Author Topic: OGN-R uplink typical range  (Read 12637 times)

Young_C

Re: OGN-R uplink typical range
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2021, 03:13:45 pm »
Hi Lee,
I've analysed a couple more of my flights where I there were gliders within 10km. I could see them via uplink from the local ATOM station and the good news is that they were tracked consistently without the dropouts I observed with uplinked traffic further out on other flights.

For info I've attached the Aircrew tracks:.
- On the left I saw 5 gliders ranging from 0.8 to 3.2nm near Hinton in the Hedges,
- On the right I saw 2 gliders on approach to Bidford at 3.8-4.4nm range.
In all cases their tracks were continuous during the time I flew nearby.

I'm happy that this seems to show 869.5MHz reception is working okay in my installation and supports your explanation, thanks.  :D

Regards,
Chris.

Admin

« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2021, 05:38:32 pm »
Thanks Chris
We should probably start talking about our next development which internally we are calling SKYGRID
basically ATOM network in the air

As part of the Release end of last year, we incorporated additional side messages
Air to Air
Ground to Air
Air to Ground

The Air to Air messages allow a PAW to inform its neighbours, if it is not receiving uplink data
Its chosen neighbour will act as an intermediary, supplying critical traffic information

We have had this all working in simulation and live in the lab, we will start field trials as soon as se are allowed

Thx
Lee

rogerabc

« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2021, 08:50:43 pm »
Wow, you guys don't stop.
Full of admiration.

PaulSS

« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2021, 09:27:24 pm »
I can't believe how much I've had to bite my lip on a certain aviation forum, with a certain anti-PAW poster, knowing that air-to-air was in the offing. This should shut him up, as even he can't argue how useful the Link system was in the military........unfortunately 'should' is wishful thinking  ;D

steveu

« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2021, 09:56:28 pm »
I can't believe how much I've had to bite my lip on a certain aviation forum, with a certain anti-PAW poster, knowing that air-to-air was in the offing. This should shut him up, as even he can't argue how useful the Link system was in the military........unfortunately 'should' is wishful thinking  ;D

Belief is usually strong enough to deny proof, you could simply stop torturing yourself... with an argument that may not be won by the presentation of beyond reasonable doubt evidence.

If you haven't heard it, it goes like the Douglas Adams argument for the non-existence of God.

I made one reasoned argument (to someone editorial) to correct a highly prejudiced PAW review in a certain magazine. The reply was shocking.

The reply also convinced me that when you encounter entrenched beliefs, offered evidence is a waste of time and simply results in an increasingly bloody forehead.

SKYGRID - This is an amazing step, and means that we are entering the realms of an ad hoc network involving moving nodes, if I have got this correct?

Admin

« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2021, 10:36:52 pm »
SKYGRID - This is an amazing step, and means that we are entering the realms of an ad hoc network involving moving nodes, if I have got this correct?
Almost, the problem with an ad-hoc network, is the loss of control and coordination

We spent a lot of time working out how to ensure determinism in the system, and this is certainly successful in our prototyping
The system is very smart and totally novel, it works by having predictable designation of the intermediary
This is to ensure multiple intermediaries do not spring up in the network

I think if I gave more away, my colleagues would string me up to the nearest tree  ;D
The closest cousin to this would be similar to the token ring network some may be old enough to recall,

As we are going with quotes Steve  ;)
I would recommend “The Soul of a New Machine” by Tracy Kidder, staple reading for those who have been involved in the silicon design industry

Nuff said  :-X
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 10:44:22 pm by Admin »

rogerabc

« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2021, 10:57:39 pm »
Not skynet anyway!

AlanG

« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2021, 07:45:17 pm »
Thanks Chris
We should probably start talking about our next development which internally we are calling SKYGRID
basically ATOM network in the air

As part of the Release end of last year, we incorporated additional side messages
Air to Air
Ground to Air
Air to Ground

The Air to Air messages allow a PAW to inform its neighbours, if it is not receiving uplink data
Its chosen neighbour will act as an intermediary, supplying critical traffic information

We have had this all working in simulation and live in the lab, we will start field trials as soon as se are allowed

Thx
Lee

I can't quite believe this little nugget has not gone viral and knocked Covid off the top spot.  Instead it seems to have raised barely a whimper, and there's poor PaulSS seen wandering around Bembridge with half his face missing from biting his lip.

Lee, you are bloody tease!!

Alan

PaulSS

« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2021, 09:48:45 pm »
It's alright, Alan. Aside from my facial disfigurement, I'm keeping my powder dry for the next whinge about insufficient cover from the ATOM stations.  With aircraft able to act as intermediaries, the umbrella of linked information could even, perhaps, shut up ex-RAF navigators......although that might be a step too far  ;D

Keithvinning

« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2021, 09:08:04 am »
With the greatest respect may I suggest that any proliferation of how this works and when this is available be left to Lee and the Team.

Keithvinning

« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2021, 06:52:13 pm »
By the way, I wasn't getting at anyone it's just that SKY GRID has the potential to be absolutely mind-bogglingly good, and as Alan said "knock COVID of the top slot" - well amongst us pilots anyway. Keep biting the lip. It will be worth the wait. I wonder where we should trial it second. As easy as putting a pin into a map and pressing return I am told.