Author Topic: GRID Network / ATOM Stations  (Read 2139 times)

Admin

GRID Network / ATOM Stations
« on: July 14, 2020, 10:03:13 pm »
I thought I would share some interesting stats from a very busy weekend
on 11/7/2020, we had a number of stations which were tracking and rebroadcasting in excess of 200 aircraft each, simultaneously
This means that in order to calculate whether to rebroadcast the Mode-S/3D and FLARM reports to PilotAware aircraft, each station was performing more than 40,000 (200 x 200) calculations per second to determine what to uplink. That is staggering!

In total on that day we saw a total of 3556 across the network

The GRID is working very well, we expect to get the new PilotAware S/W released within a couple of weeks, and you will be able to install via the PilotAware App - credits Neil Hathaway (ios only at the moment)
https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/pilotaware-firmware-updater/id1505146719

PilotAware Team

Young_C

Re: GRID Network / ATOM Stations
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 07:41:54 am »
Thanks for these stats, thats amazing! :D

By the way, are you able to give a breakdown of how many were Mode S vs FLARM? Also perhaps a geographic breakdown too?

An observation, on Sunday I flew down to Bolt Head in Devon and noticed that after passing SW of Bristol the number of traffic alerts reduced significantly. I'm not sure whether there was just less traffic down there or whether there are fewer ground stations in that region to pick them up.

Regards,
Chris.

Admin

Re: GRID Network / ATOM Stations
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 07:48:13 am »
An observation, on Sunday I flew down to Bolt Head in Devon and noticed that after passing SW of Bristol the number of traffic alerts reduced significantly. I'm not sure whether there was just less traffic down there or whether there are fewer ground stations in that region to pick them up.

Hi Chris
I think it is a bit of both. It would be great to get more ATOMs in that part of the country, a call out to any of our fellow flyers who are able to help out with well located positions, please contact us on ogn@pilotaware.com
Thx
Lee