Author Topic: Radio interference  (Read 7433 times)

JCurtis

Re: Radio interference
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2020, 11:23:43 pm »
So do you put the rubber duck antenna on the connector for the Quantum antenna, or disconnect the A6 from the aircraft wiring and fit it direct?

Is the radio connected to the intercom, and does the radio still splat if on the aircraft antenna but not connected to the intercom?

Is the PAW audio connected to the intercom too?  If so, does the splat go away if this is disconnected?

Any cables (any type) in close(ish) proximity to the PAW antenna?
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

steveu

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2020, 11:37:35 pm »
So do you put the rubber duck antenna on the connector for the Quantum antenna, or disconnect the A6 from the aircraft wiring and fit it direct?

I fit the rubber duck to the BNC output on the radio, thus bypassing the aircraft aerial install completely, so direct.

Is the radio connected to the intercom, and does the radio still splat if on the aircraft antenna but not connected to the intercom?

The radio is connected to the intercom. I didn't think to disconnect the radio from the intercom but leave it connected to the aircraft antenna. I will do this.

Is the PAW audio connected to the intercom too?  If so, does the splat go away if this is disconnected?

The PAW audio was connected but only later to see if it would make the problem worse.

So, the problem exists when the PAW is not connected to the intercom for audio injection.

Any cables (any type) in close(ish) proximity to the PAW antenna?

Not that I can seen but I need to re-check the route for the radio audio in/out lead.

The radio RX indicator comes on when the splat is heard.

Merlin29

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2020, 11:45:24 am »

I will take a look at the actual model of Anker Powerbank you are using and see if that gives any pointers.

Please keep us posted of developments.

Did you ever get chance to look at this Powerbank and see if there is an issue with this model. I would like to buy a secondary powerbank as I think I left it plugged in after I flew yesterday! Would be good to have a spare anyway!

steveu

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2020, 06:06:51 pm »
Update

Update based on JCurtis pointers:

Inner/screen on coax measured, open with AVO.

Radio set to Headcorn, 122.210

Radio with rubber duck on its own battery, unconnected to aircraft in any way = perfect

Radio with aircraft antenna on its own battery, unconnected to aircraft power or intercom = badly splatting

Looks like antenna.

Second unattached radio with rubber duck tested as receiving Headcorn, radio with aircraft antenna just splatting at the same time, none or minimal RX.

Antenna cable inner and screen measured for continuity, now with two pairs of hands we can see the screen to the ground plane is intermittent sometimes, continuity at best.

Remove far end of cable, at termination with ground plane. Clean up and re-attach. Re-measure. Not intermittent.

Problem solved.

Nothing to do with the PAW. Unfortunately, a fault that appeared at the same time as the install, most likely because of disturbance.

Everything put back to intended config as per destructions.

Now working. SkyDemon integration tested.

Final test soon after everything is 100% tidied up and ready to fly. Ferrite beads on USB cable to PAW, and A6 DC power entry.

I have printed out the page with the location of L1 and L2, fault finding LEDs, and also the two pages of trouble shooting help in the manual. Both pages have been laminated and stored with the aircraft.

Suggest anyone with a Quantum do this with the main wiring diagrams too.

Big thanks to JCurtis for help.

JCurtis

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2020, 06:30:29 pm »
Thanks for the update, good news. 

Many, many, similar things end up down to poor grounding/bonding.

You could probably remove the ferrite too, save the weight  ;D
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 06:33:22 pm by JCurtis »
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

Admin

« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2020, 01:02:16 pm »
Nothing to do with the PAW. Unfortunately, a fault that appeared at the same time as the install, most likely because of disturbance.

Surely you mean Fortunately  :P

exfirepro

« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2020, 01:47:04 pm »

I will take a look at the actual model of Anker Powerbank you are using and see if that gives any pointers.

Please keep us posted of developments.

Did you ever get chance to look at this Powerbank and see if there is an issue with this model. I would like to buy a secondary powerbank as I think I left it plugged in after I flew yesterday! Would be good to have a spare anyway!

Hi Merlin,

Many apologies - I thought I had replied to this. If it is the PowerCore 13000 Model: A1215, I have two of them (as well as 3 of the larger PowerCore 20100 version and a couple of the smaller PowerCore 10000 version). They all perform well with PilotAware.

Hope this helps

Best Regards

Peter

steveu

« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2020, 05:13:10 pm »

Surely you mean Fortunately  :P

Ha, ha...

No, faults appearing are always unfortunate.

It's fortunate that the problem was not PAW, but that's a different thread.

Unfortunately, the problem has come back, and the aerial will need more reseating, or IMO, replacing.

The aircraft owner would like to fly with the rubber duck aerial as a short term solution. I say no, replace the existing aerial with the right thing.

However, the fault has returned even with the rubber duck aerial because he uses screens on the dash, and the big Samsung tablet to the right of the centre part where the radio is also interferes with the radio. This was proved by moving the radio, the Samsung tab within 15-20 cm of the radio interferes. With the PAW and the rest of the plane switched off, still the same result.

It would't affect me because I would only fly with PAW audio, and a Garmin 76S on the dash. Yes, I'm a dinosaur. My phone would log on SkyDemon, but would be in the pod bag.

I'm therefore after an aerial similar to the original that would fit a P&M Quantum and would go in the same position on the Nose. I have started a new thread to avoid taking this one off track:

Click here for Flexwing pilots - replacement for nose mounted aerial in P&M Quantum/Quik?