Author Topic: Bluetooth GPS  (Read 3454 times)

apbedford

Bluetooth GPS
« on: October 29, 2015, 03:29:01 pm »
Finding the whole PilotAware project very interesting and exciting, and great work!

A query: I am currently using a 'standard' setup with an external Bluetooth GPS, connecting to an IPad Air (SkyDemon) via CollisionAware. I am using the latest software version, which boots automatically into PAW.

I wondered if it might be possible to use a Bluetooth USB dongle on the RPi and input GPS directly via Bluetooth. I know that this can be done generally with RPi, but it requires a command line interface to set up the stack. Is there any way to access this within the current software? No wish to breach Lee's copyright!

Re: Bluetooth GPS
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 04:06:52 pm »
I wondered the same thing and had a poke around as a technical exercise, but when a "supported" ublox gps dongle can be had for so cheap, what's the point of having a unsupported setup that would need modifying with each subsequent PAW release.

Admin

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 06:33:51 pm »
Hi

A bluetooth GPS is possible, but quite a way down the priorities I think.
As Mentioned by Michael, there is already quite a good solution for GPS at the moment with USB

thx
Lee

apbedford

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 07:12:09 pm »
Yes, I agree, the existing support is fine, and this is hardly a priority.  It was really just the interest of a technical exercise, as Michael says, that prompted the query. Well, that and making additional use of the slightly more pricey GNS 2000 and a spare BT usb dongle!