Author Topic: New station naming error.  (Read 2031 times)

timhilder

New station naming error.
« on: October 20, 2020, 12:35:53 pm »
I have finally got my Atom station up and running, it's only taken about 5 months (but I did have to build the hangar to screw it to first!).
We are at Linton microlight strip, just south of Maidstone.
In my excitement to get it working I did not do a thorough search of existing stations and have named it the same as an existing one at Linton-on-Ouse.
Do I just rerun the config and enter a different name?

exfirepro

Re: New station naming error.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 01:15:22 pm »
Hi Tim,

Yes,

You should be able to rerun the config by simply logging in to the Pi and then typing ‘config’ at the cursor. You don’t need to change directory or anything first.

Remember that the system automatically adds PW to the start of your chosen name for the P3i side with a total name length of max 9 characters, so ideally you want your enter your name with a max of 7 characters, or at least still make sure it still makes sense if truncated (to 7) by the addition of PW at the start.

Regards

Peter

timhilder

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 03:15:59 pm »
Thanks, I'll give that a go when I'm back at the field.
It will be much easier typing 'config' without changing directories, could the instructions pdf be updated to reflect this?

steveu

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 09:35:59 pm »
I have finally got my Atom station up and running, it's only taken about 5 months (but I did have to build the hangar to screw it to first!).
We are at Linton microlight strip, just south of Maidstone.

Well done!!

We have had a fair few come on stream in our neck of the woods, Laddingford, and one close to Rochester.

I put in a second Pi running in kiosk mode with a screen so we could see Radar and METARs before aircraft were pushed out or fired up.

timhilder

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2020, 07:47:49 pm »
The system is now up again with the station name Rankins.
I'm hoping having a few stations nearby will help with the multilateration.

I'll have to have a look at kiosk mode as that sounds like a useful addition.

steveu

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2020, 08:07:05 pm »
I'll have to have a look at kiosk mode as that sounds like a useful addition.

My experience was:

I loaded a slightly cut down version of Raspbian to run on a Pi 2B as the kiosk.

It couldn't handle the load of producing the required graphical display.

I swapped it for a Pi 3B and used the already programmed SD card.

It worked straight away.

I set up a batch file that starts Chrome, loads two tabs, METAR and RADAR, makes it go full screen then switches between the tabs every 45 seconds.

This means there is no need for a mouse or keyboard, or people who aren't familiar with Linux to try and get it to work. It just gets switched on at the beginning of the day, and switched off at the end of it.

The Pi 3B is HDMI, but HDMI -> VGA adaptors are available very cheaply on eBay, so old, first generation flat screens can be recycled.

Details of setting up a Pi in kiosk mode are available on the Internet.

Pi 3B has on board WiFi. Plug in a USB keyboard and mouse to make things easy.

I use Raspbian OS because I use Linux elsewhere and the Linux I use is a derivative of Debian, Raspbian is Debian on a Pi. Packages are .deb.

HTH.