Author Topic: RESOLVED: Rosetta stopped working and getting HOT! - now sorted  (Read 2403 times)

mmcp42

flew to Gloucester today
first flight since February
Rosetta fine all the way there
came to fly back, couldn't connect
thought it might have got too warm in the sun
took the unit home, tried there
nothing
tried to take the SD card - it was red-hot!
then tried powering up without a card
Rosetta still gets very hot very quickly

would tell you version and unit number, but I can't connect to it, of course!

aha - from the renewal - The software key for your unit with MAC address B827EBB49A89 is : 5D9F-25F6-EA6D-C190

any wise words?
cheers
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 07:19:18 pm by Admin »

mmcp42

Re: Rosetta stopped working and getting HOT!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 06:20:33 pm »
more information
tried to read the SD card in USB card reader
nothing
now looks like the card reader is dead as well

I'm gonna stop trying things now before I kill anything else!

exfirepro

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 11:20:22 pm »
Hi mm,

Not much to go on there unfortunately! Did you leave the Rosetta running while you were at Gloucester? How is it powered? Not much else we can determine I’m afraid if the unit is refusing to boot up.

I don’t think I’ve ever come across a case where the microSD card got hot - occasionally warm, but certainly never as hot as you say, so it sounds like something has gone seriously wrong. Oh and if you took the card out while the unit was powered up, that won’t have done the card any good!

From your second post, you imply that the card reader is ‘dead’. I would suggest it’s more likely that whatever has happened has fatally corrupted the card - possibly instigated as you suggest by the unit overheating. If this is the case, it’s almost certainly not worth trying to reinstate the card, so your first step is to buy a new card and load the latest software from https:// PilotAware.lode.co.uk then see if you can get the unit running again. Alternatively you can buy a new card with the latest software preloaded from the PilotAware website here...

https://pilotaware.com/product/pre-loaded-sd-card-20190621/

If you can manage, it would be useful to connect the unit to a monitor or TV with an HDMI cable for the first restart, so you can see how the unpacking and reconfiguration of the software is proceeding. You will know it has unpacked and booted successfully when the login prompt appears. You should then be able to reconnect to the PAW WiFi and continue with re-configuration. If you can’t attach a monitor, remember to leave the unit alone for at least 30 minutes after inserting the new card and powering it up, before attempting to connect to it.

Assuming this works, you will then of course have to re-enter all your configuration settings, including the licence key.

Hopefully the unit will then be resurrected.

Please let us know how you get on.

Best Regards

Peter

Edit: Re-reading this morning, I just realised I should have said... ‘With the card out, Rosetta will of course just sit and look at you, except perhaps for a single red ‘Power On’ LED  inside the case behind the P3i Antenna which isn’t always immediately obvious,  as all the operating software is on the card’. Also, I’m concerned by the fact that you say the unit... ‘still gets very hot very quickly’ even when powered up without a card in it. Without the card, it shouldn’t be doing anything. For an electronic device to get hot (without an external heat source beating down on it) it would have to be drawing excessive amounts of electric current - usually due to a fault, but the unit is protected by a built in poly fuse. How are you powering it at home? We need to work out what is going on here. I would suggest getting in touch with Ash..  support@pilotaware.com   to request returning your unit for testing.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 10:31:45 am by exfirepro »

mmcp42

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 12:31:47 pm »
good feedback there
lots of points
a) I only removed the card with Rosetta powered down
b) it's powered in the aircraft by a USB power panel (don't know the brand)
c) powered at home with a pi power unit 5V 2.5A
d) yup gets VERY HOT when powered up with no card
e) will try powering up with HDMI connected, but will download latest software first as card is totally inoperable
f) didn't leave Rosetta powered up while parked at Gloucester

if none/all of the above are unsuccessful, I'll contact Ash
might as well get some more diagnostics first!

cheers

mmcp42

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 01:04:39 pm »
one small step . . .
I had a spare SD card with NOOBS on it
gave that a whirl, with TV/HDMI connected
magic
all powered up and working
so looks like the Rosetta is intact
the original SD card, not so much :(

next step then is to install latest software
standby

exfirepro

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 01:39:57 pm »
mm,

Was it still running hot with the NOOBS card?

Peter

mmcp42

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2020, 02:12:53 pm »
nope!
I wonder if the "hot with no card" was caused by the unit being hot after using the faulty card

second step forward
downloaded latest shiniest software
installed

it seems to have automagically remembered all my settings!
how'd it do that?

exfirepro

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2020, 02:40:21 pm »
‘It seems to have automagically remembered all my settings’

Are you sure? The newer software retains Config during ‘updates’, but the only way I know that this can happen from a full ‘fresh install’ is if your tablet has cached the Config Page and goes back to the cached one when you press ‘Config’ after reconnecting. That may well be what has happened. If so, you will have confirmed the Config when you Saved the Licence Key after entering it.

Peter

mmcp42

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2020, 02:53:41 pm »
well put it this way
a) I used my iPhone to browse to 192.168.1.1
b) hit refresh ("are you sure?" "yes dammit")
c) config info showing, complete with updated license key

it was a fresh install of 20190621 onto a virgin 16Mb SD card

iPhone is correctly showing me on the ground at home!

I just wondered how!

but basically a happy bunny as Rosetta working and new shiny license also working :)
thanks for support

exfirepro

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2020, 03:05:07 pm »
OK, that’s obviously what has happened.

Glad it’s working again, please keep us posted.

Peter

p.s. Can you go back to your initial post and add ‘ - now sorted’ to the Thread Title in the Subject Line.

mmcp42

Re: Rosetta stopped working and getting HOT! - now sorted
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2020, 03:51:12 pm »
done!

exfirepro

Re: Rosetta stopped working and getting HOT! - now sorted
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2020, 04:53:15 pm »
Thank You