Author Topic: PilotAware with ADSB-Out  (Read 1597 times)

BoNeHeAd

PilotAware with ADSB-Out
« on: August 18, 2020, 11:02:59 am »
I've tried to find the answer to this myself in these forums and the official documentation but I haven't been able to 'self-help'.  :-[

I have been using PilotAware for years and convinced others to do the same, I can't rate it enough. My aircraft is due back with a new ADSB-Out Transponder to replace the Mode S I had.

I don't think there is anything to 'turn off' on the PilotAware in terms of transmitting my PilotAware location, but given that ADSB-Out is the standard (and seen by all other Pilot Awares anyway) do I need to do anything?

I'm also wondering... if everyone with PilotAware will get my ADSB-Out data now, do I need the antenna that transmits (currently dipole in front screen), or can I remove that and just keep the smaller ADSB receive antenna in place?

Thanks in advance.

exfirepro

Re: PilotAware with ADSB-Out
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 12:09:24 pm »
Hi BoNeHeAd,

Out of interest, what make/type of ADSB Transponder are you getting fitted that transmits ADSB-Out?

Adding ADSB Out to your aircraft is great, I added it to mine over 5 years ago, and - as you say, virtually all receiver systems will see your ADSB, provided they are within range, but that's only half the picture. You will still need a receiver to display the other ADSB-Out units, and other traffic, so you know where they are.

If you also want to retain all the other great features of PilotAware, including Positional and Bearingless alerts for Mode-S, Bearingless alerts for Mode-C, Metars, and Flarm Rebroadcast from the PilotAware Ground Station Network and position reporting for all those PilotAware users out there who haven't added ADSB Out, - not to mention all the other great stuff that's in the pipeline, you will still need to maintain your PilotAware in fully functioning order - as without it's transmit function being active, you won't receive any of the uplink data (unless there is another aircraft nearby requesting the data - but that can't be guaranteed). My advice would be to retain your PilotAware in fully functional condition as your traffic receiver, in parallel with your new installation

In any event, you should never run PilotAware without the P3i transmit antenna (the longer one - or in your case the dipole) as this could easily damage or destroy the transmitter.

I hope this helps clarify the position.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 12:11:50 pm by exfirepro »

Ian Melville

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 12:29:26 pm »
BoNeHeAd,
Have you connected a GPS input to you new Transponder, or are you connecting to your PAW?

BoNeHeAd

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 12:57:51 pm »
Thanks for the replies. I'm having Garmin GTX 335 Transponder with GTN750xi for position.
I use the PilotAware to provide both traffic and GPS position to my iPad and SkyDemon and want to continue receiving traffic including Flarm uplink so I will, as advised, leave both antennas in position.