Author Topic: METARS download facility  (Read 5469 times)

captchaos

METARS download facility
« on: September 25, 2020, 01:57:07 pm »
Just upgraded to the new release very smoothly (via the updater app -  nice option) and looking forward to seeing the the METARS uploads when near an ATOM station. My probably dumb question is can the METARS be passed to the EFB apps or is it only available in the PAW METARS table?

Many thanks.

Admin

Re: METARS download facility
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 08:59:57 pm »
Yes they can, its on the todo list
Thx
Lee

captchaos

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 09:05:19 pm »
Excellent, that would be very helpful, ipad split screen notwithstanding.

captchaos

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 03:10:33 pm »
I didn’t get any METARs appear during a flight from EGHP to EGHE. Is there something I have to “switch on”?

Admin

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2020, 03:18:10 pm »
You should have received the METARs at EGHP, there is an ATOM station at Popham
To confirm you were looking on the Metar page, and the data list was empty ?

I attach the METAR reported by EGHP right now 15:15 28/09/2020

davidbu99

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 05:59:08 pm »
All, managed to get a short trip out today to test the latest software release and also the METAR capability. The iOS App upgrade process was rapid and smooth and by far the easiest upgrade to date - definitely a positive!

Was on the South Coast so flew close to the PWSelsey ground station (see the SKD picture) and then took screen shots of the METAR page and also the Radar view as well. Working very much as expected and a tremendous upgrade in functionality. Well done to the whole team.

Integration to SKD would clearly ease the cockpit workload so hopefully that's feasible and on the roadmap somewhere (happy to BETA test if needed!).

captchaos

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2020, 07:39:14 pm »
Yes I looked at the PAW home page and clicked on the METAR button. Just some small heading boxes and no reports. PAW was receiving traffic OK. Will see what happens tomorrow.

grahambaker

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2020, 07:54:46 pm »
It can time for them to arrive. I also always see more when on the ground close to our local ground station than I do when airborne.

captchaos

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2020, 10:23:43 pm »
Ah, I was hoping to get them in the air.

exfirepro

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2020, 10:35:41 pm »
captchaos,

You will get them in the air, but it takes time for each Metar to upload from the Ground Station to your PilotAware, and also depends on there being a strong enough and reliable connection between the two during the upload period.

Regards

Peter

captchaos

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2020, 08:55:00 am »
Success, partially. On the return leg EGHE to EGHP I received a few METARs but only close to Popham. So at least my kit seems to work but it may be more of a coverage issue. I thought there were two ATOM station on the route to the west but may be they weren’t working. Hopefully more stations will be set up in the South West to support this new feature.

Admin

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2020, 09:52:44 am »
Success, partially. On the return leg EGHE to EGHP I received a few METARs but only close to Popham. So at least my kit seems to work but it may be more of a coverage issue. I thought there were two ATOM station on the route to the west but may be they weren’t working. Hopefully more stations will be set up in the South West to support this new feature.
Sending you an email, let me have your ICAO code and I can see what visibility you have from the network and back again.
Can you describe your installation
- Aircraft type
- Antenna type and location

thx
Lee

captchaos

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2020, 10:33:08 am »
Lee, thanks for the quick response. Email sent.

Uptimist

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2020, 02:53:47 pm »
I haven’t had much joy so far with Metars. First try was when in the vicinity of Reading On Monday, no ground stations being picked up. Second was today, from Biggin to Cambridge return via London City overhead. First trip was with PAW mounted where I normally have it under back window of 182 in luggage bay. Second was on side window of PA31 over the wing a bit.  How sensitive is positioning to ground station reception? Problem might be what’s good for GPS is bad for ground and vice versa.

Could someone remind me of a good link to show ground station network map/status? Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 05:35:02 pm by Uptimist »

steveu

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2020, 04:59:13 pm »
Could someone remind me of a good link to show ground station network map/status? Thanks.

https://ognrange.glidernet.org