Author Topic: Audio output from PAW and iPad  (Read 2589 times)

Altomar718

Audio output from PAW and iPad
« on: December 09, 2020, 06:32:03 pm »
Hi All - I have got Lynx Avionics headsets and set up, and just got Pilot Aware - Any ideas how to use an audio output from iPad AND Pilot Aware, so I can listen to the Pilot Aware and iPad using something in the ear UNDER the aircraft headset as there is no input into the headsets ??  -  Not sure if PAW has a Bluetooth output  and a Bluetooth ear piece paired with I pad and PAW would work I guess  ????? Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 06:34:53 pm by Altomar718 »

exfirepro

Re: Audio output from PAW and iPad
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 07:19:45 pm »
Hi Altomar,

You don’t half believe in making things difficult.

The ‘traditional’ way to get audio from two (or more) sources is to feed them into an audio mixer, which allows you to mix and balance the audio feeds, then feed the resulting ‘mix’ into your intercom and thence to your headset(s). After trying several other methods, that is what I now do in my plane.

But you say there is no input into your headsets. That is unusual - most intercoms have a way of incorporating additional audio inputs. I take it you aren’t using a Lynx intercom? They normally have options to feed external audio into the system - even if it means using an external combiner. I’m sure I have seen in-line adaptors which fit into the Lynx headset lead - have you checked their website?

PilotAware Rosetta does have audio out via Bluetooth, but you can’t ‘pair’ an earpiece to more than one source at a time (the clue is in the term ‘pair’). I would also be wary of wearing an in-ear device inside my aircraft headset due to the possibility of missing radio messages (though I have used dual earpiece headsets for emergency comms in my former life).

I have also tried using a bone contact Bluetooth headset (where the ‘speaker’ sits just in front of, rather than ‘in’ your ear) - under my normal headset inside a helmet, but found it very uncomfortable after a fairly short while and again I could only get one set of audio through this - hence why I changed to the mixer.

If you are happy using a bone-contact headset under your aviation headset, it might be possible to feed the output of a mixer into a Bluetooth Transmitter and then use the bone contact headset to pick up the combined audio, but I have never tried this.

Just a word of warning - DON’T try mixing your VHF comms audio with anything else unless you are very aware of what you are doing.

If you do manage to solve this conundrum, please let us know how you do it.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 07:21:55 pm by exfirepro »

steveu

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 07:36:07 pm »
But you say there is no input into your headsets. That is unusual - most intercoms have a way of incorporating additional audio inputs. I take it you aren’t using a Lynx intercom? They normally have options to feed external audio into the system - even if it means using an external combiner. I’m sure I have seen in-line adaptors which fit into the Lynx headset lead - have you checked their website?

Newer Lynx intercoms have an audio input, but unlike Microavionics with 2 x 3.5mm jacks, the Lynx has only one input and it requires a 3.5mm jack to Binder bayonet plug lead that costs a lot of money for what it is or is not easy to make up as the parts are not on offer everywhere.

I have a Lynx interface and tested the audio input with a borrowed PAW prior to buying a Rosetta of my own. I have said lead.

However, if it's an older Lynx with no audio input, you can disregard all the old nonsense I've just typed.

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 09:19:11 pm »
Hi Steve,

Thanks - I will add that to my knowledge base.

Best Regards

Peter

Altomar718

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2020, 11:19:58 pm »
Hi Peter

Thanks for the detailed reply, I will phone Lynx and see what they say re: audio input ..... I have a Eurostar the headsets plug into the dash with a circular 7 pin connection, so I am not sure what is under the dashboard !!

If the PAW and Ipad have bluetooth and this type of earpiece will connect with 2 devices - do you think that would work as I am not that tech savvy !!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bluetooth-5-0-Wireless-Headset-Headphone-Earpiece-Hands-free-Sports-Earphone-NEW/383717031885?hash=item5957513fcd:g:ip8AAOSwehZfXJGO
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 11:21:31 pm by Altomar718 »

steveu

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2020, 08:49:19 am »
Thanks for the detailed reply, I will phone Lynx and see what they say re: audio input ..... I have a Eurostar the headsets plug into the dash with a circular 7 pin connection, so I am not sure what is under the dashboard !!

They will ask you which model of Lynx you have - surely that is detailed in the aircraft paperwork? Either build, mod or supplied as factory?

Or a torch under the dash will suffice?

PaulSS

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2020, 09:00:52 am »
Any ideas how to use an audio output from iPad AND Pilot Aware, so I can listen to the Pilot Aware and iPad

What do you want to listen to from your iPad?

exfirepro

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2020, 10:20:30 am »
@PaulSS, presumably SkyDemon Audio Alerts

@Chris,

That earpiece will only pair to one Bluetooth source at a time - not both, so you would have to make a choice of either PAW or SkyDemon Audio. As it is an ‘in ear’ speaker with a memory-foam seal, you will also effectively negate hearing anything from that side of your normal headset.

Regards

Peter

PaulSS

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2020, 03:07:08 pm »
Hi Peter,

I assumed SkyDemon would be the case but just wanted to check. IF it is the case then I would be tempted to just go with the SkyDemon traffic audio (from PAW) and just accept there's no bearingless audio. At least that way there's no mucking around trying to get two BT devices to work at the same time.