Author Topic: PilotAware Firmware Updater iOS  (Read 2546 times)

Admin

PilotAware Firmware Updater iOS
« on: September 25, 2020, 03:46:11 pm »
Please post questions here

Jerry Palmer

Firmware Updater Download
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 08:12:32 am »
Good morning all
Please could you advise from where I may download the updated app.  I’ve looked in all the usual places, but cannot find it.  Almost certainly my poor IT skills.  Any help very much appreciated. Thank you.
Best wishes
Jerry

A_Vinning33

Puck

Re: PilotAware Firmware Updater iOS
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 01:50:05 pm »
Yesterday I did the upgrade of my PA Classic with the PilotAware Firmware Updater iOS. The whole procedure was easy and uneventful. Thanks for this helpful tool.

PeterG

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2020, 08:51:16 pm »
Is this only for iThingys? 

exfirepro

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2020, 09:05:34 pm »
Hi Peter,

At the moment, the Firmware Updater is only available to run on the more recent (13 or 14) versions of iOS or iPadOS.

It was developed for PilotAware during lockdown as a ‘Project’ by a software developer and PilotAware User called Neil Hathaway, who is now working hard to develop a ‘universal’ version, suitable for use on any smartphone or tablet, but is of course ‘back at work’. Our grateful thanks are due to Neil for his commitment so far. Hopefully we will see the new ‘universal’ version soon.

In the meantime, the ‘best’ option is to speak nicely to your friendly local ‘Apple User’ (I have spent most of today updating PilotAware’s at my local airfield), but remember, that you can also update by USB stick, or by temporarily connecting an Ethernet cable from your PilotAware to your local router - as long as you are currently running software version 20190621. Anything older than that requires a full manual software update (or you will be able to buy a new microSD card containing the software from www.pilotaware.com shortly).

Hope this helps.

Best Regards

Peter R

PeterG

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2020, 10:36:56 pm »
Thanks for the update.

P

bsdchapman

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2020, 01:17:24 am »
The app isn't connecting to my PAW either from the iPad (mini 4 / iPadOS 14.0) or iPhone (iPhoneOS 14.2).  Simply says 'PilotAware Offline'.  PAW is accessible from Chrome on both devices, and I have the mobile network turned off too, just in case! 

Brought the unit home and updated via USB, and still no luck.

Any ideas?  Would be great to be using an app instead of Chrome!

exfirepro

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2020, 09:16:01 am »
Hi bsd,

I certainly haven’t come across this before. I wonder if the Updater App is suffering from the iOS connectivity problem we have seen SkyDemon suffering from, though I have been using it over the weekend on iPadOS 14.0 and although with a few ‘glitches’, certainly never unable to connect to any of the 10+ PAWs I updated. Unfortunately Neil is on holiday at the moment, so can’t check with him.

What software version are you currently running on your PAW? You say you have the unit at home and can connect via Chrome, so if it is 20200621, try connecting direct to your router with an Ethernet cable and update it that way (see the full instructions on the PilotAware Website at https://pilotaware.com/knowledge-base/software-update-through-internet/ )

If that doesn’t work, I’m afraid it sounds like the card has become corrupted, which will require a fresh firmware install on a new (or fully reformatted) microSD card.

Please let us know how you get on.

Best regards

Peter