Author Topic: New ATOM Ground station SDR Detection Issues  (Read 13097 times)

exfirepro

Re: New ATOM Ground station SDR Detection Issues
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2021, 09:10:24 pm »
Hi Kevin,

That’s a similar setup to the one I have used for EastFortune, with the Flarm dongle (in our case an NooElec NESDRSmart TCXO one) mounted at the antenna and fed by USB from the main unit inside the hangar with the P3i Bridge and 1090 dongle.

There is nothing surprising in the GSM Scan results - they look pretty normal for ‘non TCXO’ dongles (both reporting as Realtek RTL2838 DVB-T, this is normal, though they may look different physically).

Re the lack of aircraft Reg details, the standard PilotAware software determines the aircraft Reg from a database of ICAO Hex ID’s. I’m pretty sure it doesn’t include a copy of the Flarm ID database, which would explain why the ATOM firmware also can’t translate Flarm (DD) Codes into Registrations for the Status Page. Have you checked how they display on the built in VRS?

Regards

Peter

kevkdg

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2021, 02:18:01 am »
Thanks Peter,

Both RTLSDR USB dongles are showing when I run "lsusb".  I noticed Flarm traffic being picked up from Rufforth Gliding activity yesterday morning (Sun 3rd Jan) before I went out at midday.

Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0bda:2838 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL2838 DVB-T                                                                                                                                         
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bda:2838 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL2838 DVB-T

With reference to FLARM:

When I looked at ...PWUKRUF/flarm on Sun 3rd around 4pm, it showed:

Traffic rates [visible/all]   
Aircrafts received over last 12 hours   0/0

Which was surprising given the OGN contacts on the morning of Sun 3rd.  Of which the screenshot attached shows in Grid view.

Now it seems PWUKRUF is showing as Red (Down New Stations) on the following page, even though the website reports that it is still detecting a heartbeat (nearby glidign sites PWSuttonB and PWUKPOC are green, and we PWUKRUF have been green previously):

https://ognrange.glidernet.org/?#PWUKRUF,max,lastweek,53.94300_-1.18870,9,#000000ff:#000000ff,

UKRUF is showing offline here (Down since Sun 3rd Jan at 13:04), previously this was green.

http://wiki.glidernet.org/list-of-receivers#toc37

Last time this happened (PW)UKRUF stopped picking up FLARM, but this was due to the RTLSDR issue (I think) which should now have been fixed.  However, it doesn't look promising.

With reference to 1090:

We are still looking good here:

https://radar.lowflyingwales.co.uk/pilotaware-contributors/

I guess we will need to wait until they're gliding again to see if the FLARM side has gone off line.  But I suspect it has!  I shall avoid re-running 'config' as that will stop and restart services and probably start it all working again, but what I need to ascertain is if it truly has gone off on the FLARM side.  But how to do this and ascertain the reason why???
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 02:21:16 am by kevkdg »

steveu

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2021, 09:48:21 am »
Glidertracker and Gliderradar both seem to think the FLARM/OGN side is down but the PAW side is up.

kevkdg

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2021, 10:19:24 am »
That confirms my findings.   What did you look at on those websites to determine this please?

Anyway to find out why the Flarm side might be down if both RTLSDR USB Dongles are still being detected by the Pi.  Is there any log file?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 10:23:44 am by kevkdg »

steveu

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2021, 10:52:51 am »
That confirms my findings.   What did you look at on those websites to determine this please?

http://www.glidertracker.org

Check RX is ticked in Menu drop down box extreme top LHS.

Click on mast icon to get PAW or OGN version of ground station.One is in yellow writing, one in red.

https://www.gliderradar.com/center/53.91041,-1.06705/zoom/10/time/15

Clicking the diamond should show two versions of the ground station, one is OGN, one is PAW. Clicking the RUF one now seems to offer OGN...

Anyway to find out why the Flarm side might be down if both RTLSDR USB Dongles are still being detected by the Pi.  Is there any log file?

Not sure but if you look at the FLARM status, what do you get?

