Author Topic: OGN Upgrade - ATOM ground station  (Read 4035 times)

iain

OGN Upgrade - ATOM ground station
« on: October 10, 2020, 04:03:35 pm »
What is the correct way to update the OGN from 0.2.6 to the current version of 0.2.8

Tried -

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo reboot

via putty

Should i redo the install as per -

http://wiki.glidernet.org/wiki:raspberry-pi-installation
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 07:49:32 pm by iain »

Admin

Re: OGN Upgrade - ATOM ground station
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 05:12:33 pm »
The ATOM software is all controlled centrally.
I would not recommend doing what you have tried, you may brick the device and require a new install

Is there something specifically in the 0.2.8 release that you want access to ?

Thx
Lee

steveu

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2020, 06:27:24 pm »
I'm interested in this as a discussion, but Keith told me definitely not to mess about with the underlying OS, and I think Lee has also warned me off. I obey this for the story and reasons below.

As I understand it, with Raspbian just like with any Linux, compatibility issues exist and these are often resolved by things like pinning or fixed upgrades when the next release of everything is out and all the modules are know to be compatible. You'll sometimes see this if you use Linux Mint as it can lag behind Ubuntu, which lags behind Debian. I had an eeePC once, unlocked it to a full Linux desktop, then got sick of the lack of software choices and currency and added the mainstream Debian repository with no pinning, in anticipation of a lot more software choice, and totally bricked it, in terms of what knowledge I had. I had to do a full reset and start back at square 1.

BS from unqualified Southern oik:

When you sudo apt-get update, you only get update info from the repositories listed in the software sources. If the repository that the ogn software is in isn't listed, then it won't update.

If you add the repository that it lives in, without some sort of pinning or upgrade hierarchy, then the new version could bring in another load of new packages as dependencies which don't work with other, needed packages on the system. Broken...

You may know all this already, apologies if so...

As I understand it, and I'm interested in discussing this purely academically, the ATOM releases are with all known packages and are compatible. The replacement will also have a complete set of packages that are all compatible.

In between and unconnected may be Raspbian upgrades to various packages which work, negatively impact the ATOM ground station or break it.

As I understand it, the ATOM will auto update from one known all packages compatible release to the next, if it is after the release named as requiring a manual kick to the next one.

To provoke an auto update, if one exists, you could switch your station off, leave it ten minutes then switch to back on. Caveman approach to IT, but it works.

Mine's still on a time switch so it's off for about 3 hours a night.

Overarching engineering principle:

When it's working correctly, always, always, walk away.

The obvious conclusion is that it doesn't need mending.

If you attempt to mend it, the only expected change of state is from working to not working.

Engineering own goal.

I occasionally log in, ps ax, top and nc localhost.

Just to remind myself how it works and the password.

Otherwise, I just use it...

We ran up a new PAW Rosetta today before installation, and checked out the new functionality direct on  tablet and via SkyDemon.

Brilliant.

Admin

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2020, 06:39:59 pm »
follow up, I am testing the 0.2.8 decoder, I could probably get this released as part of a general update within the week
I see it now decodes Pilotaware, which is a bit superfluous TBH, but not harmful

Thx
Lee

iain

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2020, 08:12:31 pm »
Many Tanks Lee  8)

Hope i have not made a headache for you  ::)

The 0.2.8 decoder has a few advantages

Evolution of the ATOM ground station will be better for all in general aviation

'If its not broke don't fix it' attitude will leave us all stagnant

steveu

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2020, 09:31:55 pm »

The 0.2.8 decoder has a few advantages

Which are? Unless I'm much mistaken we all already have PAW reception? And we don't get stuff via the OGN servers?

Interested to learn if wrong...

'If its not broke don't fix it' attitude will leave us all stagnant

Agreed for the developers, but users bricking something when the developer has advised you against a course of action might not be progress?

YMMV...

iain

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2020, 02:19:35 pm »
Looks like the new update to OGN 0.2.8 has been rolled out, some of the ground stations have auto updated 

With OGN 0.2.8 Pilotaware is received via the USB SDR, so the bridge shows up as a device adjacent to the ground station

http://glidertracker.org/        (enable RX)

Don't think it will be an issue but might make the map a little more cluttered

Lee - What is your opinion ?

exfirepro

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2020, 07:33:59 pm »
Hi iain,

I spotted this this afternoon (thanks to a phone call from Eric C at Blackpool) and raised it with Lee. Provided the station has already updated to 0.2.8, a simple rerun of the config (with no changes) fixes it.

Lee is intending to do this remotely, but nothing to stop you doing it manually if you don’t wan’t to wait. If you aren’t already aware, this is now simplified - you just need to log in to the Pi and type ‘config’ at the command prompt, then hit enter. You don’t need to change directory or any of the other stuff. Just say ‘no’ (n) to any change prompts and all should be well.

I did my home station and another remotely as a test and both are now OK.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 07:39:54 pm by exfirepro »

Admin

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2020, 08:58:33 pm »
I can probably roll out a fix to the OGN config from the GRID

Thx
Lee

steveu

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2020, 12:12:14 am »
How to tell? Is it the presence of the directory rtlsdr-ogn-0.2.8 in the /home/pi directory?

Admin

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2020, 07:55:01 am »
Its rolled out now to all ATOM stations
Thx
Lee

exfirepro

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2020, 02:02:59 pm »
How to tell? Is it the presence of the directory rtlsdr-ogn-0.2.8 in the /home/pi directory?

Steve,

Rather than lead Station Maintainers down a path we’d rather they didn’t go down, let’s just say that the quickest (and safest) way is to check via Glidertracker, or ognrange.onglide.com - either of which will show the station’s PW software as 20201024 (or later) if updated, and the OGN side as 0.2.8 ARM.

For anyone whose station is still running PAW OGN-R version 20191008 or older - it needs a manual update to get to this stage - so please get in touch.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 11:39:20 am by exfirepro »

steveu

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2020, 07:21:42 pm »
OGN 0.2.8 is now detecting FANET only devices.

After the rebate is over, this is the affordable end of EC for HG/PG appearing on all FANET instruments, plus weather station upload.

Do we think we'll be uploading FANET to Rosettas? There will be some duplication with the FLARM TX element  of FANET+, which will need to be filtered, but these foxy looking FANET modules, with Bluetooth connection to the EFBs running on mobile phones will be all the rage soon.

Modules are about $50 with 3D printed case. No FLARM tx yet, but not sure how far off that is...