Author Topic: How to mute audio  (Read 4061 times)

marioair

• welcome to the PilotAware forum
    • View Profile
How to mute audio
« on: October 08, 2020, 12:13:35 pm »
My setup - PaW Classic with audio fed into intercomm. Display on Skydemon

There's a thread running on the Skydemon forum on the same issue - the amount of audio alerts.
I think its a BAD idea to mute audio alerts in the circuit - surely that's where you'll find lots of other planes!

However, it would be great to have the following options
1) No audio alerts when you're "on the ground*". Rationale - if i operate from an ATZ environment i'm happy to have a quick glance at skydemon but audio warnings over OTT during takeoff
2) Reduced audio alerts when in the circuit. I think its will be impossible to do - how would PaW know you're in the circuit. But my nirvana here- if I've set PaW to alert me on traffic in 10km - that's useful for the cruise. But not so much for a circuit. Like wise if there's traffic 2000ft above me in the circuit, I'm not immimently worried about it.

* speed < 20kts AND AGL<100ft for example

steveu

Re: How to mute audio
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 12:20:29 pm »
Depends on your radio/intercom set up.

Looking into a PilotAware install in an SSDR with Microavionics intercom, no screen but intending to use audio alerts, and it says in the manual that any incoming radio RX on the main radio input will mute the auxiliary inputs for audio.

Anyone with a Microavionics system able to confirm this?

marioair

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 12:46:29 pm »
My setup - PaW Classic with audio fed into intercomm (garmin). Display on Skydemon

You've misunderstood the question
I'm not talking about muting of RT/ATC audio versus PaW annoucments
I'm talking about reducing the volume of PaW audio alerts at certain stages of flight. I've posted on the Skydemon forum a suggestion....i think it has legs if Keith and Tim D are willing to coooperate

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic32012.aspx?PageIndex=2&Update=1#32330

My setup - PaW Classic with audio fed into intercomm. Display on Skydemon.

I've staretd a thread running on the PaW forum on the same issue - the amount of audio alerts.
Reason I've posted here is that I'd like the solution to be controlled via SD. Maybe a cheeky API integration?

Overall - I think its a BAD idea to mute audio alerts in the circuit - surely that's where you'll find lots of other planes!

However, it would be great to have the following options
1) No (or reduced*) audio alerts when you're "on the ground**". Rationale - if i operate from an ATZ environment i'm happy to have a quick glance at skydemon but audio warnings over OTT during takeoff
2) Reduced* audio alerts when in the circuit. I think its will be impossible to do - how would PaW know you're in the circuit. This is where something in SD would be neat  a button called "i'm in the circuit Tim, please be quiet, I need to concentrate" - But my nirvana here- if I've set PaW to alert me on traffic in 10km - that's useful for the cruise. But not so much for a circuit. Like wise if there's traffic 2000ft above me in the circuit, I'm not (immimently) worried about it. "even better if" - if i'm facing downwind i care about traffic on final converging with me. I dont care so much about traffic converging from behind me as that's how circuits work

* reduced range and height from me versus cruise notification
** my speed < 20kts AND AGL<100ft for example

TCAS has algorithms which are dynamic. it also mandates/advise actions.
What i'm talking about is a user controlled option to tell the EC device/data, to reduce it's sensitivity during certain stages of flight.
You can do this already in PaW for example - you set the height and distance and type of traffic you want to know about. My assertion in the circuit is that you want to know about stuff alot closer to you and on take off you probably want to know even less

the reason for postin on here rather than PaW (although I have on their forum too) is a usability one. I can do what i've suggested already through the PaW admin/app. But it'd be more dangerous fiddling with those settings in the take off roll or when doing an OHJ!

the "feature creep" that may be interesting is a two way interaction between SD/EFBs and EC devices. At the moment the EC device broadcasts on UDP and SD/EFBs fairly dumbly (no offence) display the data. That is why they are NOT TCAS devices.
However if the EC device is API enabled, you can allow the EFC to at least control the existing parameters dynamically, with the EC device still be responsible for deciding what data packets to transmit and using it's internal algorithms. The SD wouldn't be doing nay filtering out etc
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 12:49:42 pm by marioair »

JCurtis

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 01:52:11 pm »
Having a quick 30s think about this issue whilst waiting for some tea to brew....

If the audio is via SD, and you have a route input, then SD should "know" when you are leaving and arriving (taking off or landing).  You could even mark a waypoint as a "busy" point to reduce less urgent audible messages, SD could then geofence those locations with a user settable radius / relative height and apply a configurable filter to help reduce the verbosity of the audio announcements.  The radius could be set to accommodate the circuit, which would be part of your route setup.  As not everywhere uses nice regular circuits, i.e. for noise abatement etc.