I get this from the remote console:

Code: [Select]
RTLSDR OGN demodulator and decoder 0.2.8.ARM/Aug 28 2020

System
Host name ognpaw
Configuration file path+name /home/pi/rtlsdr-ogn-0.2.8/rtlsdr-ogn-paw.conf
Local time 10:47:02
Software RTLSDR-OGN 0.2.8.ARM
CPU load 3.1/3.3/3.6
RAM [free/total] 571.9/972.4 MB
CPU temperature +42.2 ℃
NTP UTC time 10:47:02
NTP est. error 1.0 ms
NTP freq. corr. -1.77 ppm
Position
Position.Latitude +51.19039 deg
Position.Longitude +000.68659 deg
Position.Altitude 51 m
Position.GeoidSepar +46 m
RF
RF.FreqPlan 1: EU/Africa
RF input noise -1.1 dB
Demodulator
Demodulator.DetectSNR 12.0 dB
Demodulator.PipeName localhost:50010
Demodulator.ScanMargin 20.0 kHz
Traffic rates [visible/all]
Aircrafts received over last 12 hours 0/ 0
Aircrafts received over last hour 0/ 0
Aircrafts received over last minute 0/ 0
Positions received over last minute 0/ 0
AntennaPattern ranges 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

This implies the FLARM subroutine is running. I may be wrong.

exfirepro

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2021, 11:23:35 am »
Hi Kev/Steve,

Sorry, missed all the above - I have been checking PWUKRUF via the various sites.

Got a print from Chris Gilbert clearly showing activity yesterday on all modes, but as reported the OGN and OGN supported sites (Spot-the-Gliders, Glidertracker and GliderRadar) all think the OGN side UKRUF has been down since yesterday at 13.04z. I wouldn’t read too much into the balloon colour on OGNRange, they tend to go red for all sorts of reasons - perhaps including time since last received traffic.

More importantly, I have just looked at the PWUKRUF Status via the data.pilotaware site (I have admin access to the network). You should also have received a link via e-mail giving you access to your own site Kev. If you login to it and look at the Flarm Status Screen via the Status Tab, the usual reference to the APRS Beacon and APRS Server links to the OGN Servers which should be showing at the bottom of the PWUKRUF Flarm Status Page are missing - the implication being that there is no link between your site and the OGN servers.

You said earlier that ‘ gliderradar is now fed by our ATOM station’, do you mean via the OGN feed or have you installed software to create a direct feed to gliderradar? If so, that could be the problem.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 11:25:15 am by exfirepro »

kevkdg

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2021, 11:29:04 am »
I've made no changes to Pi ATOM software not have I introduced any other software.

Monday 4th January Part 1 (due to max post length)

Yep, FLARM will be running now as I have just gone through the following processes, which to me either indicate potential software issues still OR maybe there is an issue with our FLARM RTLSDR and/or USB Lead running from just below the antenna in a weatherproof box for about 4 or 5 metres to the Raspberry Pi.  However, this was running previously fine in this configuration when it was just an OGN Station.

Any thoughts?  I am getting desperate!!

Due to obvious UKRUF FLARM issues I ran lsusb:

pi@ognpaw:~ $ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp. SMSC9512/9514 Fast Ethernet Adapter                                                                                                                   
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9514 Standard Microsystems Corp.                                                                                                                                                       
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Looks OK, so I decided to run "config" to check on the allocations etc

(10:36:28) FILESYS   : Mount RW                                                                                                                                                                                   
Stopping Services                                                                                                                                                                                                 
Do not plug in or remove any SDR dongles whilst this configuration script is running.                                                                                                                             
It is strongly advised to have the SDR's plugged in and then reboot the Pi before running this configuration script.                                                                                               
Found 2 SDR's:

It Hung, so had to "CTL-C" to cancel

Service then restarted automatically as reported on screen.

