Author Topic: New ATOM Ground station SDR Detection Issues  (Read 13552 times)

exfirepro

Re: New ATOM Ground station SDR Detection Issues
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2021, 01:49:51 pm »
Lee,

Kevin did say a few posts back that his Flarm dongle is in a waterproof box at the antenna on a 4 to 5m USB lead (so probably not powered) - this is effectively the same as I have run without any issues at East Fortune since Day 1 (though different SDRs). That doesn’t of course mean there can’t be a problem.

Kevin,

I have just come off a long phone call with Chris, who is responsible for the PilotAware GRID Network. He confirms that both your SDRs are running and sending Flarm and 1090 data to the network when traffic is available and that this is being rebroadcast via the PilotAware side so you can set your mind at rest on that score - .

When Chris phoned, I was actually in the process of checking the OGN Glidern3 server and saw UKRUF connected for at least 53 seconds, then it disappeared again - but this isn’t uncommon when local traffic levels are low.

That said, it would do no harm to try a new good quality SDR / cable or resite the dongle inside on decent coax.

From what I’ve seen yesterday and today, it would seem that your lack of reporting on the OGN sites is due to some sort of connectivity issue between your station and the OGN servers, Chris has said he will discuss this with Lee and if necessary they can raise this with the OGN developers, who we have found in the past to be very helpful.

Regards

Peter

kevkdg

« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2021, 01:57:34 pm »
Thanks Lee, Peter and Steve,

By the way, FLARM OGN is now up and running via the 1090 Antenna and SDR (it's only detecting 1 SDR at mo).  I can see the following at the bottom of the FLARM tab for UKRUF.  Maybe the FLARM tab beacon and status drop off when the FLARM SDR drops off?

I'll leave it like this until we resolve the real FLARM antenna SDR issue.

APRS beacon:
UKRUF>OGNSDR:/134109h5356.58NI00111.32W&/A=000079

APRS status:
UKRUF>OGNSDR:>134328h v0.2.8.ARM CPU:0.6 RAM:684.9/968.2MB NTP:0.0ms/-0.0ppm +39.7C 0/0Acfts[1h] RF:+0-1.0ppm/-0.90dB
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 01:59:59 pm by kevkdg »

Admin

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2021, 02:02:23 pm »
Hi Kevin. Peter,

The problem is that the performance is intermittent.
please refer to the post I made containing the kernel log message from dmesg
this shows a definite issue when trying to make a USB transfer, this is why the SDR keeps disappearing when typing "lsusb"

This could be due to either one of the following
1. Voltage drop over the long USB cable
2. Signal integrity issue over the long USB cable.

Long USB cables are renowned to suffer from these issues.
The best solution we have found, is to have a run of good quality lo-loss coax, rather than an extended USB cable

Thx
Lee

exfirepro

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2021, 02:08:42 pm »
Lee,

Could the fact that the software seems to be reporting the SDRs from different USB ports each time Kevin tries to run the config not be indicative of a fault in the Pi motherboard itself?

Just a thought - possibly wrong!

Peter

steveu

« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2021, 02:33:34 pm »

Are you saying the SDR is on the end of a USB lead ?

It is very possible you are seeing a voltage drop across that lead, causing the SDR to fail

how long is this lead ?
do you know what wire gauge (for the power) is on this lead ?
are you using a powered hub to drive this SDR over the lead, or is this connected straight into the PI ?

I have had this experience with USB and lead length, but just not on a PAW. It was with a USB scanner, but lead length was critical.

The issue is, and the fault is intermittent because the leads and the SDRs warm up/cool down and the voltage is right on the edge.

I'll guess that the highest quality, thickest cable available over the length required will sort the problem, and will be cheaper than a new SDR.

My USB extensions are the thickest, shortest cable I could find. They are only there to avoid damage to the motherboard.

May I make a suggestion with regard to USB power?

This:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-Voltmeter-Ammeter-USB-Voltage-Current-Meter-Power-Capacity-Tester/184574423883

or this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LCD-USB-Digital-Current-Voltage-Tester-Voltmeter-Ammeter-Power-Capacity-Meter-UK/264906196333

can be plugged in line at the end of the USB extension cable, before the SDR.

They will measure the voltage AT THE END of the cable run with the SDR plugged into the other side of it, effectively in line so you will get current AND voltage measurements. The second link is the best one.

I use these all the time to check everything from how good a charger is to if a USB port is dead, alive or low voltage. Got about 4 of them in various bags for various jobs.

