Author Topic: Release notes for latest version.  (Read 8351 times)

CliveJ

Re: Release notes for latest version.
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2020, 11:00:44 am »
Thanks for the info, that's excellent. I have been trying to figure the blind spots on my installation and will giove 'seeing' the ground station a try to see what the receive is like.

Regards, Clive

exfirepro

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2020, 05:30:28 pm »
Hi Clive,

I fear I have misled you in my earlier post about the colour-changes of the PAW ATOM-GRID Ground Station Masts on SkyDemon, having misunderstood the reason for the colour changes myself. Having been made aware of the actual reason for the changing colours, I have significantly updated my earlier post to correct this error. Sorry for the misinterpretation.

Best Regards

Peter

CliveJ

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2020, 10:14:47 am »
Had a fly around the same ground station and it does indeed change colour. After reading the updated explanation of why I noted what it was doing. What surprised me was I was flying just after a front passed through and was one of the few in the air locally, it was still changing colour though.
I shall continue to observe with interest.
Thanks for update Peter.
Regards, Clive

exfirepro

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2020, 12:49:00 pm »
Hi Clive,

Thanks for the update. Don’t worry about the colour - if it’s yellow or red all that means is that the Ground Station is prioritising and uplinking important data rather than it’s own ‘signature’. As long as the station symbol is being displayed (in whatever colour) you should be receiving any appropriate Flarm & Mode-S/3D (MLAT) positions and Metar data.

Safe Flying

Best Regards

Peter

grahambaker

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2020, 03:59:40 pm »
Genuine question - why is it necessay for the pilot to see a change in colour of a ground station; it's surely irrelevant to us how long it is since it last broadcast its position as it doesn't move!

Is there another reason why its deemed a 'good thing' - if not, it just adds confusion.

exfirepro

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2020, 04:47:49 pm »
Hi Graham,

I don’t think it is necessary at all. Seems to have been based on a misunderstanding of the way the Ground Stations process and uplink data.

Regards

Peter

Merlin29

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2020, 12:17:29 pm »
Not sure if this is a question for Tim over on the SkyDemon forum, but would it be possible to display a "mast" symbol in corner of screen to show when a mast is within range and therefore uplink data is being received. Often the map could be zoomed in that you won't see ground station locations.

exfirepro

« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2020, 07:20:56 pm »
@Merlin,

The masts are pretty visible as they are, (though admittedly not quite as visible in yellow) and I certainly wouldn’t want them hidden in a corner of the display rather than shown in their actual position.

If you set ‘Display Traffic Info’ in PAW / Configure to ‘Alternate’, the aircraft labels for positional Mode-S will alternate between the Aircraft Reg and ‘M’ and ‘Flarm-type’ traffic will alternate between its Reg (or Flarm ID) and ‘G’. This only happens when received via uplink, so confirms that uplink is active.

It took us long enough to get Tim to stop showing the ground stations as aircraft (which triggered audio alerts - especially in the circuit) and show them as Radio Masts, so please let’s just be thankful for what we have managed to achieve and not rock the boat unnecessarily.   ;)

Best Regards

Peter

Admin

« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2020, 09:06:18 pm »
I have an outstanding from Tim I need to respond to on this

The ground stations only uplink their own position when not busy uplinking traffic and metars.
So when busy uplinking traffic, the station position report is de-prioritised
We need to think of a way to tell SkyDemon that the station is still uplinking data
This is a todo for us not SkyDemon

Thx
Lee

riverrock

« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2020, 06:16:31 pm »
Slightly unrelated, the Rosetta docs say the anker power supply is 12V
However I believe its this one which is dual voltage? https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00VH84L5E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_dp_qof8Bb63BAW8Y ?
Could the descriptions be updated to say dual voltage?

exfirepro

« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2020, 07:13:10 pm »
Hi riverock,

You are of course correct - the power requirement of PilotAware is 2.1Amps at a minimum of 5Volts (nominal 5.2 Volts). This can be supplied from a variety of sources and the Anker PowerDrive 2 ‘vehicle’ adaptors are rated at 12/24 volt. We will have a look at the documentation and amend it as necessary. Thanks for pointing this out.

Regards

Peter