"lsusb" now only shows one SDR as follows:

(10:37:37) FILESYS   : Mount RO                                                                                                                                                                                   
~                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp. SMSC9512/9514 Fast Ethernet Adapter                                                                                                                   
pi@ognpaw:~ $

So, looks like the following (OGN/FLARM RTLSDR USB) has been lost:

Re-ran "Config":

(10:39:19) FILESYS   : Mount RW                                                                                                                                                                                   
Stopping Services                                                                                                                                                                                                 
Do not plug in or remove any SDR dongles whilst this configuration script is running.                                                                                                                             
It is strongly advised to have the SDR's plugged in and then reboot the Pi before running this configuration script.                                                                                               
Found 1 SDR:                                                                                                                                                                                                       
   USB Port Top Left    : no SDR detected                                                                                                                                                                         
   USB Port Bottom Left : no SDR detected                                                                                                                                                                         
   USB Port Top Right   : no SDR detected                                                                                                                                                                         
   USB Port Bottom Right: SDR detected  ID=0  currently allocated to ADS-B reception on 1090Mhz
SDR's serial changed to 868                                                                                                                                                                                       
...                                                                                                                                                           
Test tuning of rtl-sdr device=                                                                                                                                                                                     

Testing --ppm=0 --gain=0                                                                                                                                                                                           
Testing --ppm=0 --gain=5                                                                                                                                                                                           
...                                                                                                                                                                                       
Testing --ppm=0 --gain=50                                                                                                                                                                                         
Not a valid number: --ppm for option device                                                                                                                                                                       

########################## Summary ##########################                                                                                                                                                     
Station Name is                : UKRUF                                                                                                                                                                             
Station APRS Server is         : aprs.glidernet.org:14580                                                                                                                                                         
Station Latitude is            : 53.943130                                                                                                                                                                         
Station Longitude is           : -1.188770                                                                                                                                                                         
Station Altitude AMSL  [M] is  : 24                                                                                                                                                                               
Station Altitude GEOID [M] is  : 49                                                                                                                                                                               
Station SDR PPM is             : _UNDEF_                                                                                                                                                                           
Station SDR Gain is            : _UNDEF_                                                                                                                                                                           
Station SDR Freq Centr is      : 923.4                                                                                                                                                                             

Starting Services                                                                                                                                                                                         

Does this mean it is re-assigning my 1090 RTLSDR to OGN/FLARM allocation as it's changing the serial to 868?  I assume so as the default position is that there is always a FLARM SDR!

I Issued a "sudo reboot" and waited for it to come back online

Logged in and issued "lsusb" Now all RTLSDR's are again detected:

Re-ran config:

(10:47:52) FILESYS   : Mount RW                                                                                                                                                                                   
Stopping Services                                                                                                                                                                                                 
Found 2 SDR's:                                                                                                                                                                                                     
WARNING: Either an SDR has no serial number or two or more SDR's have identical serial numbers.                                                                                                                   
The configuration can only continue once all SDR's have unique serial numbers assighned.                                                                                                                           
The SDR's will now have their serial numbers changed to randomly assigned values and a reboot will be required.                                                                                                   
If any of the SDR's are plugged into a powered USB hub then the hub will also need to be powered down at the same time.                                                                                           
Proceed with updating the serial numbers and reboot [Y/n]: Y                                                                                                                                                       
SDRs renamed, you should reboot now                                                                                                                                                                               
Please rerun config afterwards                                                                                                                                                                                     
Do you want Reboot now [Y/n]: Y                                                                                                                                                           

I suspect this is because just before when only the one RTLSDR (1090) was detected, it changed its serial number to 868, so when the other (FLARM) RTLSDR was redetected following the "sudo reboot" it too would still have retained a serial number of 868, hence the clash.

To be continued
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 11:55:54 am by kevkdg »

kevkdg

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2021, 11:30:17 am »
Monday 4th January Part 2 (due to max post length)

Re-ran "config"

