Author Topic: Newcomer to Pilotaware who is just a bit too dense to understand the basics 😊  (Read 27303 times)

Ian Melville

Newcomer to Pilotaware who is just a bit too dense to understand the basics
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2015, 12:04:41 pm »
# OK this now raises the question of " How many PAW users are there in Scotland?  " Is that information known to The Admin Team?    I am guessing that I'm going to find out I am an orphan up here 😂  #

You could always check the map, the Admin team will quite possibly be the last to know. You seem to be forgetting that this system is still under development. I suspect there are a lot of wanabe users waiting in the wings (ged it:-)) for the final design. I hope that pilots realise what a bargain this unit is as a life saver, and don't wait till there is 90% coverage of the UK fleet with PAW.

Like your description of the Transponder antenna :-)

Paul_Sengupta

We are the early adopters, both for PAW and for ADS-B out from transponders. Hopefully it'll come in time!

Having a cheap way of displaying ADS-B contacts will encourage people to take up the fitting of ADS-B out. Also as the popularity of the PAW grows, hopefully it'll become a standard, like Flarm is in the gliding community.

Robski

...the internal disco lights flicker away relentlessly...
My PAW's Pi flickers its lights while booting up and then they go out and stay out...
 ???
Just wondering if all is well with the unit in question.
Rob
If the good Lord had intended man to fly He would have given him more money.

Admin

My PAW's Pi flickers its lights while booting up and then they go out and stay out...
 ???

Which lights ?

The Red should always be on, this indicates a good power supply
the Green should flicker during boot, then remain off, occasionally you may see single flickers, but the majority of the time it should stay off
Thx
Lee

FERRYAIR

Today I sussed out that I can get screenshots whilst on the PAW wifi  ( I was trying the 192. Web page on normal wifi when I tried to get screenshots )

Here are the screenprints from today, excuse the repetitive shots but they might show something up that explains why I keep needing to reboot?

FERRYAIR

This was another screenshot at same time ( give or take a few minute )

Admin

Hi ferryair

If I understand correctly, your concern is SkyDemon reporting it is going offline ?
My understanding is that this happens when SkyDemon cannot contact its servers.
So can I confirm your iPad is 3g, you have a cellular contract with a service provider and a SIM installed in the iPad ?

If not, then when connected to PAW there is no route to the SkyDemon servers.

Could this be what you are seeing ?
If so its simply because you are disconnected from the internet, ie offline.

Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 09:23:59 pm by Admin »

Robski

???

Which lights ?

The Red should always be on, this indicates a good power supply
the Green should flicker during boot, then remain off, occasionally you may see single flickers, but the majority of the time it should stay off
Thx
Lee
Once booted and running I get an occasional green flicker and no red at all.
All appears to be running fine.
Rob
If the good Lord had intended man to fly He would have given him more money.

Admin

Hi Rob

If you get no red at all that would indicate a power issue.
Can i ask, what are you using for your power supply, and what about your usb cable, really requies 20 awg for the power.

Thx
Lee

FERRYAIR

My concern is not so much that Skydemon is going offline, my concern is that I get a screen full of conflicts one second and then they can just disappear from view, they only seem to reappear if I reboot the entire system.

My Samsung Tab3 is not connected to the internet when using PAW  ( other than on the Pilotaware wifi ), there isn't a cellular contract connected to my Tab3 nor does it have a Sim Card fitted....... Are we now getting a bit closer to why my system is playing up.

Not sure if this is relevant but if I get close to a Wifi hotspot or my own wifi set up, the PAW wifi goes tits up & my Tab3 auto connects to the Wifi hotspot etc.
I have even had the Tab3 auto connect to my passenger's wifi on his mobile phone whilst it was set to PAW.

Now onto Flickering lights : I have a Red light which flickers away like a backstreet of Amsterdam & a couple of blue lights that flicker away like the Police lights of the cop cars going to  shut down the Red lights of Amsterdam.
Silly analogy I know, but I don't think I have any green lights flickering in my box.

I am technically inept when it comes to Electronics, If it doesn't switch on and instantly work I have a  Brain freeze and then my workload goes awry.

Perhaps if you are going to be at the Flying Show I can ask you to explain the system to me in better detail ,  at the moment I am not convinced that I have got the benefit of the unit ( which is quite disconcerting bearing in mind that my airstrip is under the Edinburgh Airport airspace )
I may well be flying down to Shifnal for the Show, if I do I will see how many conflicts I see enroute as there seem to be a shedload of users between here and Telford.

Hi ferryair

If I understand correctly, your concern is SkyDemon reporting it is going offline ?
My understanding is that this happens when SkyDemon cannot contact its servers.
So can I confirm your iPad is 3g, you have a cellular contract with a service provider and a SIM installed in the iPad ?

If not, then when connected to PAW there is no route to the SkyDemon servers.

Could this be what you are seeing ?
If so its simply because you are disconnected from the internet, ie offline.

Thx
Lee

exfirepro

Re: Newcomer to Pilotaware
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2015, 12:03:33 am »
Hi Peter,

Don't be too hard on yourself. I have spent the last 5 months trying to achieve ADS-B in via PowerFlarm Core fitted to my GT450 flexwing - flying out of East Fortune. I have a Trig TT21 with ADS-B out via a piggybacked Byonics GPS module, which works GREAT!!!, but have had horrendous problems trying to get the PowerFlarm to give reliable contacts and so far can't get it to speak to Sky Demon (via Air(Butterfly) Connect WiFi) at all!!! Seriously considering sending the whole £1300 worth back to the supplier and going down the Pilot Aware route instead - or waiting for NATS / Trig to come up with a viable ADS-B in solution at under the £1300 already invested (some chance). So don't lose heart... and if you want to do some ADSB tests please feel free to PM me. I'm always looking for an excuse to test my installation over Edinburgh on the incoming jets!!!!

