Author Topic: Reliable Power Sources and Powerbanks  (Read 5086 times)

comanchebob

Re: Reliable Power Sources and Powerbanks
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2020, 12:42:46 pm »
Thanks for your suggestions everyone.
PA is the only device being used from my power supply.
I am using all the recommended and recently purchased leads etc. My aircraft is in immaculate condition with a recently fitted new alternator, and the voltmeter indicates everything good at all times.
I also have a Harkwood Charge 2 USB power source (not used for powering PA) which I will try the next time I fly.  I will try an external power source to eliminate the entire supply from the aircraft.
I will also remove the whole setup and try it in my car, and keep you posted.

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 01:06:52 pm by comanchebob »

exfirepro

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2020, 02:27:23 pm »
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the update. As per Lee’s latest post, it is important to record exactly what the status line on the PAW Home Screen is reporting as this will help clarify whether any voltage drop is/was current or historical. It is always good if you can manage to take a screenshot on your phone/tablet, though of course not always possible when flying.

Keep us posted.

Best Regards

Peter

Admin

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2020, 02:57:09 pm »
hi Bob,

I just wanted to clarify if your recollection is OK, were you seeing a voltage ERROR or WARNING ?
Also, this information is logged to the track file, so I can analyse this offline if provided

Thx
Lee

comanchebob

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2020, 09:22:42 am »
Hi Lee,

Thanks for your interest. It's a voltage error. I am running the unit at home from a USB 3.1 amp 5 volt wall supply and tried numerous power leads, but the error remains. All other indications are o.k.

Screenshot attached.

Thank you,

Bob.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 11:43:06 am by comanchebob »

comanchebob

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2020, 07:34:19 pm »
I've found the problem -

It's an intermittent connection to the micro USB power input socket. When the plug is moved slightly the unit reboots. The internal green light blinks 3 times and the internet connection drops.

Please could you suggest the best way to get my Rosetta repaired.

Thank you,

Bob.

JCurtis

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2020, 08:20:09 pm »
I've found the problem -

It's an intermittent connection to the micro USB power input socket. When the plug is moved slightly the unit reboots. The internal green light blinks 3 times and the internet connection drops.

Please could you suggest the best way to get my Rosetta repaired.

Thank you,

Bob.

Might be fixable, or the socket replaceable. Drop me a message if it isn’t sortable under warranty. Same terms as for when I fix bridges with a broken antenna connection.
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

exfirepro

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2020, 10:50:41 am »
Hi Bob,

Good to know you have found the problem. First point of contact is Ash at PilotAware Support, e-mail support@pilotaware.com .

If out of warranty and not keen to have a go yourself, I’d certainly suggest taking up Jeremy’s offer - he makes the Charge2 and Charge4 aviation power supplies, so knows what he is doing.

Alternatively, if you are keen to have a go yourself, and if the socket isn’t too badly deformed, you should be able to fix it yourself if you are careful - see my post from a recent thread here...

http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,1871.msg20036.html#msg20036

As you will see from the earlier post, I recently had to fix the socket on my original Rosetta Prototype - which has now been in extensive use as a ‘test bench’ for several years. And as it happens I also had to fix another fairly new one with the same problem (in his case user induced) for a colleague last Sunday. If you decide to have a go, take your time and squeeze carefully.

To do so, you need to take off the antennas and remove the nut holding the Bridge into the upper case and remove the microSD card and the dongles from inside the cover at the other end, then carefully split the case apart by finding and gently pressing the connecting clips inward with a thin knife blade (or a strong thumb nail) - there are two clips at each side of the case. I suggest finding those on the power socket side first - one between the power and HDMI socket and the other midway between the audio socket and the case end. Once located, it only needs gentle but firm pressure through the seam to pop the clips - as soon as the case starts to open, stop pressing or you may break the clip off. Once you have split the case at both sides, slip the upper case off the Bridge antenna socket then gently ease the two joined boards out of the case (the Raspberry Pi is clipped into the case at both sides but can be removed by gently easing the case sides away from the board. Be very careful if you decide to separate the Bridge from the Motherboard. You must pull the Bridge straight up to separate them or you will bend the GPIO pins.

In either case, you now need to gently close the gap between the upper and lower faces of the socket by squeezing very gently but firmly with small pliers - using a small bit of cardboard between the lower jaw of your pliers and the underside of the PCB and being careful to squeeze the outside edge of the socket, not too far back. Take it in small steps and keep checking the fit of the plug - if you squeeze too hard you may not be able to go back and will need a new socket or (worst case scenario) new motherboard!

Regards

Peter

comanchebob

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2020, 11:03:17 am »
Thank you Peter for your comprehensive reply.
I'm quite mechanically savvy so will have a very careful attempt at repairing it myself, and will keep you informed of my progress.

Regards,

Bob.