Author Topic: Reliable Power Sources and Powerbanks  (Read 5088 times)

exfirepro

Reliable Power Sources and Powerbanks
« on: July 26, 2020, 11:34:05 am »
With almost 5 years involvement in PilotAware Development, Testing and Support, I have seen and experienced a broad range of problems, issues and solutions in a wide variety of aircraft and situations. Amongst these, the importance of using an effective and reliable Power Supply and Power Cable to Power PilotAware (or any other electrical/electronic device) remains top of my priority list.

Despite it being stressed over and over again - in User Instructions, Quick-Start Guides, Videos, Talks and Presentations and on this Forum, many of the ‘faults’ and ‘problems’ reported on here, or seen at rallies or while visiting airfields still turn out to be due to a less than optimal Power Supply.

By now even beginners should know that... To ensure effective, reliable operation, PilotAware requires a Power Source capable of sustaining at least 5 volts - even when drawing current at up to 2.1 amps.

...yet we still continue to see faults due to inadequate power supplies.

In my own case, I started out by using a combination of Powerbanks and ‘wired’ USB supplies of various origins - including various self-contained hard-wired multi-USB port units, some of which worked, some of which didn’t - or did, but periodically wiped out my audio or radio comms with ‘white noise’.

Whilst I rapidly came to rely on the Anker PowerCore Powerbanks for their portability, (I now have several in different capacities), I wanted to establish a reliable ‘aircraft based’ power supply for long distance touring. I therefore tried various USB adapters plugged into appropriately wired and fused cigarette/cigar lighter socket(s), but found a tremendous variation in performance. In one test with a batch of 10 ‘single port’ adaptors from a well known brand, 8 of the 10 generated sufficient radio frequency noise when tasked to charge an almost flat tablet, to completely wipe out my comms (and that was without PilotAware).

I eventually found the original black and red bodied Anker PowerDrive (single outlet) and PowerDrive 2 (twin outlet) devices, which are now recommended by PilotAware. I have found these to be completely and consistently reliable when plugged into a suitably rated and fused socket * - but even they can be overcome if you are tempted to try running both PilotAware and your tablet or phone from the same device - especially if the tablet or phone isn’t fully charged, when it tries to draw too much current - at which point noise appears through the PAW audio as the voltage drops and if charging is allowed to continue, PilotAware may well disconnect, lose gps fix or simply shut down. (For this reason, PilotAware recommends that you do not plug a second device into the ‘spare’ socket if using a PowerDrive 2). I have also tried a couple of the newer ‘Carbon Effect’ Anker PowerDrive 2 unit’s (successfully) but have not tried the latest IQ and PD versions.

* I have come across some sockets in aircraft, with wiring that I wouldn’t trust with a low-power device let alone one drawing high current, and others not fused in any way. Remember, these cigarette lighter sockets are running at 12 volts. A short-circuit with inadequate wiring and no fuse or circuit breaker is likely to result in a cockpit fire. If in any doubt - employ an expert. This is not the place for well-meaning DIY!

After trying various options myself, I fitted one of Jeremy Curtis’s excellent ‘Harkwood Charge4’ power supplies to my plane back in May 2016 and have never looked back. The Harkwood ‘Charge4’ and ‘Charge2’ Power Supplies are designed in the UK specifically for aviation use and are now EASA approved. I have had no issues whatever with my ‘Charge4’ and can highly recommend it and its smaller ‘Charge2’ sister, which I recently added to my collection as I seem to be running out of USB sockets again  :-\

I have over the years also used a fairly wide (but now ageing) range of (mainly) Anker Powerbanks for long-term testing at home and in the air. They are especially useful to allow testing in aircraft which don’t have effective built-in power supplies (or when I run out of sockets).

To summarise, I have personal experience of - and am happy to recommend any of the following : -

Harkwood Charge2 or Charge4 aviation power supplies ( https://charge4.harkwood.co.uk/ )

The black and red bodied Anker PowerDrive (single outlet) and PowerDrive 2 (twin outlet) devices (with the above condition)

The newer ‘Carbon Effect’ Anker PowerDrive 2 unit’s (with the above condition) (though I haven't tested the full range)

The older (though still available) Anker PowerCore 10000, 13000 and 20100 Powerbank units.

