Author Topic: Feature request: Pause traffic audio  (Read 3784 times)

marioair

• welcome to the PilotAware forum
    • View Profile
Feature request: Pause traffic audio
« on: July 26, 2020, 09:40:03 am »
This might sound counter intuitive - but is there a way to pause traffic alerts (audio)

During high workload on final approach (IMC) it can sometimes saturate my brain power.

If there was a way to pause traffic audio or perhaps reduce it to just an beep/chime that would be tidy

PeterG

Re: Feature request: Pause traffic audio
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 10:39:49 am »
I just unplug the audio cable.... ;)

Admin

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2020, 11:24:48 am »
Any suggestions for how to control this on/off ?
Thx
Lee

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2020, 12:16:04 pm »
Several users I know use an audio mixer, with rotary or slider volume controls successfully to reduce audio when things are busy.

I bought a ‘Maker Hart JUST MIXER 2 Audio Mixer’ (£49.99 from Amazon) a while back to fit in my plane but haven’t got round to fitting it yet. It will allow me to combine and individually control audio alert volume from both PilotAware and SkyDemon (or Easy VFR).

The downside of ‘pulling the plug’ is that you are very likely to forget to plug it back in again, whereas if you just turn the volume down low, it reminds you to turn it back up again when things get quieter.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 02:34:33 pm by exfirepro »

marioair

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2020, 07:01:01 pm »
I don’t wana be messing around with pulling cables as the unit is tucked nearly away in a side pocket.

Seems like the significant hole in capability is an app to control settings (yes I know I could login to the admin page but that’s not the right answer.). Might also be handy having an app as it’ll keep logs etc on the client as well as the pi

James Rose

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2020, 07:35:51 pm »
Any suggestions for how to control this on/off ?
Thx
Lee

Would be great if some of the settings could be set with a http request such as:

192.168.1.1/set/voicealerts/on
192.168.1.1/set/voicealerts/off

Then other devices/apps could easily implement control of PAW settings.

Ancien

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2020, 08:21:15 pm »
A simple in-line switch on the audio cable would be better than fiddling about with programming your tablet/phone when you are already getting an overload of information!
I would cost max £1.50 - not £49.99!
If you can't remember to turn it back on again you certainly won't remember to turn any other system back on either.
Remember..... KISS.

exfirepro

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2020, 08:38:26 pm »
Hi Bob / James,

I agree that it needs to be simple. Changes that require typing on a screen - whether its the PilotAware screens or in an app are at best a nightmare in flight - especially if it’s bumpy and at worst, concentrate ‘eyes in’ at the very time they need to be outside, so a definite no-no for me.

I have a circuit somewhere for a simple mechanical mixer / volume control and actually got round to buying the parts when Maplin we’re still trading, but never got round to putting it together - hence the £49.99 ready made option - which I thought would be a quick-fix, but still haven’t got round to fitting. I still think a mechanical knob is the best option nonetheless - same as I do on the ‘Aircrew’ James!

Regards

Peter

steveu

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2020, 09:07:39 pm »
A simple in-line switch on the audio cable would be better than fiddling about with programming your tablet/phone when you are already getting an overload of information!
I would cost max £1.50 - not £49.99!
If you can't remember to turn it back on again you certainly won't remember to turn any other system back on either.
Remember..... KISS.

You'd KISS the http request by storing it as a short cut then it would be a one button press.

However, if you have Skydemon and other devices, the mini audio mixer is a better bet.

marioair

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2020, 09:15:12 pm »
The mixer could work, but needs yet another USB power source which I dont have

rogerabc

« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 07:57:05 am by rogerabc »

exfirepro

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2020, 09:08:15 am »
Hi Roger,

That looks like a good solution - and runs off 12volts too, though it might need a regulated supply rather than straight off aircraft power. How do you power yours?

Regards

Peter

rogerabc

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2020, 08:24:37 pm »
Direct from the 12v bus via CB.

Opened the case & bypassed the jack sockets with a connector strip:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LUMBERG-KRE-10-TERMINAL-BLOCK-PCB-10WAY/181883191679?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Very pleased with the result.

JCurtis

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2020, 10:14:31 pm »
I was mulling over this today during an idle moment. 

If Lee was willing, how about a physical push "hush" button that goes into one of the PAW USB ports?  So you push the button and the PAW either mutes, or swaps the verbal alert for a beep, for a settable period of time in the PAW software?  It could appear to the PAW as a HID or serial input.  It could be a panel mounted button, small button on a yoke, or perhaps any momentary button of your choosing (ideally momentary, doesn't matter is NO or NC).  Could even light up when muted, and you could push it again to un-mute before the settable period times out.

Would be fairly trivial to sort something like that out pretty quickly, but only if Lee saw it as worth his time?
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

exfirepro

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2020, 10:28:49 pm »
Thanks Roger,

Any photos of the inside of your unit?

Hi Jeremy,

That sounds like a potentially workable solution, with lots of options for actuation/ control.

We certainly need to sort the issue of unwanted / repeating audio alerts properly, as they can be a real distraction (to put it mildly) and - as we see above - often lead straight to the plug being pulled and potentially never plugged back in again! Especially now SkyDemon and others have developed usable alternatives.

Best Regards

Peter