Author Topic: Equipment List  (Read 2667 times)

gravityguy

Equipment List
« on: October 27, 2015, 01:35:58 pm »
Hi all, I've just discovered this amazing project and I am keen to get involved. I am however completely clueless when it comes to electronics. I have read through the construction manual and have purchased all components (except the ADS-B receiver dongle - as someone mentioned not to). I then read the post on here for Known Good Hardware and noted that it lists significantly more than the construction document

(slice of POD board (I don't even know what this is or does! lol), a DVB (I assume this is part of the ADS-B receiver?), GPS dongle (I already have a garmin GLO so is this required?), baro sensor (I assume this is for altitude info), SMA solder connector (no idea))

How much of the above do I need as a start (I've bought the raspberry pi b+, wifi dongle, usb cable, 4gb SD card and housing)? If I buy the DVB unit (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201349905111?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT) will this get me up and running or will I need more of the above items?

Apologies for the completely noob and ridiculously long first post but I am really keen to get involved.  ;D

Cheers
GG

Admin

Re: Equipment List
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 01:58:11 pm »
Hi

Please double check the construction document, at the moment we are not advising to build the RADIO part of PilotAware until further tests are completed, just build the ADS-B device, so basically all you need is

- Raspberry Pi B+ (NOT PI2)
- WiFi dongle
- DVB-T Dongle
- MicroSD Card
- Power
- (USB/GPS Dongle UBLOX-recommended)

Suggest you use the recommended Hardware page

Thx
Lee

gravityguy

Re: Equipment List
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 02:10:44 pm »
Thanks Lee,

I've now also purchased the GPS unit and DVB unit which should be everything. Hopefully it will be here before the weekend and I can test it on Saturday