(10:52:37) FILESYS   : Mount RW                                                                                                                                                                                   
Stopping Services                                                                                                                                                                                                 
Found 2 SDR's:                                                                                                                                                                                                     
   USB Port Top Left    : SDR detected  ID=1  currently allocated to OGN/FLARM reception on 868Mhz
   USB Port Bottom Right: SDR detected  ID=0  currently unallocated
One SDR is currently configured for OGN and you have an unallocated SDR which could be used for ADS-B reception.                                                                                                   
Do you wish to change the SDR(s) configuration [y/N]: y                                                                                                                                                           
Which dongle do you want to use for OGN reception on 868Mhz? Enter it's ID, highlighted in yellow above: 1                                                                                                         
Writing serial number 868 to dongle ID: 1                                                                                                                                                                         
Which dongle do you want to use for ADS-B reception on 1090Mhz? Enter it's ID, highlighted in yellow above: 0                                                                                                     
Writing serial number 1090 to dongle ID: 0                                                                                                                                                                         
Test tuning of rtl-sdr device=1                                                                                                                                                                                   
Testing --ppm=70 --gain=35                                                                                                                                                                                         
Capture @5ppm inrange=43 outrange=1                                                                                                                                                                               
Frequency Capture Improvement = 32 -> 43                                                                                                                                                                           
Receiver Xtal correction = 70+0.262 = +70.262 (0.238) ppm [141]                                                                                                                                                   
setting APRS_SDR_PPM=70                                                                                                                                                                                           
setting APRS_SDR_GAIN=35                                                                                                                                                                                           
...                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
Found Rafael Micro R820T tuner                                                                                                                                                                                     
Exact sample rate is: 2000000.052982 Hz                                                                                                                                                                           
Frequency = 920.000MHz..960.200MHz 2.000MHz step, 20 scans                                                                                                                                                         
Sampling rate    =    2000000Hz =    2.000MHz                                                                                                                                                                     
0.250sec per scan                                                                                                                                                                                                 
FFT: 1024 bins, 1953.1Hz/bin, 0.256ms/slide                                                                                                                                                                       
RTLSDR::Open(1,940100000,2000000) => Generic RTL2832U OEM,  940.100 MHz, 2.000 Msps                                                                                                                               
RTLSDR::Gain[29] =  +0.0  +0.9  +1.4  +2.7  +3.7  +7.7  +8.7 +12.5 +14.4 +15.7 +16.6 +19.7 +20.7 +22.9 +25.4 +28.0 +29.7 +32.8 +33.8 +36.4 +37.2 +38.6 +40.2 +42.1 +43.4 +43.9 +44.5 +48.0 +49.6 [dB]             
Open(1, 940100000, 2000000) OK                                                                                                                                                                                     
Tuner crystal correction set to 70 ppm                                                                                                                                                                             
Tuner gain set to 35.0 dB (device reports 33.8 dB)                                                                                                                                                                 
Receiver Xtal correction = 70-0.633 = +69.367 (0.238) ppm [144]                                                                                                                                                   
Note: when the receiver warms up the Xtal may drift 5-10ppm                                                                                                                                                       

Station SDR PPM is             : 70                                                                                                                                                                               
Station SDR Gain is            : 35                                                                                                                                                                               
Station SDR Freq Centr is      : 941.000                                                                                                                                                                           

Starting Services

Re-ran config purely to double check the RTLUSB allocation looked OK BUT got this:

(10:57:15) FILESYS   : Mount RW
Stopping Services
Found 2 SDR's:
WARNING: device 0 with serial number: 1090 cannot be found in dmesg log
Most likely the serial number has been altered and the Pi not rebooted before running this script.
Reboot required
If any of the SDR's are lugged into a powered USB hub then the hub will also need to be powered down at the same time.
Please rerun config afterwards
Do you want Reboot now [Y/n]: Y

To be cont

kevkdg

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2021, 11:32:29 am »
Monday 4th January Part 3 (due to max post length)

After reboot I Logged back in and ran lsusb:

pi@ognpaw:~ $ config

Still got both RTLSDRs showing so ran config:

