Author Topic: PAW with uAvionix Skyecho 2  (Read 2758 times)

kwatt

PAW with uAvionix Skyecho 2
« on: November 10, 2020, 11:49:02 am »
Hi All, I have read the previous thread on this topic but it is now about a year old. I am changing my aircraft and leaving my hard-wired PAW with my old aircraft. The new aircraft has a garmin modeS no ADS-B out xponder. I want to get the best EC without rebuilding the panel so I'm thinking of Just adding Rosetta as primary EC in and SE2 as ADS-B out (SIL=1) and keeping the existing xponder. Does anyone have a similar set up or a view on any likely interference between the units?
Ken

Ian Melville

Re: PAW with uAvionix Skyecho 2
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 01:58:28 pm »
As long as the same hex code is in all three devices, there should be no issue.

Mig29fuk

• G-MYUP. White Ox Mead Airstrip. Near Bath
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 02:01:51 pm »
I had your configuration on an Aircraft I recently sold. PAW for EC and SkyEcho 2 was ADS-B Out only. Worked fine and no problems with ID.
Gerry
G-MYUP
White Ox Mead Airstrip
Bath. England

kwatt

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 08:19:14 pm »
Thank you for the replies. Very helpful

Dave jones

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 06:20:44 pm »
I’m going to have the same set up. Just wondering what is the best mode to set the receive option to on the Skyecho2  when you have Pilotaware and SkyDemon.Any help much appreciated.

Mig29fuk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 06:56:55 pm »
Dave
I used PAW for everyything. SE2 was just enabled for Transmit. This means it is independent and doesn't need a connection to Navigation device.
Take a look at Configuration page.
https://uavionix.com/downloads/skyecho/SkyEcho-User-and-Installation-Guide-REV-I.pdf
Gerry
G-MYUP
White Ox Mead Airstrip
Bath. England

Dave jones

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2020, 08:47:20 pm »
Thanks Gerry. I thought that was the way to go
Dave

Smaragd

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2020, 08:40:13 am »
As I understand it, SE2 is permanently on for 1090MHz ADS-B receive. If you have PAW (as I have) then just stay with PAW for input to your nav display. However if PAW for some reason stops working then transfer the WiFi connection to SE2 and carry on! SE2 just arrived so when next possible I'll find out whether this is correct.

Mig29fuk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2020, 09:10:01 am »
PAW detects other PAW Users too, an added dimension. SE2 alone will give SkyDemon the GPS with Flarm (If subscribed) and ADS-B Traffic.
If I'm wrong please dont flame me. I'm old and frail and my only protection is a fully loaded AK47....... That could make me right on the matter!
G-MYUP
White Ox Mead Airstrip
Bath. England

exfirepro

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2020, 10:26:15 am »
Hi Ken,

No conflict with any of the previous advice - (I’m certainly not going to argue with Gerry’s AK47 ??? ). Both systems can supply ‘ownship’ GPS position data to your Nav Display (though not at the same time as your tablet/phone can only connect to a single WiFi access point at a time).

PAW will provide the maximum received traffic info to your Nav Display, with ADSB, P3i, and Bearingless Mode C and Mode S, + Positional FLARM and MLAT Mode S uplinks and METARs if you are within range of one or more of our ATOM-GRID Ground Stations.

SE2 will only provide traffic data for ADSB, plus FLARM if you pay the additional subscription to your Nav System provider.

Many users running dual systems do just run their SkyEcho as a ‘blind transmitter’ in parallel with PAW, but if you want to take advantage of SE2’s Direct FLARM reception, while maintaining the superior traffic coverage from your PilotAware, the best advice is to run your main display from PilotAware with a second copy of SD on a second tablet (or perhaps more practically a smartphone*) linked to your SkyEcho. One ‘SD’ or ‘SD + FLARM’ subscription allows use of SD on up to 2 mobile devices simultaneously, with live update, though (as reminded by Graham, below), there is nothing to prevent an ‘extra’ device(s) loaded with SD also being used at the same time, though if the ‘extra’ device(s) is/are ‘logged in’ to download data - such as route, notam, weather, airfield plates, etc., the older of the other devices previously logged in will be automatically logged out - and can’t be logged back in to SD without an active internet connection, so be careful. (Thank you Graham for the reminder).

*This doesn’t need to be a ‘live’ smartphone - a ‘redundant’ phone (without sim) will do fine as long as it’s still working and can access WiFi.

Best Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 01:30:36 pm by exfirepro »

grahambaker

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2020, 12:55:49 pm »
One ‘SD + FLARM’ subscription covers use of SD on up to 2 mobile devices simultaneously
Actually, you can use more than two mobiles devices concurrently running SD in moving map/traffic display mode; only two can be logged on for live updates at once.