However, we regularly get enquiries like - ‘Will this, (or that) specific powerbank or power supply work with PilotAware?’

While we can look at the manufacturer’s specification and make an intelligent ‘guess’ - I for one have little or no experience of other brands or of the newer Anker units and we can’t possibly know with any degree of certainty unless we have used or tested the actual device(s) over an extended period.

So this is where you come in...

If you have experience of long term reliable use of any powerbank or power source other than the ones covered above and are prepared to recommend it/them unconditionally for use with PilotAware, please let us know ** and I will make up a ‘sticky’ list of recommended devices to help other users choose reliable equipment.

Alternatively if you use or have used another unit regularly, but have doubts or limitations - such as ‘don’t use this one to power a tablet or phone at the same time’ - or simply ‘don’t use this one’, - please also let us know **.

** In either case, please provide Manufacturer’s specific part code or detailed description or a link to the specific device on the site you purchased it from.

Looking forward to hearing your opinions.

Best Regards

Peter Robertson
(PilotAware Development Team)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 10:19:08 pm by exfirepro »

Keithvinning

Re: Reliable Power Sources and Powerbanks
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 09:29:18 pm »
Peter Thanks for this post
At PilotAware we estimate that 95% of all service calls that we take rea because people use the wrong power lead and or power supply. Even this very night a chap called to say his new Rosetta was not giving out a wifi signal. As he was local and wanted to fly tomorrow I invited him to bring his unit around. He came without the cable. I asked him what cable he was using and he said it was on that was supplied with the aircraft. We used a proper PilotAware cable. INSTANT SUCCESS and a wasted journey.

AS PETER SAYS IF YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEM FIRST SUSPECT THE CABLE AND THE POWER SUPPLY YOU CAN'T BEAT PHYSICS.

O yes and please RTFI.   

exfirepro

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 07:50:21 am »
Thanks Keith,

From reading around, it looks like the newer Anker PowerCore Slim 10000, might also be suitable. Single USB output - so no temptation to plug anything else in - and has options to charge it via micro USB or USB-C input cables.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Ultra-Compact-High-Speed-VoltageBoost-Technology/dp/B07QXV6N1B/ref=sr_1_12?crid=F54BRMK8P3I8&dchild=1&keywords=anker+power+bank&qid=1596695972&sprefix=Anker+%2Celectronics%2C171&sr=8-12

Do any of you have any experience of using this unit? If so, please let us know.

I also know many of you use other powerbanks successfully, so please don't be shy - let us know what they are and whether you would recommend them.

Regards

Peter

Mig29fuk

• G-MYUP. White Ox Mead Airstrip. Near Bath
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 08:12:37 am »
I'm using a LifePO4 12 Amp Hour Battery in my non-Electric aircraft (No Generator).
The Supply for both iPhone XR (SkyDemon) and PAW are served by a Charge 2.
This arrangement has been is use 4 years and is simpe but solid.
I do have a standby dual USB 20,000 mAh Power Block velcroed to fuselage side.
Rarely used but there in case my SkyEcho 2 runs out of juice or I have forgotten to charge it.
Regards
Gerry
G-MYUP
White Ox Mead Airstrip
Bath. England

Kurt37

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 08:31:33 am »
These two powerbanks have proven reliable. Each at >20h total operation, most of them ground testing.
Anker Powercore 10000h Redux
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07DDF8CNK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Aa7kFbPMDB87P

Ainope 2020 10000h
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B082V3G8LC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Jc7kFb4KD1TMP
Limitation: you can't load the PB and power at the same time

Powerbanks that definitely produce voltage warnings:
Omars Powerbanks

I also tried around 10 different Cables, mostly with 90 degree connector, none but the original juicebitz cable worked realibly.
@Peter: hope this post is as you had in mind, if not let me know.

Patrick

Keithvinning

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 06:52:45 pm »
Thanks Patrick

Perhaps this needs a thread of its own so others can contribute to the GOOD the BAD and the UGLY of Power Supplies.

