Author Topic: Help ICAO  (Read 3865 times)

Nigel waller

Help ICAO
« on: October 28, 2015, 10:09:17 am »
My PAW arrived today its all set and working what I don't understand is, You put your aircraft's 12 bit ICAO code into PAW, not the aircraft registration.
mine is a 24 bit code so what should I enter?

Nigel

Re: Help ICAO
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 10:15:58 am »
I believe you enter your six digit hex code

Admin

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 10:40:19 am »
My PAW arrived today its all set and working what I don't understand is, You put your aircraft's 12 bit ICAO code into PAW, not the aircraft registration.
mine is a 24 bit code so what should I enter?

Nigel

Hi Nigel

This should be 6 hex digit ICAO.
Is there a doc error somewhere that states 12 bit code ?
Thx
Lee

Nigel waller

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 11:09:32 am »

View Profile

Re: Newcomer to Pilotaware who is just a bit too dense to understand the basics 😊

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 11:08:20 PM »

1) and 2)  The PAW presents itself as a WiFi hotspot.  So instead of connecting to your router or some other internet providing hotspot, you connect your tablet to the PAW WiFi.  So you then have no access to the Internet

3) If the PAW you bought includes a GPS dongle, then that is what it will use.  If not, you run an app on your tablet which sends the GPS positions to the PAW, which in turn sends them back to SkyDemon.  The app is called CollisionAware on IOS, I'm not sure for Android, but search for that in the PlayStore.

4) You put your aircraft's 12 bit ICAO code into PAW, not the aircraft registration.  Hopefully this will get translated into the registration sometime in the future.  You can get the ICAO code for your aircraft from G-INFO.  However, PAW will generate a made up value initially, and you could just leave it set to that, at least until ICAO->Registration translation becomes available.

You will need to set up your SkyDemon to connect via FLARM, with a code of 6000.  Then when you 'Go Flying', select the FLARM option.  Also, set it up to show aircraft at +/- 40000' or so, so that you can see ADS-B traffic (probably airliners), to give you confidence that the system is working.

Richard W

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 11:57:04 pm »
Sorry, my mistake.  For 12 bit read 24.  Don't know what came over me.