Author Topic: Was PWMurg down today?  (Read 5208 times)

neilmurg

Re: Was PWMurg down today?
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2020, 03:19:43 pm »
Yes it looks like the 1090 USB has failed again. How could you tell? -and- Thanks!
Redoing config now, 1st attempt failed with 'USB not named'(?)
is there a command to pipe the tty output to a text file?

PaulSS

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2020, 04:28:16 pm »
I don't think anything has failed as I am seeing traffic normally. I just think it's something at the OGN map thing that may be amiss. The only reason why I knew they were purple agin is because I happened to have a look......no other indications.

exfirepro

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2020, 05:11:47 pm »
Paul / Neil,

Not sure about the 'purple', though I think it is the equivalent for 'blue' stations as 'red' is to 'green', but the OGN stations going red (or purple) isn't particularly uncommon. It can mean there is an issue with one of the OGN servers, but IME it doesn't in any way affect the operation of or rebroadcast from our ATOM stations as we only feed data to the OGN - we don't take data from them (or at least not from their servers).

Regards

Peter

neilmurg

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2020, 06:39:43 pm »
That's 2 weeks in a row that logging in to the Pi has shown/reported the 1090 SDR isn't working, fixed by rerunning the config.
I may buy a new SDR.
While checking it out I noticed PWEGLK is offline.

neilmurg

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2020, 10:14:50 am »
This morning. Station appeared to be working OK, METARs and showing aircraft, although I got a local (192.etc) response on my PC bt not on my phone. Ran config twice:

(10:06:40) FILESYS   : Mount RW                                                                                                                         
Stopping Services                                                                                                                                       
Do not plug in or remove any SDR dongles whilst this configuration script is running.                                                                   
It is strongly advised to have the SDR's plugged in and then reboot the Pi before running this configuration script.                                   
Found 2 SDR's:                                                                                                                                         
WARNING: device 0 with serial number: 1090 cannot be found                                                                                             
Most likely the serial number has been altered and the Pi not rebooted before running this script.                                                     
Reboot required                                                                                                                                         
If any of the SDR's are lugged into a powered USB hub then the hub will also need to be powered down at the same time.                                 
Rebooting in 10 seconds                                                                                                                                 
Please rerun config afterwards

(10:08:16) FILESYS   : Mount RW                                                                                                                         
Stopping Services                                                                                                                                       
Do not plug in or remove any SDR dongles whilst this configuration script is running.                                                                   
It is strongly advised to have the SDR's plugged in and then reboot the Pi before running this configuration script.                                   
Found 2 SDR's:                                                                                                                                         
   USB Port Top Left    : SDR detected  ID=1  currently allocated to OGN/FLARM reception on 868Mhz
   USB Port Bottom Left : no SDR detected                                                                                                               
   USB Port Top Right   : no SDR detected                                                                                                               
   USB Port Bottom Right: SDR detected  ID=0  currently allocated to ADS-B reception on 1090Mhz
One SDR is currently configured for OGN and the other is configured for ADS-B reception.                                                               
Do you wish to change the SDR(s) configuration [y/N]:
Is this a problem?

exfirepro

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2020, 10:28:22 am »
Hi Neil,

Funnily enough (not funny really, sorry), I experienced the same thing recently when I reconnected my long running ATOM after having temporarily removed the Pi/Bridge unit to use the antennas and dongles to set up another station.

Replaced my original unit after I had finished, booted it up and re-ran the config with the dongles in Upper and Lower Left (which is where they always were) and got the same 'device 0 with serial number 1090 cannot be found' message.

Checked the dongles were in the correct slots and properly located then rebooted - this time all fine but still had to reconfirm 'use dongle 0 as 1090'. Rest of config went as expected and (AFAIK) the station has been running fine since (now well over a week). Oh and mine is still on a daily timer - off overnight.

Not sure how much this helps, but obviously something we need to keep an eye on.

Regards

Peter

PaulSS

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2020, 11:43:32 am »
I haven't touched a thing and yet this is the OGN map today. As I said before, I think this is a snag at the OGN end.

neilmurg

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2020, 12:22:36 pm »
Hi Neil,
Funnily enough (not funny really, sorry), I experienced the same thing recently...............................
Peter
Thanks Peter
It MIGHT just be a glitch the first time config runs and not be an indicator of a degraded station. It still sees loads of ADSB traffic (I'm near Heathrow) which is via the 1090. Now I'm learning to read the 'Front page' better I can see MLAT targets that are detected  locally. I'll keep an eye on it. Fof for the last 2 days has kept GA/Glider traffic numbers very low.
I will try and extract a pattern from the behaviour.