Author Topic: PAW and SE2  (Read 2226 times)

RobertPBham

PAW and SE2
« on: October 11, 2020, 12:29:58 pm »
Hi all,

This isn’t a comparison post but hopefully some sensible questions - I asked the same question on another forum but it got lost with all the arguing!  :)

I already own a PAW Rosetta and have just taken advantage of the EC rebate to purchase a SE2.

My thinking is that ADSB out will be mandated in some airspace, somewhere, at some point.

So, my plan is to have the SE2 transmitting ADSB out only (I believe that is possible) and then run PAW to detect everything (as it’s detection capabilities are far superior due to the amount of things it can detect) and have the iPad connecting to PAW.

As I fly rental aircraft, long term fitting of a PAW is not possible.

So, will the PAW have issues with the SE2 - e.g. constantly detect an aircraft on top of myself as it is picking up the SE2 - can something be configured in PAW to prevent this or is that a feature request?

Would there be any affect on signal quality for detection/transmission running both devices in close proximity?

Is it possible to connect the SE2 to PAW so that I could purchase the FLARM subscription from SkyDemon and benefit from that should I be outside the PAW ground network?

Thanks for anyone’s advice.
Rob

Ian Melville

Re: PAW and SE2
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 12:41:45 pm »
No prize for guessing which forum that is :o. A hotbed of BS, misinformation and biased comments. It's amazing how many posters who know Jack Shyte about the technical or regulatory standards are 'Experts' on the subject.

As long as SE2 and PAW have the same Hex code then PAW will ignore SE2 ADSB transmission as it would a transponder with Mode S and ES. You just have to remember that you will need to switch profiles on both the SE2 and PAW and ensure they match.

Yet to be convinced that ADSB on 1090Mhz will every be mandated.

RobertPBham

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 12:46:52 pm »
Thanks Ian - that’s great news!

I have gambled on the SE2 and long term requirements but when it’s half price (with rebate), it’s worth the gamble - I also like toys so it’ll be interesting to see what it is like!

Thanks
Rob

Admin

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 12:52:55 pm »
Regarding the use of se2 flarm, thats difficult because they do not decode the data, the encrypted data is passed to SD
also, Paw would need to act as a wifi client to connect to SE2
Doable but not trivial

We are thinking on other solutions here

Thx
Lee

Ian Melville

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2020, 01:08:24 pm »
Lee, I think you answered a question that wasn't asked  :)

Robert said he was using the SE2 for ADSB out only.

Admin

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2020, 06:20:08 pm »
Hi Ian
I was answering this bit
Is it possible to connect the SE2 to PAW so that I could purchase the FLARM subscription from SkyDemon and benefit from that should I be outside the PAW ground network?

RobertPBham

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2020, 11:39:53 am »
Hi Lee,

Thanks for coming back to me - I look forward to hearing about the other solutions closer to the time.

Thanks
Rob

Ian Melville

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2020, 01:23:53 pm »
Hi Ian
I was answering this bit
Sorry Lee, for some reason I did not see that bit ::)

Deker

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2020, 06:56:46 pm »
James of Aircrew.co.uk is currently testing some new software to:-

Allow simultaneous connection of PAW via USB, Flarm via RJ45, and SkyEcho via its WiFi so that the Aircrew traffic display will show all sources of traffic  8) 8) 8)

Deker