Author Topic: Add External LED's  (Read 2047 times)

Kurt37

Add External LED's
« on: September 27, 2020, 05:47:34 pm »
Hi there,

short question: is there a way to add external led's to a Rosetta? I use it in a contained box and would like to see if it functioning correctly / or minimum if it is still on.

Normally the GPIO is used, but I guess it's blocked by the bridge, or isn't it?

Kind regards,
Patrick
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 06:23:40 pm by Kurt37 »

JCurtis

Re: Add External LED's
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 06:46:56 pm »
Perhaps a couple of strategic holes in the case, some glue, and some simple plastic fibre optic cable will let you remotely "see" the LEDs on the Bridge?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/0-75mm-100Meters-Light-Plastic-Fiber/dp/B06X3R8817
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

Ancien

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 10:59:28 pm »
 Why make everything so complicated?
If its not working you won't have a position on your Skydemon or whatever you are using.
Mine turns on with the master switch. End of story.
The kit has worked unfailingly for years. Stop worrying and get on with life!

Best
Bob

Kurt37

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 07:48:12 am »
Hi Bob,

a standard Rosetta-only set up might not need a visible status LED. However I am using a PAW Rosetta+Flarmbat+2 Flarmbooster.

Your thinking: No SD Position = Rosetta not working has its limitations here. E.g. the GPS is coming from the Flarmbat and could be a cause.
So that aside, if you have any ideas to contribute to the solution, that is well appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Patrick

Ancien

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2020, 04:40:49 pm »
Why not look at the home page on 192.168.1.1.
If you have four greens it's working. No wires required!
[I assume you have a phone or tablet]

Bob

Kurt37

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 05:40:41 pm »
yes I use an iPad mini 5.

Good idea. I don't really use the 192.168.1.1 paw interface, instead I am constantly on the SD moving map displaying traffic and warnings there.
So I would prefer a hands off solution. But your idea is good for root cause analysis.

Patrick

exfirepro

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2020, 10:51:14 pm »
Hi Patrick,

Having worked closely with you throughout your installation journey, and being aware of your thoughts and the physical setup of your kit, my suggestion would be to go with Jeremy C’s recommendation to use fibre optics. This should produce a nice simple ‘low tech’ solution, which will mirror the existing warning lights without the requirement to add external connections or additional electronic components.

Best Regards

Peter

Kurt37

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2020, 06:35:39 am »
I agree the glasfibre is the best solution. I have it on order and will post the results. I might even slave the led from the Flarm booster, which is powered by the Rosetta. So I know if that is working the Rosetta is on and working + the led is easier accessible.

Thanks
Patrick

SGS66

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2020, 10:27:34 am »
Hi Kurt,
I have just started using the iPad Split screen feature ie SD with
any PAW page - mostly the PAW radar page. This means switching
back to the PAW home page is easy where you can check the ‘greens’
I can’t think why i never used split screen before but saw it on PAW’s
latest utube tutorial. Thanks.
Rgds Phil