Author Topic: Display on Runway HD  (Read 2952 times)

Crash one

Display on Runway HD
« on: November 20, 2020, 02:24:16 pm »
Sorry for more silly questions.
I went into Perth yesterday, which was busy.
Numerous audio alerts but quite low volume in the headset.
No traffic seen on Runway hd screen, while still receiving audio alerts.
Switched off WiFi then back on. One target appeared then disappeared. Nothing seen at all on the way to Kingsmuir though numerous traffic still in Perth circuit. I don’t know how many aircraft were transmiting anything. So this may be just luck.
If this is a power problem is it possible to connect the Anker power pack to Paw and recharge it from the aircraft at the same time?
Radar display showed several contacts when we were on the way to Pitlochry. But not on Runway hd.
Power is from the aircraft 12 volt through an Anker USB adapter. Volt meter reading solid 12 volts.
Baffled?
First time I’ve used it properly so not sure what to expect.

Admin

Re: Display on Runway HD
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 03:47:30 pm »
Can you post your Configure page from your pilotaware.

Also do you have any configuration filters set in RunwayHD

Thx
Lee

Crash one

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 09:07:06 pm »
Screenshot of configure page.
No filters set on Runway hd to my knowledge.

PaulSS

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 09:42:34 pm »
Was this in an aircraft or are you still experimenting in your car?

Crash one

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 10:32:20 pm »
In the aircraft between Kingsmuir, Perth and Pitlochry.
Busy day at Perth.

Admin

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2020, 07:35:56 pm »
Are these the instructions being followed?
https://www.pilotaware.com/knowledgebase/runwayhd

Crash one

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 12:46:23 am »
Yes I believe so.
Flarm on
Use Flarm for GPS on
Altitude filter +-40000ft
Device Pilot aware.

Can’t seem to do a screen shot, file too big.

Admin

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2020, 07:19:35 am »
Hi Crash one

Do Airbox have a forum you can try ?
William Moore the CEO is a user of Pilotaware, I am sure he will be keen to know of any issues
I will see if I can reproduce

Thx
Lee

exfirepro

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2020, 08:19:04 am »
Hi Crash,

I’m not a Runway HD user (I did have a complimentary developer licence for a while but it expired a long time ago), but just rechecked your PAW Config Settings and see you have the PAW ‘Device Connect Setting’ set to ‘PilotAware (UDP)’. From my reading of the setup, Runway HD is expecting the data in ‘Flarm’ (TCP) Format - or is that not significant Lee??

Regards

Peter

Crash one

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2020, 11:47:28 am »
The “testing” in the car that I did was using the radar screen only to see what it did when moving etc.
What I shall do here is drive to the top of a local hill, elev 1500 ft in clear line of sight with Edinburgh, Perth, Glasgow and sit still in peace.
It may be that Perth circuit traffic was mostly training aircraft, perhaps on mode c/s.
I shall try to get some sort of positive result one way or the other rather than one isolated flight, whilst flying the thing in a busy circuit.
Just surprised that the very clear bright green UFO looking things that Runway hd should display were not there although should be difficult to miss.
I have seen occasional traffic on good days with the unit on the window sill facing south and surrounded by trees. So the display is, or seems to be working correctly.

Crash one

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2020, 11:23:19 am »
I think I may have found something.
Having read the thread from bladeslapper. I have my Rosetta mounted with the box vertical with the “printed label” pointing to the left attached to the bulkhead by a bracket and the camera screw with 3” of the 865.5 antenna inside a nylon sleeve above the roof.
If Rosetta wants to be lying on her back for best performance, this will be attended to.

exfirepro

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2020, 12:11:32 pm »
Hi Crash,

Comments noted.

I still think the most likely issue will be a setting. Not being in any way critical, but Runway HD (in common with EasyVFR) is pretty complex in terms of the number and range of settings which have to be 'correct' for it to operate to best advantage.

From the PilotAware end, changing the 'Device Connect Setting' 'WiFi Protocol' in PAW / Configure from PilotAware (UDP) to Flarm (TCP)  is an easy thing to try to see if that makes any difference.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 12:18:00 pm by exfirepro »

Crash one

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2020, 06:26:24 pm »
Thanks Peter
I’ve changed it to Flarm TCP.
I’ll give it a go tomorrow and look at positioning as well.

Crash one

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2020, 05:28:13 pm »
Tried today. Everything perfect.
I think either Flarm TCP and or repositioning did the job. One target disappeared for a few mins as me and the engine got in the way of line of sight.I‘ll fix a bracket on the bulkhead as high as possible with the unit level and right side up.
Quite happy. Thanks for the help guys.

exfirepro

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2020, 09:28:23 pm »
Hi Crash,

Thanks for letting us know. Get back in touch if you have any more problems.

I did fly over a couple of times before the travel restrictions came in, but there was no-one about, so didn’t land. I will try again if/when they let us travel back to East Lothian again.

Best Regards

Stay Safe

Peter