(11:01:03) FILESYS   : Mount RW                                                                                                                                                                                   
Stopping Services                                                                                                                                                                                                 
Found 2 SDR's:                                                                                                                                                                                                     
   USB Port Top Left    : SDR detected  ID=1  currently allocated to OGN/FLARM reception on 868Mhz
   USB Port Bottom Right: SDR detected  ID=0  currently allocated to ADS-B reception on 1090Mhz
One SDR is currently configured for OGN and the other is configured for ADS-B reception.                                                                                                                           
Do you wish to change the SDR(s) configuration [y/N]: N                                                                                                                                                           
Test tuning of rtl-sdr device=1                                                                                                                                                                                   
...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
Testing --ppm=68 --gain=45                                                                                                                                                                                         
Capture @5ppm inrange=44 outrange=0                                                                                                                                                                               
Frequency Capture Improvement = 42 -> 44                                                                                                                                                                           
Receiver Xtal correction = 68-0.292 = +67.708 (0.225) ppm [151]                                                                                                                                                   
setting APRS_SDR_PPM=68                                                                                                                                                                                           
setting APRS_SDR_GAIN=45                                                                                                                                                                                           
...                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
0.250sec per scan                                                                                                                                                                                                 
RTLSDR::Open(1,940100000,2000000) => Generic RTL2832U OEM,  940.100 MHz, 2.000 Msps                                                                                                                               
RTLSDR::Gain[29] =  +0.0  +0.9  +1.4  +2.7  +3.7  +7.7  +8.7 +12.5 +14.4 +15.7 +16.6 +19.7 +20.7 +22.9 +25.4 +28.0 +29.7 +32.8 +33.8 +36.4 +37.2 +38.6 +40.2 +42.1 +43.4 +43.9 +44.5 +48.0 +49.6 [dB]             
Open(1, 940100000, 2000000) OK                                                                                                                                                                                     
Tuner crystal correction set to 68 ppm                                                                                                                                                                             
Tuner gain set to 45.0 dB (device reports 44.5 dB)                                                                                                                                                                 
Receiver Xtal correction = 68-0.531 = +67.469 (0.198) ppm [150]                                                                                                                                                   

Station SDR PPM is             : 68                                                                                                                                                                               
Station SDR Gain is            : 45                                                                                                                                                                               
Station SDR Freq Centr is      : 923.800                                                                                                                                                                           

Starting Services

Now to double check (again), ran "config" and "CTL-C" to cancel and restart services

(11:04:19) FILESYS   : Mount RW
Stopping Services
Found 2 SDR's:
One SDR is currently configured for OGN and the other is configured for ADS-B reception.
Do you wish to change the SDR(s) configuration [y/N]: ^CStarting Services

All looked OK.

exfirepro

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2021, 11:59:28 am »
Kevin,

Nothing obvious in any of that to indicate why it keeps ‘losing’ SDRs - as you say, the Flarm one could be faulty, or perhaps moisture has got in somewhere - or there could be a hardware fault on the Pi.

I have just rechecked your Flarm Status page and there are still no APRS Beacon or APRS Status reports at the bottom of the page - so still no link to the OGN servers. I’ll check again in case there is just a delay, but I suspect NOT. There is plenty of 1090 traffic (both ADSB and MLAT) showing on your ATOM Status page and on your VRS Radar Screen, but probably no PAW or Flarm about locally.

Still waiting for a reply as to whether you have additional software running on the Pi to supply feeds to other websites. Edit: missed your reply right at the top of recent post - my apologies!

Also meant to say, that the config protocol is correct - if it only finds one SDR it will automatically suggest setting it up for OGN (ensuring rebroadcast of Flarm is higher priority than MLAT, which will still be received by local PilotAwares as ‘Bearingless’ Traffic - Flarm Traffic just won’t be seen!)

Regards

Peter
p.s. I will ask Lee & Chris to take a look and see if they can determine why it’s not establishing the link to the OGN servers.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 01:50:53 pm by exfirepro »

Admin

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2021, 12:45:22 pm »
Hi Kevin, Peter

It looks like a hardware fault, running dmesg shows the following errors, by the way 1-1.2 is USB: Top-Left

