Author Topic: Feature request: Pause traffic audio  (Read 3765 times)

JCurtis

Re: Feature request: Pause traffic audio
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2020, 10:58:31 pm »
I was mulling over this today during an idle moment. 

If Lee was willing, how about a physical push "hush" button that goes into one of the PAW USB ports?  So you push the button and the PAW either mutes, or swaps the verbal alert for a beep, for a settable period of time in the PAW software?  It could appear to the PAW as a HID or serial input.  It could be a panel mounted button, small button on a yoke, or perhaps any momentary button of your choosing (ideally momentary, doesn't matter is NO or NC).  Could even light up when muted, and you could push it again to un-mute before the settable period times out.

Would be fairly trivial to sort something like that out pretty quickly, but only if Lee saw it as worth his time?

It would also be possible to have a mini mixer, that took PAW and a tablet (SkyDemon) audio input to a single output - again with the physical mute button.  This could mute one, or both, for a pre-determined period or overruled by pressing it again.  Or perhaps just duck the audio for the period, so it's there just quieter. 

I guess it depends on how people mix their PAW and/or Tablet of choice (running their moving map system of choice) into their existing audio system?
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

marioair

• welcome to the PilotAware forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2020, 07:34:38 pm »
I literally have a passive 5- way 3.5mm mixer gaffa taped to my PaW classic. So
Something incorporated within the unit, and with the benefit of powered mixing would be quite neat.

I do plumb it into the Garmin Comms unit which has an automute function when the radios or intercom is active.

GeoffreyC

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2020, 09:23:35 am »
A simple in-line switch on the audio cable would be better than fiddling about with programming your tablet/phone when you are already getting an overload of information!
I would cost max £1.50 - not £49.99!
If you can't remember to turn it back on again you certainly won't remember to turn any other system back on either.
Remember..... KISS.
Definitely agree this is a problem that needs a fix.  I looked around for a simple inline audio switch, ideally a jack to jack cable with a Switch moulded into it, but couldn’t find one so have ended up just having to cope with the occasional excessive audio alerts.

Not sure I want to go to the trouble of a whole audio mixer that then requires yet another power connection. Kiss as above

Geoffrey

exfirepro

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2020, 11:35:29 am »
Geoffrey,

See my post in your 'Enhancements' thread.

Best Regards

Peter