Author Topic: Authorisation to Install  (Read 1978 times)

G-AVOM

Authorisation to Install
« on: September 24, 2020, 08:41:26 pm »
I need to get PA fixed in the aircraft.  It works well sitting loose in the back but we are not getting the best value out of it.  My understanding is we have two options; (1) Aviation Grade Antenna installation kit or (2) Internal Antenna Installation kit.  Internal we can do right away as no approval is required but Aviation Grade is the preferred option.  I also understand that a 'blanket' approval will come into effect at year end.  Where can I find details of this to provide to the engineer who will do the work?

CS-SC004a — Installation of antennas (page 16) is not available to us since we already have a transponder in the aircraft.

JCurtis

Re: Authorisation to Install
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 09:45:47 pm »
I need to get PA fixed in the aircraft.  It works well sitting loose in the back but we are not getting the best value out of it.  My understanding is we have two options; (1) Aviation Grade Antenna installation kit or (2) Internal Antenna Installation kit.  Internal we can do right away as no approval is required but Aviation Grade is the preferred option.  I also understand that a 'blanket' approval will come into effect at year end.  Where can I find details of this to provide to the engineer who will do the work?

CS-SC004a — Installation of antennas (page 16) is not available to us since we already have a transponder in the aircraft.

Out of interest where is the blanket approval coming from?

Skimming CS-STAN Issue 3, where does having a transponder negates CS-SC004a ?

I guess for a PilotAware antenna the team would have to provide a written procedure for the fit and testing of such an antenna.  As being the manufacturer of the equipment the instructions need to come from them.   Naturally this needs to be in a form acceptable to your engineer to install.
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

G-AVOM

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 08:47:58 pm »

Actually JCurtis, I think you are perfectly right, I can no longer see any impediment to relying on CS-SC004a (not sure if I was looking at Issue 3 when I thought I had a problem).

G-AVOM

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 08:50:31 pm »

Looks like what I really need to do is fill in a form:

CAA Form 123 (SRG1759) Issue 00 Standard Change/Standard Repair (SC/SR) embodiment record

JCurtis

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 08:57:52 pm »

Looks like what I really need to do is fill in a form:

CAA Form 123 (SRG1759) Issue 00 Standard Change/Standard Repair (SC/SR) embodiment record

The form will need to be signed of by your engineer...

Release to service
This SC is not suitable for release to service by the Pilot-owner.

..however they can only install the antenna by...

Additionally, the following applies:
— The antenna is installed in non-pressurised secondary structure areas, unless the location is set for this purpose in the airframe documentation or provided by the TC holder (i.e. NTO), or the antenna is being exchanged and has the same footprint.
— The antenna is located in a distance to other antennas appropriate for the aircraft and the antennas.
— The antenna is compatible with the connected equipment and is suitable for the environmental conditions to be expected during normal operation.
— For aircraft certified to operate in known icing conditions, the new antenna is located at the same position and has a size similar to that of the existing antenna being replaced.
— Instructions and tests defined by the equipment manufacturer have to be followed.
— The performance of the new antenna installation or of the new antenna type has to be confirmed during testing after installation (e.g. range of radio).
4. Limitations
Any limitations defined by the equipment manufacturer apply.

So the bits in bold would require a written procedure from the PilotAware team, for the engineer to follow.  I suspect the post installation tests would need to be defined too.

The $64,000 question is would you engineer perform the install and sign it off if the information was provided.  I'd suggest you give them a call and discuss it.
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.