[Mon Jan  4 12:33:14 2021] usb 1-1.2: reset high-speed USB device number 4 using dwc_otg
[Mon Jan  4 12:33:19 2021] usb 1-1.2: device descriptor read/64, error -110
[Mon Jan  4 12:33:35 2021] usb 1-1.2: device descriptor read/64, error -110
[Mon Jan  4 12:33:35 2021] usb 1-1.2: reset high-speed USB device number 4 using dwc_otg
[Mon Jan  4 12:33:40 2021] usb 1-1.2: device descriptor read/64, error -110
[Mon Jan  4 12:33:56 2021] usb 1-1.2: device descriptor read/64, error -110
[Mon Jan  4 12:33:56 2021] usb 1-1.2: reset high-speed USB device number 4 using dwc_otg
[Mon Jan  4 12:34:06 2021] usb 1-1.2: device not accepting address 4, error -110
[Mon Jan  4 12:34:06 2021] usb 1-1.2: reset high-speed USB device number 4 using dwc_otg
[Mon Jan  4 12:34:17 2021] usb 1-1.2: device not accepting address 4, error -110
[Mon Jan  4 12:34:17 2021] usb 1-1.2: USB disconnect, device number 4
[Mon Jan  4 12:34:17 2021] usb 1-1.2: new high-speed USB device number 6 using dwc_otg
[Mon Jan  4 12:34:22 2021] usb 1-1.2: device descriptor read/64, error -110
[Mon Jan  4 12:34:38 2021] usb 1-1.2: device descriptor read/64, error -110
[Mon Jan  4 12:34:38 2021] usb 1-1.2: new high-speed USB device number 7 using dwc_otg
[Mon Jan  4 12:34:43 2021] usb 1-1.2: device descriptor read/64, error -110
[Mon Jan  4 12:34:58 2021] usb 1-1.2: device descriptor read/64, error -110
[Mon Jan  4 12:34:58 2021] usb 1-1.2: new high-speed USB device number 8 using dwc_otg
[Mon Jan  4 12:35:09 2021] usb 1-1.2: device not accepting address 8, error -110
[Mon Jan  4 12:35:09 2021] usb 1-1.2: new high-speed USB device number 9 using dwc_otg
[Mon Jan  4 12:35:20 2021] usb 1-1.2: device not accepting address 9, error -110
[Mon Jan  4 12:35:20 2021] usb 1-1-port2: unable to enumerate USB device

thx
Lee
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 12:51:43 pm by Admin »

kevkdg

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2021, 12:51:32 pm »
Thanks guys

However looking at the following sites which I believe are fed by the OGN network, it does or at least did for a time come back online:

http://wiki.glidernet.org/list-of-receivers#toc37 - Did say Down Since 03/01/2021 13:04 now says Down Since 04/01/2021 11:12 implying that it cam back following my reboot and config attempts this morning, albeit maybe it only came back briefly!

https://ognrange.glidernet.org/?#PWUKRUF,max,today,53.94300_-1.18870,10,#80000040:#008000ff,circles; - This was showing red (albeit with a current heartbeat), but now shows green.

https://www.gliderradar.com/details/activity/sid/755406 - This shows it coming back online under the activity tab.

And on the OGN Viewer App on my phone, when it was down it only showed PWUKRUF, it then came back showing both PWUKRUF and UKRUF.

However, thought I'd check config again,

Just ran lsusb and looked ok still:

Then ran config and it hung (as before) so CTRL-C'd out of it.:

(12:33:06) FILESYS   : Mount RW                                                                                                                                                                                   
Stopping Services                                                                                                                                                                                                 
Found 2 SDR's:                                                                                                                                                                                                     
^CStarting Services 

then run lsusb again, Device 004 is now showing as Device 000??

Bus 001 Device 000: ID 0bda:2838 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL2838 DVB-T                                                                                                                                         

Ran config again (no reboot) and CTRL-C'd out... SDR is detected in BOTTOM RIGHT PORT

(12:36:16) FILESYS   : Mount RW                                                                                                                                                                                   
Stopping Services                                                                                                                                                                                                 
Found 1 SDR:                                                                                                                                                                                                       
   USB Port Top Left    : no SDR detected                                                                                                                                                                         
SDR's serial changed to 868                                                                                                                                                                                       
Do you want to change the ADSB Antenna Gain value () [y/N]: ^CStarting Services   

Now lsusb has completely lost the FLARM(?) RTLSDR.

