Author Topic: PAW Router  (Read 1775 times)

PaulSS

PAW Router
« on: June 14, 2022, 04:32:15 pm »
One of the great features missing from the iGrid instructions is the router function. This is great if, like me, you have a tablet with no sim card in it or just have a WIFI only tablet.

With the router enabled, when you connect your PAW to the phone's hotspot (and its 4G connection) you now get 4G piped to your sim-less tablet. This means you can enable the 'use Internet in flight' function in SKyDemon and get updated winds, NOTAMs etc.

I know you can always connect the tablet directly to the phone's hotspot but the router function allows you to have iGrid AND have 4G piped to your tablet.

Maybe I missed it in the iGrid write-up but I felt it too useful for attention not to be drawn to it  :)

Admin

Re: PAW Router
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2022, 04:39:37 pm »
Hi Paul

we deliberately did not draw attention to this feature, we wanted to get users familiar with connecting PAW to there cellular device first without burdening the support folk, but you are right this is a great feature, and we will promote it further once the dust settles

thx
Lee

dave_kent

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2022, 11:33:29 am »
So I need to:
    • Spin up a wifi hotspot on my phone
    • Connect the PAW to the phone hotspot
    • Connect the tablet to the phone hotspot
    • Enable the router option in PAW

Is that it?

Does this affect the way Skydemon connects to PAW?

Thanks, Dave

PaulSS

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2022, 11:38:49 am »
Not quite.

1. As you said
2. As you said
3. Connect the tablet to the PAW WI-FI (as you normally would)
4. Yes, but only needs to be switched on once and it’ll do it itself subsequently

No difference to the way you ‘Go Flying’……use PAW…..on SkyDemon, as you’ll still be connected to the PAW WI-FI as you always have.

tam_1955

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2022, 02:55:15 pm »
Where can I find instructions on how to connect a Samsung Android phones hotspot to the PAW dongle?

exfirepro

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2022, 05:33:05 pm »
Hi Tam,

Full iGRID instructions - including how to set up the connection to your phone hotspot - are available on the PilotAware website here... https://www.pilotaware.com/knowledgebase/igrid-operating-instructions

EDIT:- I should have said that although the initial instructions refer to iOS devices, it works pretty much the same with most Android phones (I have been using it on a Samsung Galaxy S9+ for over a year).

After installing the latest software and adding your iGRID WiFi Dongle, activate the Mobile Hotspot option in your phone (in Settings / Connections), then 'open' the Mobile Hotspot Tab and take note of the phone's Mobile Hotspot WiFi Network Name and Password.

Next connect to your 'normal' PAW WiFi (preferably on a separate device such as a tablet) then login via 192.168.1.1 and go to the 'Networks' Tab. Look for your phone's Hotspot Name which should appear on the list at the foot of the screen - or if not shown refresh the list by clicking on the 'Refresh' button. If it still doesn't appear, double check that the Mobile Hotspot is on and that you have a good 4G connection and that mobile data is activated.

Select the required phone hotspot from the drop down list, then type in the Hotspot Password and press the 'Save' button. The selected hotspot should now go green on the list. On future startups the mobile hotspot will auto select provided it is activated on your phone.

If you also want to allow other programs such as SkyDemon to access the internet in flight, 'Enable' the Router function, then enable 'Use Internet in Flight' in SkyDemon / Settings / Navigation Options.

Any problems feel free to come back on here.

Regards
Peter
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 06:05:41 pm by exfirepro »