Author Topic: Closure of Melisa Jenkins’ OGN Range Tool  (Read 2845 times)

exfirepro

Closure of Melisa Jenkins’ OGN Range Tool
« on: August 02, 2020, 11:00:32 am »
I have just seen a post over on the OGN Forums from Melissa Jenkins, to say that she has finally decided to shut down the OGN Range Tool she set up over 6 years ago on ognrange.onglide.com. I have passed on our thanks to Melissa for the great help her range tool provided to us in setting up the original OGN-PAW Rebroadcast Stations.

Melissa’s site has been superseded by an updated and (since other commitments affected Melissa’s ability to commit time to her site), more reliable, range tool, set up a year or more ago by Angel Casado and hosted on https://ognrange.glidernet.org  IMO this is now the best of the publicly available tools for testing the range and coverage of OGN and PilotAware ATOM-GRID Stations.

Just thought you’d like to know.

Regards

Peter

iain

Re: Closure of Melisa Jenkins’ OGN Range Tool
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 03:52:53 pm »
I quite like the heatmap on https://www.gliderradar.com/ click on the ground station then coverage

Deker

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 07:13:26 pm »
I quite like the heatmap on https://www.gliderradar.com/ click on the ground station then coverage

Nice web site, would be good if you could filter Flarm PAW or ADSB etc.

Deker.

Kurt37

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 09:07:03 pm »
What exactly does the coverage of a PW station say on gliderradar.com?

Is that coverage based on seen traffic with PAW equipped devices?

I am puzzles, because the coverage of the Flarm part of the station is so much different/more than the coverage of the PW part of the station.

Kurt37

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 08:02:47 pm »
No one?

steveu

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 09:05:00 pm »
What exactly does the coverage of a PW station say on gliderradar.com?

Is that coverage based on seen traffic with PAW equipped devices?

I am puzzles, because the coverage of the Flarm part of the station is so much different/more than the coverage of the PW part of the station.

I think the PW part of a ground station includes PAW and ADS-B. When I look at the furthest away aircraft on my ground station, they are often ADS-B at height.

We need to think about the design objectives of the different technologies.

FLARM is first and foremost and anti-collision technology, not a tracking one. Aircraft within 1km, significant risk, multiplied when head on, 5km away smaller risk, 20km away no imminent danger. 30km away, unless you want to pimp their lift in the long term, no one gives a ****.

ADS-B is also about anti-collision, but also about long term a planning, approach and departure, etc...

My FLARM beacon only just occasionally reaches my ground station from about 15km away. That's a fair distance for FLARM, and is because of the high gain antenna the ground station uses.

The PilotAware team know more, but it has been a busy month for them with iOS connection problems, trouble shooting it with Skydemon and fixes, and now a rebate scheme where they are getting a load of orders in.