Author Topic: Release notes for latest version.  (Read 8603 times)

Admin

Re: Release notes for latest version.
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2020, 03:33:35 pm »
Hi Steve

There is an issue in the app if you hit the upload multiple times, it gets into a locked up state.
The only remedy is a reboot of PAW and a restart of the APP

This problem is fixed in the new release of PAW, so wont occur on the next update.

thx
Lee

steveu

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2020, 03:41:25 pm »
Hi Steve

There is an issue in the app if you hit the upload multiple times, it gets into a locked up state.
The only remedy is a reboot of PAW and a restart of the APP

This problem is fixed in the new release of PAW, so wont occur on the next update.

thx
Lee

I don't know exactly what happened, as I guided my friend to the app and the update over WhatsApp.

However, the 20200825 version is now installed.

I'm not on iOS for any of my devices.

Vic

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2020, 12:03:40 am »
I updated mine the old way ..ethernet cable connected to my router.

It went...

Code: [Select]
Downloading and Resetting - DO NOT POWER OFF

inflating: overlays/rpi-display.dtbo
inflating: overlays/rra-digidac1-wm8741-audio.dtbo
inflating: overlays/pisound.dtbo
inflating: overlays/i2c-rtc.dtbo
inflating: overlays/upstream.dtbo
inflating: overlays/allo-piano-dac-plus-pcm512x-audio.dtbo
inflating: overlays/i2s-gpio28-31.dtbo
inflating: overlays/vc4-fkms-v3d.dtbo
inflating: overlays/gpio-shutdown.dtbo
inflating: overlays/mbed-dac.dtbo
inflating: overlays/goodix.dtbo
inflating: CHANGELOG.txt
inflating: recovery.cmdline
Saving Personal Data
tar: Removing leading `/' from member names

...And then appeared to freeze, but I left it ten minutes, refreshed the browser page to find it had updated OK

mariko

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2020, 07:12:09 am »
Installed old way, using a Windows PC to download full install version, unzip files, format and copy files on the SD card
I had to format/copy/install twice before success, but now the new version is up and running.
METAR function is awesome!
Ciao
  Mariko

neilld

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2020, 04:47:20 pm »
Does the "download update file to a USB stick and plug into PAW" method still work?

Admin

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2020, 05:32:20 pm »
Does the "download update file to a USB stick and plug into PAW" method still work?
Yes it does.
thx
Lee

Winged_Jaguar

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2020, 10:57:38 pm »
Thanks Lee,
I just ran the PAW Upgrade from the upgrade tab and selected the full install. It backed up all the settings; did the upgrade; fully restored the settings and came up flawlessly. Very well done!! Excellent work - it looks really good. I briefly investigated the IoS route but my phone and iPad Mini 2 are sadly IOS 12, not 13 :-(
OGN-R all going well too.
Just need to get flying.
All the best
Chris

Vic

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2020, 07:53:05 am »
First test flight with the new software yesterday, the METARs look great. only problem was, no matter how many times I tried, I couldn't get the Bluetooth to connect (or even see) our comms panel.

Never had this problem before though it always was a clunky slow process. Has something changed?

Misterling

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2020, 09:09:08 pm »
Downloaded the app to my iPhone 8 at the weekend.
Updated my Rosetta to 20200825. The whole process was seamless and PAW is working correctly

Cheers

Martin

cyclone1

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2020, 08:29:45 am »
I’ve updated to the latest release, but I only discovered it was available through word of mouth.

Apart from the new METAR page, I have no idea of the other enhancements and improvements, and can’t find anything on the website.

Where can I see such release notes, please?
I have downloaded the latest update with a flash drive pgp file. The ios paw updater only allows version 13 and above to download. I suggest many ios uses have older iPads that only have version 12.