If it's the audio from PAW, that is harder, unless SD could send data back to PAW with the locations.  Doing this exchange could be a simple as a grid reference and radius.  The PAW could listen for a broadcast packet with the data in.  Then all SD has to do is broadcast that packet, probably every few minutes in case the route changes.  The "what to filter" could then be set in PAW, so future PAW updates (or any EC device with audio out) wouldn't need a tweak by SD.  Broadcast is handy, as SD doesn't need to know the address of the EC device, and any EC device could listen for such data.

The definition of a packet containing a "quiet / do not disturb unless urgent" location would be fairly simple for SD to create, and broadcast.  EC systems could listen for it, or not, probably quicker to sort out than an API for PAW, and then possibly needing another one for a different EC device elsewhere.

Edit, after a swig of tea.  In fact SD could just transmit the next quiet location as the route progresses, or be told to do it with x radius of any aerodrome.  That way any EC device only need to keep track of a geofenced location to filter.  That might be a simple and efficient way of handling things.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 01:58:08 pm by JCurtis »
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

marioair

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2020, 02:30:25 pm »
yes that is kind of what i meant

SD will not, and should not i think actively filter out packets. Tim D would never do it and it's not right to.

marioair

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2020, 09:42:23 pm »
I take it back. Looks like Tim may do something on “ground mode”.

Could PaW do something similar? I use the audio from PaW not SD

PeterG

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2020, 09:52:57 pm »
I am now pulling the plug from PAW when I get to my destination. Too many alerts interfering with the radio.

The worst problem I've experienced was passing north of Wycombe during a gliding event. The alerts were continuous and blotted out my ability to speak to Benson.

I 'm still trying to work out the best compromise, so would welcome ideas

steveu

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2020, 11:09:52 pm »
I am now pulling the plug from PAW when I get to my destination. Too many alerts interfering with the radio.

It's been touched on elsewhere, but the output from your PAW, if that's where your audio is direct from (and not via SD) is on a 3.5mm jack.

You want a switch (for off) or a simple in line volume control if it can be placed where you can get to and it still connect to your PAW.

Suggestion 1:

https://www.kenable.co.uk/en/audio-cables/audio-adapters/7811-35mm-headphone-volume-control-for-stereo-35mm-jack-cables-adapter-007811-5055383478118.html

Suggestion 2 with shorting plug in input 2:

https://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-audio-switch-AB-Selector/dp/B0787VHMJH

You need something designed for TRS stereo audio not stereo audio plus mic as TRRS.

Failing that, make something up with male and female TRS 3.5mm plugs with a changeover/off/short to earth switch in the middle. Input 2 I'd have the L/R shorted to deck via 600 Ohm resistors, but that's just old fashioned.

I favour the flicked switch. Again, intercom dependent, but not what the OP wants to hear.

Admin

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2020, 10:35:27 am »
Could possibly add an audio button on the radar screen?

Alanr

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2020, 08:46:55 am »
I have yet to take delivery(hopefully this week I understand) of Rosetta so please excuse the probably basic questions:-

1/ Can audio be turned off completely within Rosetta?

2/ If I hardwire into Dynon Skyview can I have visual data input from Rosetta into Skyview without audio?

I do not wish to have constant audio messages in my ear when on final approach!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 08:51:08 am by Alanr »

marioair

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2020, 02:54:31 pm »
Any more updates on this? There’s a post on the SD threads with some suggestions around doing some more intelligent with audio alerts around the airfield.

If SD don’t implement it then perhaps on the PaW app to be used in flight??

Alanr

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2020, 07:40:16 pm »
As someone who has not yet received delivery of my Rosetta it looks like no-one wants to reply to my question it seems, so I guess the answer is there is no way currently of completely turning off audio in Rosetta?....Disappointing on both counts! :(

Admin

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2020, 09:17:03 pm »
Hi Alan
You can simply leave the audio disconnected, or fit an inline switch

Thx
Lee

Alanr

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2020, 02:14:05 am »
Ok Lee,

Thats good. I didn't know if for whatever reason that was possible. I suppose all will become clearer when my Rosetta arrives.

Thanks.

marioair

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2020, 09:08:57 pm »
There’s a thread running on SD forum about them maybe doing something on this issue.
However that only helps if you use SD audio.

If you use the PaW audio that doesn’t help you.

I suggested some choices around a config setting for ground mode and circuit mode (latter probably being impossible for PaW to deduce). But I think it would be good to have a reducing sensitivity when your airspeed and AGL height are low.