A fiver. Amazing. One of those and a new USB lead will be less than a new SDR and less hassle than a re-cable, and if it fails, then new low loss coax for the whole route is the way to go.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 03:22:42 pm by steveu »

Admin

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2021, 04:02:43 pm »
Just to re-iterate
the issue could be voltage and/or signal integrity

this is a long stretch to have the very high speed signal not degrade as well as the power.

thx
Lee

steveu

« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2021, 05:29:26 pm »
Just to re-iterate
the issue could be voltage and/or signal integrity

this is a long stretch to have the very high speed signal not degrade as well as the power.

thx
Lee

Agreed, this allows us to eliminate, if the power drawn doesn't drop the voltage to an unacceptable level, then the fault lies with the signal. It allows us to see the voltage at the far end and have a clearer picture. We may have two faults.

I'd be very interested to know what the serial data rate is on the USB cable, but I assume this needs to remain confidential. I'm led to believe that it could be anything from 19200 to 115200 baud in the public documents for FLARM?

Admin

« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2021, 05:43:26 pm »
Hi Steve

I think you may be getting confused between USB and RS232 speeds.
The Speed of USB 2.0 is 480 MB/s - this is completely unrelated to FLARM RS232 data rates.

At 480 MB/s, signal integrity is critical. There are USB repeater cables available which are supposed to overcome this.
I think the best results we have are when the SDR is close to the Pi, and good quality low loss coax is used to the antenna

Thx
Lee

kevkdg

« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2021, 04:17:08 pm »
Hi Lee,

You asked previously about the USB cable.  I checked today.   Printed on it is:
High Speed Cable 2.0 Revision 28AWG/1P+28AWG/2C
AWM 2725
80 degrees Celsius
30V
Copartner.

Must be 4 to 5 metres in length.

Kevin

steveu

« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2021, 04:55:14 pm »

Lee gave me some superb off line help yesterday, not 100% PAW, but during the connected research I was doing I found out that 5m/16ft is the maximum length for USB 2.0 cables.

Citation:

http://www.yourcablestore.com/USB-Cable-Length-Limitations-And-How-To-Break-Them_ep_42-1.html

So everything has to be in tip-top condition for the 480Mbps data transfer to work.

Admin

« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2021, 06:20:17 pm »
Hi Lee,

You asked previously about the USB cable.  I checked today.   Printed on it is:
High Speed Cable 2.0 Revision 28AWG/1P+28AWG/2C
AWM 2725
80 degrees Celsius
30V
Copartner.

Kevin

Hi Kevin
Thanks, 28AWG is pretty bad I have to say. We use 20AWG for PilotAware power cables
the lower the number - the thicker the cable

20AWG = 0.8118mm
28AWG = 0.3211mm
https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/wire/awg-to-mm.html

Assuming the SDR is not suffering a HW fault (test by plugging directly to PI)
Then the way to go is placing the SDR locally, and running good quality (LMR400  ?) coax to the Antenna

thx
Lee

kevkdg

« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2021, 04:33:51 pm »
Hello,

Just to update, the UKRUF FLARM antenna is now connected using about 4 to 4.5 metres of HDF400 co-axial cable instead of the likely problematic USB extension cable.

A new FLARM RTLSDR USB card was supplied by Keith and is now in use plugged directly into the Raspberry Pi Top Left USB Port.

Ran the config yesterday, looked OK but was seeing a couple of messages as per below:

"WARNING: device 0 with serial number: 1090 cannot be found in dmesg log"

So today I performed a sudo reboot on the pi remotely then got this when I ran config again:

(15:53:52) FILESYS   : Mount RW                                                                                                                                                                                 

Stopping Services                                                                                                                                                                                                 
Do not plug in or remove any SDR dongles whilst this configuration script is running.                                                                                                                             
It is strongly advised to have the SDR's plugged in and then reboot the Pi before                                                                                                                                 
running this configuration script.                                                                                                                                                                                 
Found 2 SDR's:                                                                                                                                                                                                     
WARNING: Either an SDR has no serial number or two or more SDR's have identical serial numbers.                                                                                                                   
The configuration can only continue once all SDR's have unique serial numbers assigned.                                                                                                                           
The SDR's will now have their serial numbers changed to randomly assigned values and a reboot will be required.                                                                                                   
If any of the SDR's are plugged into a powered USB hub then the hub will also need to be powered                                                                                                                   
down at the same time.                                                                                                                                                                                             
Proceed with updating the serial numbers and reboot [Y/n]: y                                                                                                                                                       
SDRs renamed, you should reboot now                                                                                                                                                                               
Please rerun config afterwards                                                                                                                                                                                     
Do you want Reboot now [Y/n]: y

Following the second reboot, I re-ran config and the two  "WARNING: device blah with serial number: blah cannot be found in dmesg log" messages have now gone.

