Author Topic: iOS14 / SkyDemon connection issues  (Read 14520 times)

Gary Nelson

Re: Hanging error message “Connecting to Device” - revisited
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2020, 09:49:36 am »
Hi Peter

1.   I have just now emailed Lee the Track and also 2 snapshots of (1) my iPhone and (2) my iPad, during this same flight showing iPhone running SD with PAW fine and at same time iPad showing "Connecting to Device"

2.   I attach 3 photos showing the PAW installation with the 40 bolt panel removed and I have added some comments on this to help.

Rgds

Gary
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 09:51:50 am by Gary Nelson »

exfirepro

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2020, 10:29:19 am »
Thanks Gary,

I have also e-mailed Ash and will copy that e-mail to Lee.

The photos reinforce my thoughts that we need to look at the WiFi setup/ position.

Edit: We have in the past had connectivity issues with some (Android) tablets where the problem was that the WiFi signal was too strong. Bearing in mind the proximity between your iPad and PAW that could be the issue here.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 10:33:58 am by exfirepro »

Gary Nelson

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2020, 01:45:50 pm »
Hi Peter

I did wonder if it could be a proximity issue as it is literally on the rear of my console from where the iPad sits whereby my iphone (which is more solid in running SD/PAW) would be about 30cm away. See PAW page attached showing i have currently set on 50mv - is that what you mean?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 01:47:56 pm by Gary Nelson »

exfirepro

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2020, 02:31:44 pm »
Hi Gary,

Yes, that’s the one. Try increasing (or decreasing) in stages by say 10 at a time and check the effect after each change before going further. Remember, each time you ‘Apply’ the new setting, you need to wait for the unit to reboot.

Peter

Gary Nelson

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2020, 04:37:43 pm »
Peter

Presumably as the iPad and PAW are on opposite sides of same part of my instrument console I should start with decreasing rather than increasing ?

Rgds

Gary

exfirepro

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2020, 07:41:19 pm »
Hi Gary,

That sounds logical. Try a couple of steps and see how you get on. IIRC with the Android issue some users had the WiFi power down as low as 10mW, but you just need to experiment to see what happens with your specific circumstances.

Regards

Peter

Admin

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2020, 08:35:22 am »
Hi Gary
Can we confirm it is a connection issue first

1. Can you get a hotspot connection ?
2. Can you access the paw webpages?

Thx
Lee

Gary Nelson

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2020, 10:48:31 am »
Hi Lee

Yes is the answer to both questions. When I get the "Connecting to Device" hanging message I invariably check my Ipad settings to see if the iPad is still showing PAW as the wifi connection (it invariably is) and then use an iPad short cut link I created on my iPad to get onto the PAW webpage and I always can, no problems.

The above "proof of connection" is not a surprise to me in light of the fact my iPhone 11 is far less flakey at getting PAW to work with SD and although it may occasionally still get me the the "Connecting to Device" message, that is far less likely. See screen shots I previously posted (and emailed you when I sent the Track) of iPhone and iPad within a few seconds of each other showing only iPhone running SD/PAW and iPad showing "Connecting to Device"

rgds

Gary
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 12:00:47 pm by Gary Nelson »

Admin

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2020, 11:25:39 am »
Hi Gary
Thats good news, I am confident this issue is fixed in the next release
I will give you instructions within the week

Thx
Lee

Gary Nelson

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2020, 11:58:04 am »
  :D  that is good news - are you able to elaborate a little as to what was the issue?

jrb

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2020, 01:49:29 pm »
May I add a few comments as I suffer the same issue. I fly a Robin DR400 using Sky Demon running on an iPad 4 using IOS 13.6.1 and Pilot Aware Rosetta running last year's (2019) software upgrade.
ALWAYS on the outbound leg of a trip the iPad connects seamlessly to Rosetta.  ALWAYS on the return leg it refuses to connect and I am left with the hanging message as in this thread.
The only answer is to use Location Services and fly back without the benefit of Rosetta.
Interestingly on a recent trip away where the plane was parked for two consecutive nights away the same thing happened on our return, although it was the first flight of the day!! The only thing was we were away from base.....Explain that!!
On all legs the location of Rosetta and the iPad are identical and are in line of sight to each other about one metre apart. A stable power supply is feeding the Rosetta.
The only thing I haven't tried is to connect to Rosetta with Sky Demon on my iPhone 8.  I will try this in the future.
I have tried most things suggested in this forum including firing up Rosetta first, waiting, then starting up Sky Demon.  Nothing I have tried works.
I have just upgraded IOS to 13.7 on the iPad and downloaded the latest software from PAW.  When the plane returns from Germany I will try with this new software and see what happens.
Any comments from Pilot Aware developers would be welcome.  It is potentially a great bit of kit being spoiled, at present, by this problem.

jrb

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2020, 03:20:39 pm »
To correct a minor error in my previous post.  I use an iPad MINI 4.  jrb

PaulSS

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2020, 09:22:33 pm »
One possibility (perhaps, maybe) is that your Rosetta is picking up a Wifi signal from somewhere else when you visit and, therefore, your PAW is not actually connected to your iPad any more. On the way out, because there are no aberrant Wifi signals for it to connect to, it behaves itself but at the turnaround airfield etc it may connect to something else.

I only say this because the other day my iPad was locking onto a local Wifi and, therefore, my PAW wasn't connecting to my iPad and SkyDemon. I realised what was happening and just went into Settings and Wifi and 'clicked' on my PAW Wifi and all was well for ever after.

Of course, I may well be talking coomplete and utter bolleaux and it might be far more complex than that but it is a really easy thing to check. Just make sure your Wifi is connected to your PAW before telling SD to navigate.

Gary Nelson

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2020, 10:31:58 pm »
Hi Jrb

Yes, exactly the issue a number of us have! Re PaulSS post just before, it is not that, as that is something I check every time the issue arises!

Ashley from PAW phoned me a few days ago about this issue. He mentioned the iPad OS has some differences to the iPhone OS and so could be a possibility why the iPhone gives a more consistent connection.

We agreed I would add a password to PAW as that may help iPad “see” PAW as a “Trusted Device” and therefore improve connectivity. I did two flights today with a PAW password (45 minute flight to Kent in morning and back in afternoon). Worked perfectly both ways.  Fingers crossed but if it gets flakey again I will report here.

It would be interesting to know if others with the issue try a PAW password and what happened
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 12:16:41 am by Gary Nelson »

exfirepro

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2020, 10:42:55 pm »
Hi Gary,

Thanks for the feedback on the password test. Glad to hear that it appears to have helped.

Are you still running 13.6.1? I noticed a couple of days ago that my iPad Mini 5 is trying to update to iPadOS 13.7 but I have postponed the update until we are sure we have got to the bottom of your (and the others’ ) connectivity issues with 13.6.1.

I will continue to liaise with Ash and Lee, but please keep us posted on here if you experience any further issues either negative or positive.

Best Regards

Peter