Author Topic: PAW Audio Volume  (Read 2017 times)

PaulSS

PAW Audio Volume
« on: December 04, 2020, 10:52:28 am »
Yes, I know this has been said before but is there any way the audio volume can be increased? I have mine fed to a mixer (thanks Peter) and even with the PAW at max, the mixer gain turned well up and the mixer volume at max the young lady is still too quiet. I can hear her but some of the words are too quiet to make out, particularly some directions.

I would like to use the PAW audio instead of SkyDemon as I can then get the bearingless warnings and I have gone to a fair amount of trouble to hardwire the PAW audio, so would obviously like to take advantage of doing it in the first place.

We are all big boys and girls, so should be quite capable of deciding the volume we would like instead of having the maximum decided for us.

steveu

Re: PAW Audio Volume
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 12:50:27 pm »
+1 for this, but in my politest, fawning, most grovelling mode as it will simplify an install I have coming up the next two months.

Grovel, grovel.

Send me an address to send a box of beer from Honest Brew if it helps.

Did I mention I was grovelling? OK, I did, just in case it got missed... :)

exfirepro

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 04:11:48 pm »
Hi Guys,

We have been through this before and I'm pretty sure the answer will be the same... The maximum audio output level of the RPi is preset by the RPi developer to ensure the safety of their intended users hearing, - bearing in mind that these units are designed to be used to introduce youngsters (like ourselves - not  ;)) to computing. I know Lee has looked into increasing the internal volume before and found that the preset maximum volume can't be over-ridden within the Pi.

That said, a few users have over the years had success using adjustable 'pre-amps' between the Pi and their intercom (or mixer). The one I have personal experience of was sold as a 'Mono Audio Preamplifier Kit' by Maplin (no longer listed on their new website), but this one listed on FleaBay looks remarkably similar. Bear in mind that the audio output from PilotAware is mono, duplicated on the Left and Right Channels from the Raspberry Pi, so you only need to feed one channel into your intercom.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Velleman-K1803-Universal-Mono-Pre-Amplifier-Kit/123172294829?

At the price, I'd certainly be tempted to give it a try.

Another alternative, if you don't want the hassle of building anything is this type of thing which I know Keith has recommended in the past ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neoteck-Headphone-Amplifier-Portable-Rechargeble/dp/B07G953GHH/ref=sr_1_5?

or perhaps this one which I found during a search when the Neoteck one had temporarily disappeared off the Amazon Site (I haven't personally tried either of these myself)...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CYYL5SL/?coliid=IQLEA8919PA41&colid=2LV7ZMZCH2EA&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Hope this helps - if you do decide to try any of these please let us know how you get on.

Best Regards

Peter

Edit: Just found another alternative, though a bit more expensive - again not tried!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GH3K9Y4/ref=wl_mb_wl_huc_mrai_3_dp
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 04:19:35 pm by exfirepro »

PaulSS

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 04:51:11 pm »
Thanks again Peter. To be honest I thought it was the Bluetooth on the Pi that couldn't be adjusted, not the audio volume. Now I know it's a Pi function I will concentrate my efforts in amplifying before my mixer and avoid bothering the PAW technical bods  ;D

I quite like the Velleman kit because I could power it from the aircraft supply and hide it away. Most of the ready-built pre-amps say not to use it while charging and I really don't want to be dragging the pre-amp in and out of the aircraft to charge up. Lock up and leave is more my thing (along with no wires showing). I do wonder how the kit would react to my extremely agricultural soldering abilities  :o

Edited to add: What is the opinion of this one (with no soldering required)  :)    https://quasarelectronics.co.uk/Item/cebek-e-16-mono-audio-power-amplifier-with-preamp-module-5w-rms
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 05:07:14 pm by PaulSS »

AlanG

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2020, 05:36:46 pm »
PaulSS

If the mixer you are using is the one I suspect Peter recommended and is the same as mine the "Hart Just Mixer" then I am surprised your not getting enough volume from the Rpi.  Are you sure you have the volume in the Paw config page set to 10 because I find I do not need anywhere near full volume on the mixer and very little gain used (to keep white noise down) and volume to my headset  via the Trigg auxiliary input is absolutely fine.

Sorry for asking the obvious question.

Alan

exfirepro

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2020, 06:07:56 pm »
Hi Paul,

Alan has a good point, though obviously your setup could be different to ours. He uses the inbuilt intercom in his Trig radio, whereas I use the same Trig radio, but with a Flycom intercom. I take it you have checked that PAW is saving your volume settings?

The amp you have linked to is a 5 Watt Power Amp - which will be far too powerful for what you need and could potentially damage your mixer.

Personally, if you definitely need a built in amp, I’d give the Velleman kit a try.

Re Soldering... The main mistake people make when soldering electronics is to use far too powerful a soldering iron then compound this by putting far too much solder into the joint(s).

Most ‘Electronics Geeks’ will use a temperature controlled soldering iron or soldering station, but for ‘occasional’ (electronics) use, I get by perfectly happily with a small iron with a fine tip (such as this Antex 15 Watt one).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Antex-K782470-Soldering-Kit-Yellow/dp/B00D6F3C2Y

Not trying to teach you how to suck eggs, but I was always taught to keep checking the tip of the iron as it heats up, then clean the tip by wiping it gently on a piece of wet sponge (as supplied in the Antex stand). Next ‘tin’ the tip by applying a very small amount of solder to the tip and re-wiping it on the sponge before applying the point to the joint for just long enough to heat both the component ‘leg’ and the board so that a very small amount of the solder is drawn in when you briefly touch the end of the solder to the joint. If this doesn’t happen, remove the solder and the iron and try again. Don’t be tempted just to keep the iron in place and force extra solder into the joint. Also leave the joint to cool naturally - if you blow on it or otherwise to try to artificially cool the joint you are likely to end up with a ‘dry joint’ due to oxidation of the hot solder. If the iron gets too hot, just turn it off for a few minutes and let it cool down, before switching it back on and proceeding to the next joint.

That has served me well for at least 50 years, though I did treat myself to a new 15 Watt Antex iron recently.

Best Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 06:11:22 pm by exfirepro »

steveu

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2020, 06:55:52 pm »
Hi Guys,

We have been through this before and I'm pretty sure the answer will be the same... The maximum audio output level of the RPi is preset by the RPi developer to ensure the safety of their intended users hearing, - bearing in mind that these units are designed to be used to introduce youngsters (like ourselves - not  ;)) to computing. I know Lee has looked into increasing the internal volume before and found that the preset maximum volume can't be over-ridden within the Pi.

Thanks for the info, sorry about revisiting this, links to be pursued.

PaulSS

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2020, 07:51:07 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys; I appreciate any input.

I do have the Hart Just Mixer and it, too, feeds into the Aux of a TY91. The PAW volume has saved successfully at 10....in fact its never been changed since day 1.

The Aux volume is set high (although that does need setting each time. It's controlled through my MGL EFIS (no radio or transponder head in my panel) and for some reason it's not saving the previous settings....not a Trig or PAW issue.

One very simple thing I do need to check and that is the volume setting on the headsets. I did set those to max some time ago but it will be worth checking they haven't defaulted to a medium setting or similar. They are DC One Xeseseses.

The EFIS audio has a bit of a 'hum' when the mixer is cranked up and a little bit of noise in the circuit. I did have that on the PAW but one of the closed loop isolators got rid of that, so I will chuck one into the EFIS audio circuit. Very easily done.

The inclement British weather will give me plenty of time to tinker. Why on earth did I listen to my wife and move from Oz  :o