Author Topic: Wi Fi connection  (Read 3909 times)

Johnhigh

Wi Fi connection
« on: October 24, 2020, 03:53:41 pm »
Having just purchsed a new Rosetta, I set it up using my Lap top connected through the WiFi. I then ran it with my I pad and sky Demon again using the WiFi successfully.
I then went to connect using my I phone 6S but despite getting the PA WiFi showing on the option list on my phone, I got a message saying It could not connect. I had disconected both the lap top and the I pad before trying the phone.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 04:12:49 pm by Johnhigh »

Admin

Re: Wi Fi connection
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 09:57:42 pm »
Hi John
Can you connect to the web pages ?

What os and skydemon versions are in use ?

Thx
Lee

Johnhigh

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 01:42:52 pm »
Works ok with other Wi-fi sites.
Using latest OS iOS 14.1
Have reset network settings but still to no avail.

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2020, 02:24:37 pm »
John,

Due to recent changes by Apple, if your iPhone is running iOS 13 or 14, you MUST be running the latest version of SkyDemon (for iOS this is version 3.14.4 260) on your phone, and the latest (20200906) version of PilotAware, or your phone can’t connect to external WiFi sites like PilotAware. That’s why Lee was asking which versions you are running - he was by the way referring to the PilotAware webpages (via your browser on 192.168.1.1)

Please check and confirm if this is the issue and whether you are running the latest SD and PilotAware versions.

You shouldn’t by the way need to disconnect any of your devices to connect a new one as PilotAware can run multiple devices including a mixture of Android and iOS at the same time. (SkyDemon is limited to a maximum of 2 portable devices with a ‘live’ connection but other devices can still run in the background, though technically ‘logged off’ and so won’t receive live updates.)

Hope this helps clarify the situation.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 02:26:50 pm by exfirepro »

Johnhigh

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 04:00:26 pm »
I have the latest IOS on the phone and the latest Sky Demon. The phone connects with other WiFi sites but says it is unable to connect with Pilot Aware. The Pilot Aware is only  week old so I summer it has the latest system on it. Other phones/pads connect to it ok just my I phone 6s. I can’t see Pilot aware on 192.168.1.1 mainly as I can’t join the Wi-fi. 192.168.1.1 works on other devices.

exfirepro

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 07:51:54 pm »
Hi John,

FTAOD the latest PAW version is 20200906 - which includes significant updates to address WiFi connectivity issues (created by Android and Apple).

One problem we have come across occasionally with Apple is that the device tries to add a prefix such as ‘http://’ or ‘https://‘ in front of the ‘192.168.1.1’ url and then says it can’t connect because your device isn’t connected to the internet.

The standard way round this is to click on the url bar and manually delete the prefix, or if that doesn’t work go into Safari in Settings and ‘Clear History and Website Data’ then try again. Hopefully that will work - it usually does.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 07:53:44 pm by exfirepro »

Admin

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2020, 08:56:52 pm »
Hi John

I think there is a little confusion

Can you confirm you are successfully connected to the Pilotaware hotspot
But, cannot browse the web pages

Or is the problem connecting to the hotspot

Thx
Lee

exfirepro

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2020, 10:24:54 pm »
Other phones/pads [including iPad] connect to it ok just [not] my I Phone 6s. I can’t see Pilot aware on 192.168.1.1 mainly as I can’t join the Wi-fi. 192.168.1.1 works on other devices.

John’s iPad and other devices including his laptop appear to connect to the PAW WiFi Hotspot, but his iPhone 6s won’t - hence my suggestions, though IIRC some of those who previously had problems connecting iPads with iOS 13, but whose iOS 13 iPhones had no problem connecting, have found that with iPadOS 14, their iPads now connect fine, but a few reported that their phones now don’t. Not surprising there is some confusion.

Peter
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 10:26:46 pm by exfirepro »

Johnhigh

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2020, 10:53:48 am »
I cant connect to the PAW hotspot with my phone. I see the hotspot on my list of possible WiFi connections but when I select PAW I get a message that says Unable to connect to Pilot Aware
annoying as I tend to use my phone as my prime SD source. I can use my I pad but its more intrusive in the cockpit.

Johnhigh

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2020, 10:57:28 am »
I have reset WiFi settings on my phone but to no avail.

PaulSS

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2020, 12:44:17 pm »
I find, sometimes, my iPhone does daft things with WIFI etc (not with PAW thus far). I know it sounds obvious and I'm not trying to teach egg-sucking but have you powered down the phone completely and then re-started it? I appreciate you have reset the WIFI stuff but maybe a complete re-boot might help. I only say this because that's what I do and its worked so far  :)

grahambaker

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2020, 12:47:43 pm »
Another thing to try would be to 'forget' the PAW network from the iOS list and reconnect afresh.

Johnhigh

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2020, 05:26:18 pm »
I have now reset the phone to factory settings and checked settings compare with those on other phones. Unfortunately it still won’t connect to PAW Wi-fi. Shame as Iuse the phone as my sky demon go to.

Admin

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2020, 07:52:08 am »
Hi John
Can you post a screenshot of the error you get on the phon

Also can you compare the setting between the 6s and a working ios device, after selecting (i) on the pilotaware hotspot

Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 06:59:48 pm by Admin »

exfirepro

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2020, 10:13:07 am »
John,

This is extremely unusual and very puzzling