Author Topic: PilotAware Classic Software Update  (Read 2526 times)

Steevo25

PilotAware Classic Software Update
« on: November 23, 2020, 12:37:43 pm »
Hi All,

I love the PilotAware, but I do find finding the latest updates quite daunting. I currently have a Classic with software version 20190621. I received an email from the mailing list in September saying there was a new version available. But the email contained no links as to where to download it and very little information regarding what type of update I need to do. I am used to using a PGP file on an SD card. The link in the email mentions a PGP file but the link point to a document on assembling a Rosetta.

After a lot of google searching I found a link to the current PGP file but now I am unsure sure whether I can just apply it over the version I have or I have to do a full manual install.

Current version seems to be 20201101. Can I just apply this to my current version or do I have to do a full manual install?

For the future, it would be nice if update notifications were a little bit clearer and contain links as to where to find things. Unless I am looking in all the wrong places, updates seem to be very confusing.

Regards
Steve

AlanG

Re: PilotAware Classic Software Update
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 02:24:46 pm »
Hi Steve

Link to software updates is:-   https://pilotaware.lode.co.uk/   Fairly self explanatory once your in there.  For Apple users there is a new App available that I believe makes it unnecessary to know the location but the poor relation Android users (like myself) must await some benevolent developer to port the App to the Android platform.

The App also only works with the latest Apple hardware and software but I'm sure from the Paw version you are using that you are able to simply use the .pgp file using a memory stick to update your unit as I currently do with the engineering versions I am testing.

Hope that helps

Regards
Alan

Steevo25

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 04:11:07 pm »
Many thanks for that, I have saved that link for future reference. That link does show an update PGP file for the latest version. That is 2 versions later than mine. Can I still just apply the update as the previous update only has a full install.

I am also only an android user. I gave up with Apple years ago.

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 07:17:10 pm »
Hi Steve,

As you are running 20190621, you can update to the latest 20201101 version by .pgp from https://pilotaware.lode.co.uk using a USB stick (for clarification you add the .pgp file to the memory stick, NOT directly to your microSD card). Anyone running anything older than 20190621, however, needs to do a full manual update.

As Alan has already said, you could also update by the App if you can persuade a friend or colleague with an up-to-date iPhone or iPad to help. Alternatively, if you have your PilotAware out of the plane, you can also connect it direct to your home (or airfield) router with an Ethernet cable and do a direct update via the router.

All these methods are described in detail in the in the Knowledge Base section of the PilotAware Website, ( https://pilotaware.com ) though for some mysterious reason ‘Update by Memory Stick’ isn’t listed in the Software Update Options, though it is detailed in the full user manual for version 20200906 - obtainable on the same website (an updated manual hasn’t been released yet for 20201101, but the changes from 20200906 are relatively minor).

Hope this helps

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 08:06:58 pm by exfirepro »

AlanG

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 07:47:15 pm »
Oh well

I've been out this afternoon and came home and trawled through my files and emails to make sure i was correct in my statement that the .pgp was ok for you to use.

Just managed to confirm it and see that Peter has beaten me to the punch.   ;D

Regards
Alan

Steevo25

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 09:59:05 am »
Thank you very much for the explanation,  that makes it all clear. I did actually mean USB stick when I said SD card in my post above.

exfirepro

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 01:41:30 pm »
Steevo,

I did suspect it was probably a ‘brain lapse’ (I have lots of those), but just wanted to clarify in case anyone else reading the thread gets the wrong idea.

Best Regards

Peter