(15:57:53) FILESYS   : Mount RW                                                                                                                                                                                   

Stopping Services                                                                                                                                                                                                 
Do not plug in or remove any SDR dongles whilst this configuration script is running.                                                                                                                             
It is strongly advised to have the SDR's plugged in and then reboot the Pi before                                                                                                                                 
Found 2 SDR's:                                                                                                                                                                                                     
   USB Port Top Left    : SDR detected  ID=1  currently allocated to OGN/FLARM reception on 868Mhz
   USB Port Bottom Left : no SDR detected                                                                                                                                                                         
   USB Port Top Right   : no SDR detected                                                                                                                                                                         
   USB Port Bottom Right: SDR detected  ID=0  currently allocated to ADS-B reception on 1090Mhz
One SDR is currently configured for OGN and the other is configured for ADS-B reception.                                                                                                                           
Do you wish to change the SDR(s) configuration [y/N]: N                                                                                                                                                           
Do you want to change the PAW Antenna Gain value (5) [y/N]: N                                                                                                                                                     
...                                                                                                       
Test tuning of rtl-sdr device=1                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
Testing --ppm=-0 --gain=40                                                                                                                                                                                         
Capture @5ppm inrange=38 outrange=0                                                                                                                                                                               
Frequency Capture Improvement = 37 -> 38                                                                                                                                                                           
Receiver Xtal correction = 0-0.235 =  -0.235 (0.086) ppm [90]                                                                                                                                                     
setting APRS_SDR_PPM=-0                                                                                                                                                                                           
setting APRS_SDR_GAIN=40                                                                                                                                                                                           

Testing --ppm=-0 --gain=45                                                                                                                                                                                         
Capture @5ppm inrange=36 outrange=0                                                                                                                                                                               
Frequency Capture No Improvement                                                                                                                                                                                   
...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
Found Rafael Micro R820T tuner                                                                                                                                                                                     
Exact sample rate is: 2000000.052982 Hz                                                                                                                                                                           
Frequency = 920.000MHz..960.200MHz 2.000MHz step, 20 scans                                                                                                                                                         
Sampling rate    =    2000000Hz =    2.000MHz                                                                                                                                                                     
0.250sec per scan                                                                                                                                                                                                 
FFT: 1024 bins, 1953.1Hz/bin, 0.256ms/slide                                                                                                                                                                       
RTLSDR::Open(1,940100000,2000000) => Generic RTL2832U OEM,  940.100 MHz, 2.000 Msps                                                                                                                               
RTLSDR::Gain[29] =  +0.0  +0.9  +1.4  +2.7  +3.7  +7.7  +8.7 +12.5 +14.4 +15.7 +16.6 +19.7 +20.7 +22.9 +25.4 +28.0 +29.7 +32.8 +33.8 +36.4 +37.2 +38.6 +40.2 +42.1 +43.4 +43.9 +44.5 +48.0 +49.6 [dB]             
Open(1, 940100000, 2000000) OK                                                                                                                                                                                     
Tuner crystal correction set to 0 ppm                                                                                                                                                                             
Tuner gain set to 40.0 dB (device reports 40.2 dB)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
...                                                                                                                                     
Receiver Xtal correction = 0-0.340 =  -0.340 (0.298) ppm [139]                                                                                                                                                     
Note: when the receiver warms up the Xtal may drift 5-10ppm                                                                                                                                                       

########################## Summary ##########################                                                                                                                                                     
Station Name is                : UKRUF                                                                                                                                                                             
Station APRS Server is         : aprs.glidernet.org:14580                                                                                                                                                         
Station Latitude is            : 53.943130                                                                                                                                                                         
Station Longitude is           : -1.188770                                                                                                                                                                         
Station Altitude AMSL  [M] is  : 24                                                                                                                                                                               
Station Altitude GEOID [M] is  : 49                                                                                                                                                                               
Station SDR PPM is             : -0                                                                                                                                                                               
Station SDR Gain is            : 40                                                                                                                                                                               
Station SDR Freq Centr is      : 940.800                                                                                                                                                                           

Starting Services

« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 05:24:01 pm by kevkdg »

kevkdg

« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2021, 04:35:44 pm »
Above Post CONTINUED:

Interestingly before we changed the FLARM setup, and when it was running albeit with the temperamental FLARM set up it would often pick up an inrange number as follows:

