from your aircraft (hence it won’t show up on a Vector (or database) search using the aircraft HexID).

Worth checking that your FLARM Firmware has been updated in the last 12 months (as per Steve’s post above - certainly not a stupid question Steve) and that it is configured to transmit your Aircraft ID, NOT the default FLARM one before you even think of sending it back to Switzerland.

Please let us know what you find.

Best Regards
Peter

Mach2

« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2021, 11:26:30 am »
Hello Peter,

The FLARM firmware is current and the LX ground test showed it was transmitting FLARM signals of at least sufficient strength for a bench test.  The HEX ID checked as correct.

I tried to test the FLARM using K Trax (see attached) but although their website talks all about FLARM, their data appears to come from the OGN so suspect that plot may be produced from PAW or ADSB data.

Next plan is to put the FLARM in the aircraft, deselect the ADSB(out) and turn off the USB power to disable integrated PAW and try again.  I will also try replacing the antenna cables and maybe try fitting an antenna direct to the PFLARM unit.

Vector does give us a window on what is really going on in our conspicuity effectiveness!  Just been comparing installed coverage to some new carry-on devices in our club aircraft and the differences are significant,  VMT

John

exfirepro

« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2021, 11:07:23 pm »
Hi John,

Sorry, I’m struggling to get my head round what is going on here (hence why it’s taken me so long to reply).

I also use K trax regularly. Although their data may be collected via the OGN network, the report will be based solely on FLARM data - which makes it even more surprising that I could find no reports of Flarm transmissions from that HexID on the PAW database. The K trax plot thereforecertainly shows that your FLARM has been transmitting during the period of the report.

You mention ‘deselecting the ADSB(out)’ and turn off the USB power to disable integrated PAW. Do you just mean ‘turn off your PilotAware’ or is there some more complicated link or setting that we need to know about?

Regards
Peter