Author Topic: Pilot magazine September 2020  (Read 1928 times)

neilld

Pilot magazine September 2020
« on: August 19, 2020, 12:01:55 pm »
Interesting article in the above mag promoting the "benefits" of ADS-B and EC without a single mention of Pilot Aware. 
Time for a riposte I think.

DFN

Cottie

Re: Pilot magazine September 2020
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2020, 05:02:58 pm »
The assertion in the first part of the article that ADSB is mandatory across the entirety of the USA in all aircraft is inaccurate.

ADS-B Out equipment is required to operate in the airspace defined in 14 CFR 91.225 [https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/programs/adsb/faq/#g10]. If you never fly into ADS-B-designated airspace, then there is no requirement to equip.

Basically around class A/B/C controlled airspace and class E above 10,000ft, although this is a bit of over simplification. You don't even need ADSB to fly IFR in the US as long as its outside the above rules airspace.
Iain
PWLymm

neilmurg

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2020, 11:41:00 pm »
That's a US focussed mag? That's OK.
I think PAw is sufficiently well known, what needs to be in the public domain is an accurate understanding of the cost/benefit. And the timescales for universal ADSB out, that TISB and FISB aren't in Europe, that you need a universal translator for information IN, and there is no other solution that gives you more (or anything close) on traffic information on current emitters.

neilld

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 10:55:28 am »
That's a US focussed mag? That's OK.

It's a UK mag.

steveu

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2020, 09:56:21 pm »
Time for a riposte I think.

Or alternatively, stop buying it or don't renew when it's subscription time...