"Capture @5ppm inrange=44 outrange=0"

BUT now seems to manage at most 38 so I tried a second run of config below, in which the gain figure differs as do some of the others but the same in range figure of 38 was achieved:

(16:02:00) FILESYS   : Mount RW

Stopping Services
Found 2 SDR's:
   USB Port Top Left    : SDR detected  ID=1  currently allocated to OGN/FLARM reception on 868Mhz
   USB Port Bottom Left : no SDR detected
   USB Port Top Right   : no SDR detected
   USB Port Bottom Right: SDR detected  ID=0  currently allocated to ADS-B reception on 1090Mhz
One SDR is currently configured for OGN and the other is configured for ADS-B reception.
...                                                                                                                                                                                                               
Testing --ppm=-0 --gain=30                                                                                                                                                                                         
Frequency Capture Improvement = 37 -> 38                                                                                                                                                                           
Receiver Xtal correction = 0-0.310 =  -0.310 (0.268) ppm [129]                                                                                                                                                     
setting APRS_SDR_PPM=-0                                                                                                                                                                                           
setting APRS_SDR_GAIN=30                                                                                                                                                                                           

Testing --ppm=-0 --gain=35                                                                                                                                                                                         
Frequency Capture No Improvement                                                                                                                                                                                   
...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
Found Rafael Micro R820T tuner                                                                                                                                                                                     
Exact sample rate is: 2000000.052982 Hz                                                                                                                                                                           
Frequency = 920.000MHz..960.200MHz 2.000MHz step, 20 scans                                                                                                                                                         
Sampling rate    =    2000000Hz =    2.000MHz                                                                                                                                                                     
0.250sec per scan                                                                                                                                                                                                 
FFT: 1024 bins, 1953.1Hz/bin, 0.256ms/slide                                                                                                                                                                       
RTLSDR::Open(1,940100000,2000000) => Generic RTL2832U OEM,  940.100 MHz, 2.000 Msps                                                                                                                               
RTLSDR::Gain[29] =  +0.0  +0.9  +1.4  +2.7  +3.7  +7.7  +8.7 +12.5 +14.4 +15.7 +16.6 +19.7 +20.7 +22.9 +25.4 +28.0 +29.7 +32.8 +33.8 +36.4 +37.2 +38.6 +40.2 +42.1 +43.4 +43.9 +44.5 +48.0 +49.6 [dB]             
Open(1, 940100000, 2000000) OK                                                                                                                                                                                     
Tuner crystal correction set to 0 ppm                                                                                                                                                                             
Tuner gain set to 30.0 dB (device reports 29.7 dB)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
...                                                                                                                                                 
Receiver Xtal correction = 0-0.319 =  -0.319 (0.282) ppm [132]                                                                                                                                                     
Note: when the receiver warms up the Xtal may drift 5-10ppm                                                                                                                                                       

Station Name is                : UKRUF                                                                                                                                                                             
Station APRS Server is         : aprs.glidernet.org:14580                                                                                                                                                         
Station Latitude is            : 53.943130                                                                                                                                                                         
Station Longitude is           : -1.188770                                                                                                                                                                         
Station Altitude AMSL  [M] is  : 24                                                                                                                                                                               
Station Altitude GEOID [M] is  : 49                                                                                                                                                                               
Station SDR PPM is             : -0                                                                                                                                                                               
Station SDR Gain is            : 30                                                                                                                                                                               
Station SDR Freq Centr is      : 921.800                                                                                                                                                                           

Starting Services

I hope UKRUF now provides a steady and reliable FLARM feed!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 05:24:35 pm by kevkdg »

kevkdg

« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2021, 05:19:14 pm »
With regards to the aforementioned "inrange" number being slightly lower than it has been previously when running the FLARM config (44 now 38), and in more general terms....

The new HDF400 Coax cable for the FLARM antenna goes through a hole in the wall that is shared with a Power over Ethernet cable which is routed to an external Internet Wi-Fi extender.

I appreciate you are meant to keep power cables away from Coax, but with it being low voltage(?) and that both the ethernet cable and the coax cable must have some element of shielding, is this likely to cause any noticeable issues?

Can probably re-route it if needed as we have separate holes for 1090 Coax, Pi3 Coax and FLARM coax... so what's another hole lol

Regards
Kevin
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 05:57:52 pm by kevkdg »

Admin

« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2021, 06:48:30 pm »
Hi Kevin
Please don’t worry about the inrange figures, this is simply using gsm signals to calculate the xtal drift

Thx
Lee