Author Topic: iOS14 / SkyDemon connection issues  (Read 14526 times)

jrb

Re: Hanging error message “Connecting to Device” - revisited
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2020, 08:42:33 pm »
ps  I tried the "flarm" and "Private Address" suggestions to no effect.  jrb

jrb

« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2020, 10:18:59 am »
The promised feedback.
Rosetta updated to 20200906, "Device Connection Settings" set to "Pilot Aware UDP", password protection applied.
Flew yesterday and had absolutely no problems connecting to PAW either outbound or return legs.Not sure which change fixed it but seems sorted!
iPad mini 4  ios 13.7, running Sky Demon 3.14.3.258 & PAW 20200906

However as in previous post iPhone will not connect Sky Demon to PAW!
iPhone 8 ios 14, running Sky Demon 3.14.3.258 & PAW 20200906.

Admin

« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2020, 11:01:46 am »
Hi Jrb

Have you logged this on the SkyDemon forum ?
http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic32191.aspx#32201

Thx
Lee

jrb

« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2020, 04:31:20 pm »
Thanks Lee.  Yes I've been following the Sky Demon forum you suggest.  Didn't seem to fix it for me.  I will get the Rosetta out of the plane and try again as it seems fixed for others.

Gary Nelson

« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2020, 12:11:23 am »
Exactly like jrb reported above, my iPhone is still stubbornly refusing to run SD with PilotAware since my iPhone upgraded to IOS 14.0, even with the SD iPhone upgrade to 3.14.3.258.

My iPad (still on old IOS13.7) continues to work fine.

Gary

iPad mini 5 IOS13.7
iPhone 11 IOS14.0
PAW classic Version 20200909
SD on iPad Version 3.14.2.254
SD on iPhone Version 3.14.3.258

« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 12:30:21 am by Gary Nelson »

Admin

« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2020, 08:26:04 am »
To update here
I have
iPhone SE upgraded to IOS 14.0,
SD iPhone upgrade to 3.14.3.258.

Connecting correctly

I suggest adding to the SkyDemon thread listed earlier
There is clearly still some issue here

exfirepro

« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2020, 12:28:56 pm »
Hi Gary / All,

As reported previously, I did have a connectivity problem with my iPad mini 5 on Saturday evening.

After updating my pad to iPadOS14, I tried it with my spare Rosetta - newly updated to PAW 20200906 - and with the latest SD Beta 3.14.3.258, which I had received from SkyDemon via Apple TestFlight last Wednesday.

The iPad connected to the PAW WiFi straight away and all the PAW Screens (including PAW Radar and METARs) were available via 192.168.1.1. I then checked the SD Third Part Device Settings - Set to PilotAware only. Clicked on ‘Go Flying - Use PilotAware’ and SD just hung on ‘Connecting to Device’.

After leaving it for quite a while, I ‘Stopped Navigation’ and went back to check my PAW ‘Device Connect’ setting - which was set to ‘All’.

Back to SD Third Party Devices again and added ‘FLARM with Air Connect’ (without removing the PilotAware option). This brought up the Air Connect Key ‘1234’, which traditionally always had to be ‘reset’ to ‘6000’ for PAW, but I decided to leave it at ‘1234’ to ‘see what happens’. I then selected ‘Go Flying - Use FLARM with Air Connect’ - SD immediately showed a new Banner (at least new to me) - ‘Authenticating’ then ‘Seeking GPS Satellites’ then went to its normal display screen with my Ownship, local Ground Station (now shown as a mast) and local ADSB Traffic displayed.

On Sunday morning, I decided to retry using the PAW setting only, which surprisingly now worked as normal. I then re-added the Third Party Device Options for ‘FLARM with Air Connect’, ‘uAvionix SkyEcho2’ (which I don’t have) and ‘GDL90 Compatible Device’ and found that all of these also  connected to PilotAware and displayed traffic.

I have since had a direct e-mail exchange with Tim Dawson (under my ‘SD Testflight’ hat), which confirmed that SD Beta 3.14.3.258 - which I had been using up to Saturday Night, was subsequently released as the new 3.14.3 Public Release (with the same version number), though in light of my experience outlined above, I find it difficult to believe that nothing has changed between my receiving the Beta last Wednesday and the final Public Release over the weekend - especially as the ‘fix’ to deal with iOS 14’s new ‘local network permissions’ was reportedly incorporated in the previous SD Beta 3.14.3.257 issued on 8th September. If that was so, why did I still experience the connectivity issue on Saturday Evening running the final beta for the upcoming 3.14.3.258 Public Release?

