Author Topic: Ipad screen 'scrolling'  (Read 2231 times)

AndyM

Ipad screen 'scrolling'
« on: September 10, 2020, 10:14:50 am »
I have something very unusual going on with Skydemon my Ipad when connected to my PA Rosetta. For some reason the map screen just starts scrolling around the country, occasionally bringing up messages like as if I had held my finger on the screen. I thought it may have been a problem with the internal GPS so tried another Ipad, exactly the same. Connect to Skydemon on my iphone and everything working OK. I use the very expensive Harkwood Charge 2 power supply and have the latest firmware installed. Any ideas?

exfirepro

Re: Ipad screen 'scrolling'
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 11:50:01 am »
Hi Andy,

In over 5 years testing and using PilotAware, I have never come across the type of activity you are reporting, so we are going to need a bit more information to help us work out what is going on here.

Firstly, you say you 'have the latest firmware installed' - but can you please specify which PAW version you are running on your Rosetta, and also which model of iPhone and iPads you are talking about and which firmware / software versions (and SkyDemon version) you are running on each of those devices.

Can you also please advise under what circumstances these events are occurring. Is it for example during testing at home, or in flight - and if in flight, what type of aircraft and what is the setup of the equipment (and other systems) in the aircraft. (OK on the Charge 2, I use a Charge 2 and a Charge 4 myself, so am happy with that part.)

We also need to see a screenshot of your Rosetta Home and Configure Screens please. Any screenshots which indicate this strange activity would also be helpful.

Sorry to ask so many questions, but as I say, this is (or at least sounds like) something completely new to me.

Thanks

Peter
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 11:52:37 am by exfirepro »

mariko

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 12:02:43 pm »
It occoured to me me after my Ipad felt down from a table  :-[
Ciao
  Mariko

AndyM

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 01:54:36 pm »
Its a Rosetta about 15 months old installed on top of the panel in a C42 and only happens when I'm in the aircraft. It's a fairly old Ipad Mini but it normally runs Skydemon without any issues and I always do the SD updates as they become available. I thought it was the Ipad but I tried another unit and had the same problem. I wont be back at the field for another week but I will try and replicate the problem and send some screenshots. After flying for about half an hour I turned the Ipad back on in flight and it worked OK for the rest of the flight?
Thanks for your help so far.

exfirepro

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2020, 02:52:06 pm »
Thanks Andy,

When you say a fairly old iPad Mini, can you say which model (1, 2 or 3?). I have a Mini 2 and a Mini 3, which still run iOS12 and SD with no problems, but the issue might be with newer versions of SD on an old version of iOS. Screenshots will also be helpful. In the meantime, I will give the issue some thought.

Regards

Peter

Admin

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2020, 03:48:47 pm »
By any chance had you gone to the tracks page and started a track replay ?

thx
Lee

exfirepro

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2020, 09:40:47 am »
Hi again Andy,

Lee’s post above reminded me, I have seen something like this - twice! Though I doubt whether either of these explains your experience.

The first time was back in the dim and distant past when we were Development Testing the integration of Flarm data through PilotAware. I plugged a memory stick into my PilotAware to do a software update, but accidentally plugged it into the USB port which was already programmed for FLARM Input. As well as the intended update software, the memory stick contained a load of previous track files, which the unit promptly read as ‘live traffic’ causing the screen to zoom about all over the place, but this only happened because the USB port was configured to expect FLARM traffic data ‘in’. Surely not the situation in your case ? (though partly why I asked about your setup).

On the other occasion I was ‘Flight Testing’ a unit during a long car journey, as extreme weather had precluded flying. Driving along a fairly deep highland glen, the unit temporarily lost GPS fix, though - concentrating on the road - I didn’t immediately notice this. The ‘aircraft’ then suddenly raced forward to its ‘new’ position a few minutes later when GPS was re-established, which of course immediately caught my attention. Again, an unlikely scenario in the air, which these days would in any case be accompanied by specific messages on SkyDemon advising that GPS data had been lost.

Hopefully your reply and screenshots will help clarify what was going on. If not, your track file (which you can download from the unit onto a memory stick or tablet for forwarding later if necessary) should certainly show what was happening.

Regards

Peter

AndyM

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2020, 09:59:02 pm »
Well, I have to admit, it was an iPad issue! I was using the google map app in the car and the same thing started to happen, so nothing to do with the PA!! Sorry to have any of you scratching your heads!

exfirepro

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2020, 10:25:56 pm »
Hi Andy,

Thanks for letting us know. Always happy to scratch our heads though - it helps keep the old brain cells in good working order.

I would be interested in hearing what the actual problem was if you manage to find out, especially if it was caused by one of the recent iOS / iPadOS updates!

Best Regards

Peter

AndyM

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2020, 01:33:05 pm »
The actual problem is know as ipad 'ghost touching' commonly caused when the screen has been replaced with a third party screen, or not fitted correctly. Just a bit of a coincidence that I had two ipads doing the same thing but they had both had new screens fitted recently.

exfirepro

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2020, 01:46:16 pm »
Hi Andy,

Thanks for the update - another one to log in the memory bank!

Best Regards

Peter