Cheers

Keith

exfirepro

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2020, 09:47:23 am »
Hi Keith,

That’s why I started this as ‘a thread of its own’... to collect information (positive and negative) on power packs / powerbanks and power supplies. Once I have a reasonable list, my intention is to organise and collate the results so they can be put on a ‘sticky’.

Regards

Peter

PaulSS

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2020, 12:56:16 pm »
Since this is not only for power packs but all power supplies; a quick repeat of my set up, which has been very successful so far.............in fact perfect, so far  :)

I've simply got an 18 AWG twin core cable with the appropriate USB connectors in this link (hopefully photo attached). The power is supplied by a Charge4 hub, which is wired into the aircraft main power. There is a bit of hot glue on the USB connector at the PAW unit end to make sure that nothing wiggles loose, as the PAW is mounted out of sight behind the seats (thank goodness for the new ability to update it using the app over WIFI  ;D).

Link to 'wireable' USB connectors:  https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/usb-connectors/1792869/

Ancien

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2020, 02:03:12 pm »
I have been using one of these for a couple of years:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HitCar-Converter-Charger-Inverter-Camcoder-Micro-USB-Right-Angle-3Meters/dp/B071XLLKNF

It is wired to a CB and has a right angle micro USB to the PAW.
I bench tested it for a day or two with my unit and no issues.
I have had no problems and I don't get any radio noise.

All I can say is that it works for me!

Bob

« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 02:04:51 pm by Ancien »

exfirepro

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2020, 07:16:47 pm »
Hi Clive,

I presume you are using one of these...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Charger-PowerIQ-Technology-Motorola-black/dp/B00VH84L5E/ref=sxts_sxwds-bia-wc-p13n1_0?cv_ct_cx=powerdrive+2

Which are the units recommended by pilotAware. I have also had positive reports for the more modern PowerDrive 2 Elite...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Ultra-Compact-Charger-PowerDrive-Technology/dp/B01NATU2B2/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=powerdrive+2+elite&qid=1597862112&s=electronics&sr=1-1

though no experience yet of the newest version, known as the PowerDrive Speed 2.....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Charger-Adapter-PowerDrive-PowerIQ-dp-B07H4LH6P7/dp/B07H4LH6P7/ref=dp_ob_title_wld

Anyone used either of these last two?

Thanks also to Paul and Bob for your recommendations.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 07:54:01 pm by exfirepro »

comanchebob

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2020, 10:19:40 am »
I am using the recommended Anker Mini 24 watt 4.8 amp power supply.
All fine without the engine running but status page gives voltage error when engine is running.
Any ideas what could be causing this.
Can radio interference affect power supply?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 10:34:39 am by comanchebob »

Admin

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2020, 11:07:30 am »
Hi comanchebob

That is certainly odd.

1. By any chance are you using the 2nd USB port of the power supply to charge any other devices ?
or is the charger - purely powering PilotAware ?

2. Also, can you confirm you are using the power cable supplied with Pilotaware ?

thx
Lee

exfirepro

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2020, 12:36:04 pm »
@comanchebob,

What type of aircraft are we talking about here?

The most likely scenario is that PAW was running fine, but then engine start pulled the battery voltage down causing the power issue and, as the power warning message is sustained, it would still be visible when you checked again after engine start. If this is the case, the sequence needs to be engine start, then power up PilotAware.

Regards

Peter

steveu

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2020, 02:47:40 pm »
Another way of confirming/investigating this problem is to note the voltage reading if the aircraft has a voltmeter display. This shows the charging on the +12V is working... same from an ammeter with +ve current flow...

A very useful note for PAW Rosetta power up sequence, maybe not before the engine... thanks very much, gentlemen of support.

Admin

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2020, 06:47:34 pm »
@comanchebob,

What type of aircraft are we talking about here?

The most likely scenario is that PAW was running fine, but then engine start pulled the battery voltage down causing the power issue and, as the power warning message is sustained

I thought this too Peter, but comanchebob said ERROR not WARNING
An Error is downgraded to a warning if it does not persist, but is a record that a power glitch occured
thx
Lee