For the avoidance of doubt, I have tried it again today, with only the PilotAware option set in SD Third Party Devices and SD connected straight away as intended.

There is, however, obviously still something weird going on, as most of you were previously reporting that SD 3.14.2 was connecting fine to iPhones on iOS 13.7 even when your iPads weren’t - and now, since the update to iOS 14 / iPadOS 14, the opposite seems to be the case!

Hopefully SD will get to the bottom of it soon, but I suggest keep reporting specific occurrences to them on the SD Forum. There is a specific ‘iOS 14’ thread in forums.skydemon.aero/Topic32191-2.aspx

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 05:45:28 pm by exfirepro »

exfirepro

« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2020, 09:34:31 am »
Morning All,

Interestingly, SkyDemon has just issued a new Beta 3.14.4.259 for testing via the Apple Testflight Network.

What to test.

Some iOS 14 reliability improvements are being tested, particularly for the SkyEcho device.

I have just loaded it on this iPad Mini 5 with iPadOS 14 and running with a standard Rosetta loaded with PAW 20200906.

Pad connects to PAW, all screens including Radar and Metars working as expected. Device Connect Settings on Rosetta set to ‘All’.

SD Third Party set to PilotAware (Only). ‘Go Flying - Use PilotAware’ displayed ‘Connecting to Device’ banner for a brief fraction of a second then went straight to SD display, with Ownship, Ground Station and Traffic.

Can’t test it on an iPhone as I don’t have one, but hopefully one of the other Beta Testers will be able to do so shortly. If I see any reports I will report back here. Fingers firmly crossed.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 01:12:32 pm by exfirepro »

grahambaker

« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2020, 11:05:04 am »
3.14.4.260 has just been made available, seemingly to further help UDP connectivity issues.

exfirepro

« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2020, 01:20:20 pm »
Thanks Graham,

I received 3.14.4.260 (Beta) a couple of hours ago. I have downloaded and tested it on my iPad Mini 5 with iPadOS 14.0 and PAW 20200906. No connectivity (or other) issues noted using PAW UDP, Flarm or GDL90 settings, so looking hopeful. Can’t test on iPhone though as I don’t have one.

Test Result reported back to Tim D.

Best Regards

Peter

Captain Fourbars

« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2020, 06:36:52 pm »
I just did the update via my iPad mini and guess what... SD hangs on Connecting to Device, just like all these long running reports in this thread. So now I have no working PAW, I wish I hadn’t done the update. Given the apparent extent of this problem, I hope somebody identifies the cause as a matter of urgency.

grahambaker

« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2020, 07:58:31 pm »
Try connecting via the Flarm protocol, and if that works, retry by connecting via PilotAware. Anecdotally, that makes it work for at least that session.

As noted above, Tim has issued a SkyDemon beta which appears to resolve the problem (or actually works around it until Apple fix iOS/iPadOS) which should go out on public release in a couple of days.

Captain Fourbars

« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2020, 10:53:48 am »
I don't have Flarm so cannot actually use that workaround but I am delighted to see you say that its an Apple matter that will be resolved in a couple of days. Thanks. The PAW software is SO astonishingly impressive that what I don't understand is why this problem, clearly affecting so many, exists at all since this is not a Beta update and as such, one imagines was vigorously tested and found to work.

steveu

« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2020, 11:04:47 am »
I don't have Flarm so cannot actually use that workaround but I am delighted to see you say that its an Apple matter that will be resolved in a couple of days. Thanks. The PAW software is SO astonishingly impressive that what I don't understand is why this problem, clearly affecting so many, exists at all since this is not a Beta update and as such, one imagines was vigorously tested and found to work.

You don't need to have FLARM.

What is being suggested is that the FLARM protocol is used to send information from your PAW to the device running SD.

In order for this to work you would need to select this in both your PAW and Skydemon on the receiving device.

Please see destructions for both ends...

grahambaker

« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2020, 05:52:47 pm »
It's nothing to do with SD code, but all to do with Apple changing things in iOS14 to 'improve security' and cocking it up.