Author Topic: Dummy needs help !!  (Read 1767 times)

Altomar718

Dummy needs help !!
« on: October 25, 2020, 06:51:27 pm »
Hi All

Got my half price PAW and set it up okay (I think) but one section has got me stumped.

I have read the manual and used Youtube, read about 'getting used to using the PAW before enabling the setting, but would have thought it best to be aware of a bearingles contact than not  ........ still unsure.

It is on page 12 of the current manual and it is the Mode C/S and Mode C/S 3D

I have never used one and have no idea of the technical terms etc. so please IN SIMPLE TERMS what are the best settings for the top sections on the attached picture i.e -  MODE C/S (options are Disabled, Mode-S, Mode-C/S, Mode-CS+Filter) - In the manual it mentions having a transponder but I presume ..... its if it is wired from the Trig TT21 to PAW

AlanG

Re: Dummy needs help !!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 08:19:56 pm »
Hi Altomar718

The first option Mode S/C +Filter should be selected if you have a working transponder on your aircraft irrespective of whether it is connected to the PAW.  This is to filter out your own Transponder signals.

The second option is fairly self explanatory in that your are required to read the information regarding the use of Mode S/3D which is on the PAW website and then acknowledge that  you have done  so before enabling this feature.  This is something you can return to the configure screen at any time to enable, if you decide to leave it disabled until you have had some time to get used to the system without it. 

As well as the textual documents, there are some very useful videos on the website which show how the Mode S/3D system works and its limitations.

Regards
Alan

exfirepro

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 10:33:25 pm »
Hi Altomar,

Welcome to PilotAware.

Ditto to Alan’s advice above. Likewise, I would far rather get warnings for pure Mode C / S than not - especially as a high proportion of GA traffic still has nothing else. You need to be aware, however, that you need to be ‘eyes out’ having received a warning - looking for the traffic in the direction (up or down) prompted by the reported relative altitude of the reported contact, but also keeping a good lookout for other traffic which may not be transmitting anything.

Depending on your chosen Mode C/S ‘Range’, there is a distinct possibility that you still won’t see the other aircraft, if for example you have selected Long Range and the aircraft is moving away from you on a diverging track or crossing behind. The other significant issue you should be aware of is that you can get a sudden ‘Danger’ alert (the highest of the 3 warning levels) from a CAT aircraft still outside visible range - due to the much higher power of CAT transponders. You need to learn to recognise this unique reporting ‘signature’ as it isn’t possible to safely filter out this type of alert. If you understand all this and are happy, feel free to switch on both Bearingless and Mode-S/3D Alerting.

Oh - and if you are using SkyDemon, you also need to turn ‘Bearingless Target Alerts’ ‘ON’ in SkyDemon/Setup/Navigation Options - it’s ‘OFF’ by default for the same/similar reasons.

Best Regards

Peter

Altomar718

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 09:30:41 am »
"The first option Mode S/C +Filter should be selected if you have a working transponder on your aircraft irrespective of whether it is connected to the PAW.  This is to filter out your own Transponder signals." - Explains it exatly - thanks for the replies chaps. I was talking to somebody who was explaining how PAW is wired into the transponder, and I had it in my head as that is what it meant ....... you chose one of those options only if its hard wired .........

Thanks again

Chris

PaulSS

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 09:49:44 am »
The PAW is wired into the transponder only if you want to feed the extended squitter of a Mode S transponder with GPS position, in order to allow the transponder to transmit ADSB Out. You wouldn't wire the PAW into a Mode C transponder as those don't have the facility to push ADSB Out.

My PAW is not wired into my transponder because my extended squitter receives its GPS position from my EFIS. However, I still have to let my PAW know the HEX code that is being 'transmitted' by my transponder and enable the filter so the PAW ignores that HEX code and doesn't warn me about myself.

If you take your Rosetta into various club aircraft then you should change the HEX code in the PAW if you're flying one different to the last time.

exfirepro

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 10:17:22 am »
Hi again Altomar,

Re-Reading your OP - I would recommend Mode CS (or Mode CS + Filter if you run a transponder), Medium Range (or initially Long Range to get used to the alerts unless you are in a busy area) and +/- 1000ft (though again +/- 2000ft or greater gives more indications until you get used to seeing them).

Regards

Peter

AlanG

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2020, 12:25:49 pm »
Altomar

One other thing to keep in mind is that you don't have to learn all this in a busy cockpit environment, you can set up your unit on the ground with a suitable power pack and link your chosen EFB to it and observe the traffic around you and play with the settings to see the differences.  Useful if you have another tablet or phone that you  can log in to 360Radar or FR24 for comparison.

Regards
Alan