Author Topic: ICAO HEX to Aircraft Reg  (Read 13489 times)

stephenmelody

ICAO HEX to Aircraft Reg
« on: October 25, 2015, 06:05:27 pm »
Bryannortje  and I went out to do some testing today. Mixed bag of results, inbound to Turweston I could only see him whilst in the Circuit (his device on the ground). In the air, we had about 4 miles between us, but this is a bit unverified as at one point Bryan seemed to stop moving on mine, and I stopped moving on his - although I was able to see changing speeds and altitudes of his output, it was stuck on the map.

Aside that, we did notice that after a while, instead of showing the ICAO code, we both started showing our registrations on Skydemon. Neither of us were transmitting ADS-B, only Mode S transponders.

Admin

Re: ICAO HEX to Aircraft Reg
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 06:37:06 pm »
Hi Stephen

This is cool isnt it, but purely by accident.

PAW stores a single record of information indexed by the ICAO code.
So there is data received from PAW and your mode S, the mode S supplies the flight id,
PAW supplies positional info.
When PAW looks at the record, if it has a flight id, that is used, else the ICAO is used.

Thx
Lee

bryannortje

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 07:28:22 pm »
Hi all fellow PAWs users.

Yes had a good bit of flying today with Steve. I would point out that while PAW is stationary the hex code is shown and in our cases today they both changed to our Reg numbers once we were moving.

Mixed bag on range and interesting that at some times i was close to Steve in flight and the A/C icon was not red. I suspect that only if we on an actual collision heading it goes red.

During the flight from EGBT to Damyns Hall, Steve asked me to shoot ahead so we could see how far in line of sight he we would see each other. I agree that we saw around 4nm before it appeared he was literally in a hover and he said the same for me.

It is without any doubt in my mind that the mounting position of the current PAWS units is critical and this is compounded with metallic aircraft. I'm fortunate that my Europa is all plastic so others are seeing me long before i see them. ;D Would be nice to do some air to air with another europa to see what sort of range we could get. I will post an image of my PAWS install on a following post

Cheers
Bryan

stephenmelody

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 08:15:00 pm »
Hi Lee, if you keep making accidental features like this, PAW has a great future!!  ;D ;D

Following on from Bryan's report, something went funny part way through the flight when I appeared to overtake his stationary aircraft, even though he was pulling away from me in front. Positioning is very important, I had it on top of the coaming on it's side, might be better if the aerial was vertical rather than horizontal - thoughts?

Whilst Bryan was within visual range behind I could see him and the SD alarm wouldn't stop going off, his trace was consistently red, which is good, but bloody annoying if you're flying in formation!!

here's a link to my GPS track, something went very funny around Goff's Oak, which is where we both became static on each other's display. Not sure who's device stopped working as expected but it was very strange. Both of us appeared to be moving on track as expected on our respective SDs, but both of us had stopped moving on the other device (I hope that makes sense). Clicking on Bryan's aircraft on SD would show track heading and speed / altitude, but just not moving on the map.

It's only when I looked at the log I saw the issue. We flew direct so I don't know why it thought I was overhead Harlow, as we definitely didn't overfly that area. I rebooted my device once we realised there was an issue, and I only picked Bryan back up during my flare, even though I could visually see him in the circuit ahead of me.

https://www.logbook.aero/flight/4306jq789a

Would be good to get up and test again with more PAW users!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 08:21:03 pm by stephenmelody »

bryannortje

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 09:12:20 pm »
Photo of my installation in my Europa.

ianfallon

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 08:40:46 am »
After a bit of detective work recently I noticed our Funkwerk Mode S transponder :

a) Transmits the ADS-B records just with no position info (but inc the flight ID (aka Reg) even with no ADS-B out connection, just ordinary mode S. These are picked up by PAW.

b) Does the above even if in STBY mode (which seems to just standby the squawk code emission.

T67M

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 08:56:47 am »
Having the aerial vertical is essential! Most of the signal goes out in a very flat donut shape with the aerial going through the hole.  You want that donut to be horizontal with the hole facing up/down, so the aerial MUST be vertical to get a decent range. The difference will be 10:1 or more.

stephenmelody

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 09:10:18 am »
I've got the stubby aerial, which means it's difficult to achieve on the coaming, as I can't put the PAW unit completely vertical.

Would something like this work??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RIGHT-ANGLE-SMA-MALE-TO-SMA-FEMALE-ADAPTOR-CONNECTOR-90-DEGREE-GOLD-LOW-STATIC-/191009295666?hash=item2c790a8d32:g:uzkAAMXQlgtStDf5

Admin

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 09:37:54 am »
Hi Stephen, can you post a picture of your antenna ?
Im not sure what you are referring to as the 'stubby' antenna.

The antenna must be tuned for 868mhz which means an 8.2cm antenna length for 1/4 wave monopole

Thx
Lee

stephenmelody

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 09:44:00 am »
https://www.wirelessthings.net/868-915-mhz-small-rubber-duck-antenna

This one.

Because it's got no bend in it, I can't have it vertical.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 09:46:16 am by stephenmelody »

Admin

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 10:21:22 am »
https://www.wirelessthings.net/868-915-mhz-small-rubber-duck-antenna

This one.

Because it's got no bend in it, I can't have it vertical.

Gotcha, OK so as mentioned in an earlier post, having it horizontal is not a good plan.
Sounds like the best plan is the 90degree male/female connector.
I am not sure what kind of aerial this is, but I am guessing because it is so short, it is a coiled spring.
not sure of the performance issues with that type of antenna

Thx
Lee

stephenmelody

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015, 10:35:32 am »
I'm going to set them up one night this week and test the RSSI (or whatever it is called) with the two different aerial types in master/slave mode.

So considering mine was horizontal and Bryan's was vertical and we got 4nm, that's not too bad then!!

Alan Walker

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2015, 11:19:56 am »
Would a short cable run between the PA unit and the aerial cause any serious drop in signal strength do you think?

ianfallon

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2015, 01:42:54 pm »
Or turn the PAW through 90 degrees  ;D ;D

stephenmelody

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2015, 03:11:12 pm »
I still wouldn't be able to get it on the coaming due to the slant of the windscreen. I've ordered 2 right angle adapters, I'll get them set up at home and see if there's any loss in using them.