Author Topic: Vector plots  (Read 2726 times)

tnowak

Vector plots
« on: December 21, 2020, 11:27:07 am »
The PilotAware Vector facility is very good and I thank the PAW team for making it available to the GA community.

Do you think it would be useful if you can include a summary which ATOM Grid stations detected the data for the the aircraft selected?
For example, you only have data for one flight for me and I think I know which ground stations detected me.
However it would be good to have confirmation. Perhaps also an indication of the number of contacts per station?

Thanks

Tony

Admin

Re: Vector plots
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2020, 11:31:55 am »
Hi Tony
there are a lot of requests being looked at from users trying this out, so we are looking at all of these
as I am sure you appreciate this is not our core activity, so it has to be scheduled appropriately

in the meantime, if you PM your ICAO code, I could probably go and take a quick look
Thx
Lee

PeterG

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2020, 01:27:02 pm »
Nothing serious and I echo the compliments about this facility

Over the past days I've not been able to get access to the plots - the graph simply doesn't appear and I get  a time-out message data.pilotaware.com took too long to respond.

It may be simply that too many people are trying to access it at the moment,

Vic

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2020, 03:49:12 pm »
Very impressive! and a great PR feature for PAW

Here's mine which is better than I was expecting. C172, Rosetta with antennas directly fixed, on suction mount so it sits just above the coaming on the RHS

PaulSS

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2020, 04:30:23 pm »
Do you have ADSB Out as well, Vic? That plot is for both ADSB & PAW. I thought my PAW was good (40km) but that is with an external antenna etc. If your 172 is equipped with only PAW then 60km seems extremely good  :)

Vic

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2020, 05:14:37 pm »
Hi Paul, good point, no we don't have ADSB out but I guess The ATOM is working off just the Mode S when it has a PAW to reference  ..can anyone enlighten?

Here's the PAW only plot, still a couple of plots touching almost 100KM! Clearly more like I would have expected being front mounted with 2 large bags of water on the front seats! You can almost see their shadow! ;D
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 05:16:35 pm by Vic »

PaulSS

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2020, 06:02:22 pm »
HMmmm, I don't know what's going on there. Basically your output, as far as Vector is concerned, is PAW only. You don't have ADSB or Flarm, so the Vector system should only be seeing PAW. Strange that in the first diagram (where ALL was selected) is showed a much greater coverage and a significant increase in the number of 'hits' compared to the second. I would have expected them to be the same.

Mode S/MLAT is not included in the polar diagram, so I wonder why there is such a big difference between selecting PAW only and ALL, when the aircraft has PAW alone (as far as Vector is concerned)?

Vic

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2020, 06:20:02 pm »
Well, It certainly 'thinks' we have ADSB, ...or is this just the plain old Mode S transponder replies?  ..which ATOM is presumably using.

It certainly looks like it, as the deafness in the front two quadrants will match with the antenna being spattered with mud on takeoff!

Interesting that the max range is beaten by the PAW!

exfirepro

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2020, 01:07:50 pm »
Hi Vic,

That’s a puzzle - the intention is to add reporting for Mode-S, but to my knowledge it hasn’t been added yet. There is certainly no Mode-S selection option on the dropdown, (nor is there on the development site - I’ve just checked). I will speak to the guys.

Regards

Peter

exfirepro

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2020, 05:04:50 pm »
Vic,

I have sent you a PM.

Regards

Peter