Author Topic: iOS14 / SkyDemon connection issues  (Read 14521 times)

Gary Nelson

Re: Hanging error message “Connecting to Device” - revisited
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2020, 12:19:27 am »
Both my devices are on 13.6.1.

exfirepro

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2020, 06:48:46 am »
Thanks Gary,

I will obviously have to allow the update to 13.7 at some point, but suspect it doesn’t contain the ‘fix’ we need, so am holding off meantime.

p.s. for anyone else experiencing the same issue as Gary - please feel free to try adding a password to the PAW WiFi (in Network) and let us know if this helps in your case, but remember to use a password you won’t forget, as if you do you won’t be able to get back into your PAW. If this happens, the only way to ‘reset’ is by a full software reinstall on a new or freshly reformatted microSD card, so keep the password short, simple and memorable - on this occasion, security level is less important than memorability.

Regards

Peter

exfirepro

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2020, 09:47:11 am »
Hi Graham,

Most of my ‘gang’ up here have changed the default SSID to our aircraft Reg, which helps, but in my case, my pad has been connected to so many other PAWs while configuring/updating/checking other users units, that I always check for the right connection after startup.

The worry with using a password is as reported above. I know a few who will forget it with the resulting need to do a complete re-install before they can use their PAW again.

If ‘security’ is the problem with iPadOS 13.6.1 (or later), we probably need to look to a more technical solution.

Regards

Peter

jrb

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2020, 10:55:56 am »
Thanks to PaulSS and Gary for responding to my post.  I do check the iPad is connected to PAW when I have the connection issue, so that is not the problem.
I am intrigued that a password may be the answer.  Unfortunately, as I said, our plane is in Germany for a week or so at present so I am not able to check out that theory.  When it returns I will upgrade the Rosetta software and install a password and see what happens............ I will report back.

david.lawer

« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2020, 11:45:22 am »
Hi all, whenever I get this error - usually I have to go into ipad settings and turn off wifi- then turn on and that usually fixes it.

exfirepro

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2020, 01:01:51 pm »
Hi David,

How often are you experiencing this issue? and also...  Which version of PAW and which iPad model / iOS (iPadOS) software version are you running on your iPad?

We are now pretty sure this is iPad specific (at least as far as 'Apple' Devices are concerned) and need to improve our understanding of what exactly is causing the connection failures.

Regards

Peter

Gary Nelson

« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2020, 02:50:56 pm »
The saga continues but now iPhone!

My iPhone 11 just upgraded its operating system. Since this upgrade last week my iPhone refuses to connect PAW to SD and I just get the hanging message “Connecting to Device”. I then upgraded PAW a few days ago to the new upgrade but my iPhone still won’t connect - any thoughts!

PS my iPad is currently running PAW with SD perfectly!

Gary

iPad mini 5         IOS13.7
IPhone 11           IOS14.0
PAW classic      Version 20200909
SD on iPad         Version 3.14.2.254
SD on iPhone      Version 3.14.3.258
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 10:14:14 pm by Gary Nelson »

grahambaker

« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2020, 05:44:29 pm »
Rule 1 of any technology: control the updates yourself, don’t let them happen automatically, particularly when it’s a completely new version!

JCurtis

« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2020, 05:58:23 pm »
The saga continues but now iPhone!

My iPhone 11 just upgraded its operating system. Since this upgrade last week my iPhone refuses to connect PAW to SD and I just get the hanging message “Connecting to Device”. I then upgraded PAW a few days ago to the new upgrade but my iPhone still won’t connect - any thoughts!

PS my iPad is currently running PAW with SD perfectly!

You can try forgetting the PAW WiFi network on the iPhone and then re-join it.
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

Admin

« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2020, 08:07:41 pm »
This has also been reported on the SkyDemon forum
Its an issue with SkyDemon/ios14
It also seems to be linked to UDP data - used by the settings Pilotaware and gdl90
If you tell SD to connect (To Pilotaware) using flarm (TCP) it connects

I think Tim is aware of this issue
Thx
Lee

JCurtis

« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2020, 09:15:51 pm »
This has also been reported on the SkyDemon forum
Its an issue with SkyDemon/ios14
It also seems to be linked to UDP data - used by the settings Pilotaware and gdl90
If you tell SD to connect (To Pilotaware) using flarm (TCP) it connects

I think Tim is aware of this issue
Thx
Lee
SkyDemon update has come out today, with a fix for some iOS 14 issues.
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

AllanBirt

« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2020, 09:08:07 am »
I’ve also been having these issue recently, I believe it’s an IOS issue. I have noticed within IOS 14 the WiFi settings have changed. There is an option to change your MAC address to each WiFi device you connect to, so you cannot be traced. I have turned this off on trusted WiFi points. I have attached some screenshots with the connection to my home WiFi. I’ll be flying later today and will be doing the same for my PilotAware, so I am hoping this will fix this problem, if not I’m sure there will be a fix soon. Still running last year version of the PilotAware OS (latest release) on a Rosetta.

Sorry unable to attach images, if you go to the settings on your iOS and click on WiFi, then click on the (i) next to your PilotAware connection and turn off Private Address, this might help with this connection issue. I have yet to try as only found this out myself on Saturday.

Happy flying all  :) :)

exfirepro

« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2020, 10:13:58 am »
SkyDemon update has come out today, with a fix for some iOS 14 issues.

Hi Jeremy,

I can’t see any new SD update - can you point me to where you found it please.

I am currently running SDBeta 3.14.3.258 which was released last Wednesday, but I still had difficulty connecting using UDP when I tried on Saturday evening.

Edit: Tim D has just posted on the SD Forum a few minutes ago that SD Version 3.14.3.258 was released yesterday. It probably doesn’t show as my pad is already running that version as a Beta - though worryingly, that was what I was running when I experienced the connectivity problem on Saturday evening!

Further testing since shows that (as Lee has reported) using the ‘Flarm’ TCP option certainly works, but mysteriously seems to have also restored my ability to reconnect using UDP and GDL90.

I have also just tried Alan’s ‘Switch Off Private Address’ option, which also seems to work, but I don’t know whether that is because I had already gone through the ‘Use Flarm’ loop first. I will await further feedback and developments.

Best Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 10:42:16 am by exfirepro »

PaulSS

« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2020, 05:36:04 pm »
I will check on my version of SD but I flew today, hadn’t changed any settings and everything worked as it usually does/did. My iPad Mini has the 14 update and my Pilot Aware is on the latest version but I didn’t need to change to the Flarm setting and yet it still worked normally.

Edited to add: My SD is version 3.14.3.258 but that update was performed after the flight. In other words, I had the previous SD version, the iPad Mini on 14 and the latest PAW and all was well.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 08:01:10 am by PaulSS »

jrb

« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2020, 08:39:53 pm »
Similar problems here.
iPad mini 4 running ios 13.7 and Sky Demon 3.14.3.258 connects to Pilot Aware no problem.

iPhone 8 running ios 14 and Sky Demon 3.14.3.258 will not connect to Pilot Aware. Just "hangs".
iPhone will connect to Pilot Aware (192.168.1.1) so appears to be a Sky Demon/ios 14 issue rather than iPhone issue.  Sky Demon works fine on "location services".

Hope that makes sense!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 08:43:28 pm by jrb »