Best regards

Peter (at Balerno)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 12:05:28 am by exfirepro »

Admin

Hi Ferryair

My concern is not so much that Skydemon is going offline, my concern is that I get a screen full of conflicts one second and then they can just disappear from view, they only seem to reappear if I reboot the entire system.
OK, so there are 2 issues.
1. Skydemon goes offline
I presume you understood my explaination regarding a connection to the internet required for this feature ?

2. Lots of contacts, followed instantaneously by much less.
This is a bug in the version you are using, discovered recently, this was the note in the CHANGELOG.txt
Fixed time comparison for Aircraft stale data
What happened was that whilst PAW was not connected to a navigation source, it continued storing aircraft as they were captured, then when a navigation device connected, it bursts all that 'stale' data in one go, then removes it from its database, as I say this was a bug, and this issue was fixed in release 20151107

My Samsung Tab3 is not connected to the internet when using PAW  ( other than on the Pilotaware wifi ), there isn't a cellular contract connected to my Tab3 nor does it have a Sim Card fitted....... Are we now getting a bit closer to why my system is playing up.
Clarification, PAW does not have an internet connection, so if your only connection from the Tab3 is to PAW, then you are not connected to the internet - there is no other than on the Pilotaware wifi
I am still not absolutely sure what you mean by 'playing up', that is why I am asking the probing questions, firstly you have confirmed the 'skydemon offline' is not an issue, lets address the other concerns.

Not sure if this is relevant but if I get close to a Wifi hotspot or my own wifi set up, the PAW wifi goes tits up & my Tab3 auto connects to the Wifi hotspot etc.
I have even had the Tab3 auto connect to my passenger's wifi on his mobile phone whilst it was set to PAW.
This will be down to the setup of your Tab3. I presume it is setup to connect to the 'strongest WiFi signal', hence when you go near to your other 'known wifi' it uses those connections. You would have to check with Android/Tab3 how it is configured to stick with a specific connection - I am sure there is a way to do that, outside of my remit I'm afraid, On iOS, you can tell the iPad to 'forget networks', which means they will not reconnect until explicitly told to do so.
This is not usually an issue in your plane, unless you are running multple WiFi's  ???

Now onto Flickering lights : I have a Red light which flickers away like a backstreet of Amsterdam & a couple of blue lights that flicker away like the Police lights of the cop cars going to  shut down the Red lights of Amsterdam.
Silly analogy I know, but I don't think I have any green lights flickering in my box.
There are multiple lights in PilotAware, as you look at the faceplate, bottom left are a green and red, green indicates disk activity, this should only be active during boot, and occasionally the odd flicker whilst running. The red indicates good power, if this goes off, there is a power problem (what is your power source ?).
The other lights (if you have a transceiver in-built) are associated with send / receive data, and a 1 second heartbeat, I think this is also red, so if you are seeing a 1 second flash of a red LED, it is most likely the heartbeat

I am technically inept when it comes to Electronics, If it doesn't switch on and instantly work I have a  Brain freeze and then my workload goes awry.
Don't worry

Perhaps if you are going to be at the Flying Show I can ask you to explain the system to me in better detail ,  at the moment I am not convinced that I have got the benefit of the unit ( which is quite disconcerting bearing in mind that my airstrip is under the Edinburgh Airport airspace )
I may well be flying down to Shifnal for the Show, if I do I will see how many conflicts I see enroute as there seem to be a shedload of users between here and Telford.
We are at the flying show, feel free to come and meet with us, we are also presenting at the seminar at 3PM on the Saturday with a Q&A session, please feel free to come along and ask questions, don't worry about asking questions, as I am sure you know, it probably means many others are thinking the same thing, but too afraid to ask!

Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 09:05:20 am by Admin »

FERRYAIR

Hope you all had a nice time at The Flying Show at Telford 😁
I have just tried to use my PAW unit with the latest update and it seemed to work previously after downloading but now it does not !!!

Silly question, Do I need a new licence code for the latest update?   My licence number shows up as a row of zero's  !!!

I am probably being extremely dense but bear with me on this.

I also note that a certain member of the Wfaec is querying the functionality of the PAW unit? Does he actually have a PAW unit or is he just looking at it from an outsider's viewpoint.

stephenmelody

You'll need to put your licence code in again... then all should be fine.

Admin

I also note that a certain member of the Wfaec is querying the functionality of the PAW unit? Does he actually have a PAW unit or is he just looking at it from an outsider's viewpoint.

Hi Peter
I am not sure who the 'certain member' is, but I would recommend that any discussion regarding their opinion, informed or otherwise, is taken up with the Wfaec directly.

My intention for this forum, is to discuss the technical issues regarding the application of this technology.
I think we have plenty of pilot forums available for discussion regarding the potential merit or weaknesses with new technologies, I am happy to have those forums to continue to host such debate and discussion, and may even participate on the very odd occasion, where comment is warranted  ;)

For this forum, I appreciate facts, figures, requirements, issues and solutions.

Thx
Lee