Author Topic: Mode C/S separation  (Read 1529 times)

Altomar718

Mode C/S separation
« on: October 26, 2020, 07:26:00 pm »
In simple terms please, would somebody be kind enough to explain this setting as I am not sure what 'vertical separation' actually means?

The selections are +/-500 feet, +/-1000, +/-2000 etc.

exfirepro

Re: Mode C/S separation
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 08:08:06 pm »
Hi altomar,

This setting determines what Mode C or S aircraft are reported audibly by PilotAware and passed to your Nav or other display - based on their altitude relative to your own.

So for example, if you set the Vertical Separation to +/- 500ft, you will only be warned about Mode C or Mode S aircraft when they get to within 500ft above or below your current level and at a horizontal range (relative not specific) set by your choice of ‘Mode C/S Horizontal Sensitivity’. Remember raw Mode C and Mode S transponders don’t report their horizontal position - just their altitude, in response to a Radar or TCAS interrogation (the position is worked out by the ATC Radar).

For more information, please refer to the full User Instructions on https://pilotaware.com/documents

Feel free to come back if anything still isn’t clear.

Best Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 08:28:49 am by exfirepro »

Altomar718

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 07:24:43 am »
Exfirepro

Perfect answer and in nice easy simple 'language' to understand - Thanks for taking the time to answer

Chris

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 08:26:25 am »
Thanks Chris,

You are very welcome. You’d be surprised how many don’t understand how transponders work. It’s always rewarding to be able to help fellow fliers understand these things a bit better.

Best Regards and Safe Flying.

Peter

Altomar718

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 09:31:38 am »
Thanks Peter (Exfirepro - I was an exparamedicpro  ;D) - I think half the trouble is that manuals and websites are written by people who have developed the product and have an in depth knowledge of how, why and where things work and 'forget' the average person undoing the box does not understand the technical terms and lingo used to describe things. as in your reply - I have spent ages trying to find the answer from Youtube, FAQ's and the manual, but you simple line " if you set the Vertical Separation to +/- 500ft, you will only be warned about Mode C or Mode S aircraft when they get to within 500ft above or below your current level" explained it in a way a 'layman' could understand.