Admin

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2020, 08:37:48 am »
I have downloaded the latest update with a flash drive pgp file. The ios paw updater only allows version 13 and above to download. I suggest many ios uses have older iPads that only have version 12.
I think the question is whether older IOS releases be supported
I’m afraid the answer is no, Apple will NOT allow new apps to be built for old releases, this is out of our control. It is Apple’s way of making you buy new devices

steveu

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2020, 09:32:58 am »
It is Apple’s way of making you buy new devices

Or, in Keith Lemon speak, "It's Apple's way of tearing you a new one..."

A high quality device lasts much longer that it needs to for the financial viability of the manufacturer. So, planned obsolescence is always part of the plan. Apple has recently settled a class action over this, for slowing down older phones on a newer iOS.

Unlike Android and the hardware which is fairly open and has alternative ROMs to load on older devices, the walled garden is actually a prison.

OK, Richard Stallman rant ends now...

iOS devices are good and top quality whilst they are allowed to work. Enjoy them for what they are.

Later.

Mig29fuk

• G-MYUP. White Ox Mead Airstrip. Near Bath
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2020, 10:52:28 am »
The plaintive cry of protest that a new OS software level cuts off newer Apps is the history of Computer technology.
Both 'camps' are as responsible as each other and its been that way since 1980 when early 8086 Processors were called PC's.
Apple in 1984 was proprietary too until it 'massaged' BSD Unix in the 90's. Its still very closed unless you obey their rules.
The Customer drives it on. Faster, better quality WiFi, 30 Megapixel Camera, VR it goes.
If you dont get drawn by it many legacy devices still work well.
I have a MacBook Pro from 2006 on Snow Leopard 10.6.8 Software and it has quite a lot of functionality of my modern iMac running 'Catalina' OS
The Android devices I have are Tablets running from: Android 4.4: Jelly Bean to Android 8.1: Android Oreo
Very few Android platforms allow upgrade of OS and especially if they are Chinese design in my experience.
The Industry has us tied up like a kipper! Its only saving grace is that prices in general are lower in respect to the prices we paid in 1980's.

Assessing the added value of a software upgrade that leaves you behind and staying where you are is all thats available.
Developers can only work within the SDK's provided.

Thats the end of my Sunday Sermon.....delivered virtually from my iMac Pulpit.
Bless You!
G-MYUP
White Ox Mead Airstrip
Bath. England

CliveJ

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2020, 11:29:56 pm »
Quick question: Flew today with the new version, what's the red tower looking thing on the SkyD screen?

Good work by all, many thanks, especially like the updater app.

Regards, Clive

exfirepro

Re: Display of Ground Station Masts on SkyDemon
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2020, 10:24:40 am »
Hi Clive,

That's a PAW ATOM-GRID Ground Station (PWGROVEFM). After several years of trying, we have finally persuaded SkyDemon to show the Ground Stations as Masts instead of aircraft! They only show with the latest PAW and SD software versions, and for anyone else reading this, you also need to enable 'Display Ground Stations' on the PAW Configure Screen.

Next bit edited to correct a mistake in my understanding, sorry for any confusion this may have caused:-[

On Sky Demon the Ground Station Masts periodically change colour between Green, Yellow and Red. I had presumed it reported signal level, but it turns out that was incorrect (it does happen occasionally - I’m only human.) Thankfully Lee has now advised me that the colour change DOES NOT indicate signal strength, but - apparently - reflects the time since SkyDemon last received a position report from that particular Ground Station. This is however complicated by the fact that ATOM Ground Stations are designed to optimise uplink of traffic over transmission of their own position, - so when traffic density is high and the uplink is busy, the station automatically reduces the frequency of its position reports, so the mast will change colour to Yellow or Red - even though there is no degradation in signal.

The important thing is that if you can see a Ground Station Mast on screen (of whatever colour), you will be able to receive uplinked Flarm traffic positions, Mode-S MLAT positions instead of bearingless warning rings (subject to there being sufficient PAW or 360Radar ground station coverage to achieve multilateration and Mode-S/3D being enabled on the PAW Configure Screen) and Metars (providing you are near the station long enough for the Metars to upload).

Hope this is now much clearer.

Best Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 05:22:17 pm by exfirepro »