1090 RTLSDR and antenna have been auto re-allocated to 868 FLARM(?)

I ran the following which shows 1090 is not working now.  As expected if the 1090 has been re-allocated to FLARM.

pi@ognpaw:~ $ nc localhost 30003

Ran config again (no reboot). SDR is detected in TOP LEFT PORT... very strange

(12:42:00) FILESYS   : Mount RW                                                                                                                                                                                   
Stopping Services                                                                                                                                                                                                 
Found 1 SDR:                                                                                                                                                                                                       
   USB Port Top Left    : SDR detected  ID=0  currently allocated to OGN/FLARM reception on 868Mhz
   USB Port Bottom Right: no SDR detected                                                                                                                                                                         
...                                                                                                                         
Testing --ppm=-0 --gain=40                                                                                                                                                                                         
Capture @5ppm inrange=42 outrange=0                                                                                                                                                                               
Frequency Capture Improvement = 39 -> 42                                                                                                                                                                           
Receiver Xtal correction = 0-0.420 =  -0.420 (0.355) ppm [104]                                                                                                                                                     
setting APRS_SDR_PPM=-0                                                                                                                                                                                           
setting APRS_SDR_GAIN=40                                                                                                                                                                                           
...                                                                                                                                                                             
0.250sec per scan                                                                                                                                                                                                 
RTLSDR::Open(0,940100000,2000000) => Generic RTL2832U OEM,  940.100 MHz, 2.000 Msps                                                                                                                               
Open(0, 940100000, 2000000) OK                                                                                                                                                                                     
Tuner crystal correction set to 0 ppm                                                                                                                                                                             
Tuner gain set to 40.0 dB (device reports 40.2 dB)                                                                                                                                                                 
...                                                                                                                                               
Receiver Xtal correction = 0-0.371 =  -0.371 (0.332) ppm [100]                                                                                                                                                     
Warning: measurements appear inconsistent:                                                                                                                                                                         
please retry with better initial estimate or with lower gain to reduce distortions                                                                                                                                 

Station SDR PPM is             : -0                                                                                                                                                                               
Station SDR Gain is            : 40                                                                                                                                                                               
Station SDR Freq Centr is      : 921.200                                                                                                                                                                           

Starting Services

The above warning is typical when it runs FLARM through the 1090 SDR, however, it reported the SDR in TOP LEFT USB PORT (which is defo the FLARM port), but immediately previous config run (no reboots) detected it in the BOTTOM RIGHT which is where the 1090 is plugged in... so again strange things going on!

kevkdg

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2021, 12:55:32 pm »
Hi,

Should we purchase a new RTLSDR for the FLARM?  Or could it be the USB lead?

Any ideas why it detected the working RTLSDR (1090) on Bottom Right then straight after on Top Left USB Port?

Kevin

Hi Kevin, Peter

It looks like a hardware fault, running dmesg shows the following errors, by the way 1-1.2 is USB: Top-Left

thx
Lee
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 12:57:36 pm by kevkdg »

Admin

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2021, 01:01:50 pm »
Should we purchase a new RTLSDR for the FLARM?  Or could it be the USB lead?

aaah, maybe I overlooked some crucial information ?
Are you saying the SDR is on the end of a USB lead ?

It is very possible you are seeing a voltage drop across that lead, causing the SDR to fail

how long is this lead ?
do you know what wire gauge (for the power) is on this lead ?
are you using a powered hub to drive this SDR over the lead, or is this connected straight into the PI ?

Thx
Lee

kevkdg

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2021, 01:39:50 pm »
Hi Lee,

I did wonder, the USB Lead has got to be 5 metres long I would estimate.

I do not know the AWG but do know it is not very thick as this did concern me.

No power hub is being used.

However, this was the pre-existing OGN Station setup, as we upgraded this to ATOM, so left in place the existing FLARM antenna, with the weatherproof box immediately below it that houses the FLARM RTLSDR.  It seemed to work fine when it was just an OGN station.

I am thinking in terms of options:

1.  Purchase HDF400 co-ax cable and connectors PLUS required adaptors, new Temperature Controlled Crystal Oscillators (TCXO) RTLSDR and house the FLARM SDR in the Pi which is inside the clubhouse.  (Same concept as the new 1090 antenna and SDR).  Our existing FLARM antenna does not have the larger N type connector at the base, but rather some smaller type of connector (SMA perhaps?).  I know the more connectors/adaptors you have the greater the signal loss.  Keith has sent me prices.
2.  Try a new, lower rated AWG USB lead with existing RTLSDR (the lower the AWG number the better right?)
3.  Try a new, lower rated AWG USB lead and new RTLSDR.
4.  Just replace the Flarm RTLSDR with existing USB Lead.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 01:43:48 pm by kevkdg »