Author Topic: No radar screen on samsung tab A  (Read 1571 times)

Micromort

No radar screen on samsung tab A
« on: July 11, 2020, 10:09:20 pm »
Using a brand new samsung tab A with skydemon but don't have the radar screen at the bottom of the screen.

I  log onto pilotaware wifi, selected 3rd party devices, as I select go flying I use pilot aware but no radar screen appears,  (show non directional traffic in skydemon settings is also selected).

if I connect to the pilot aware and select the radar page with height and horizontal at the max I can get the radar but not seeing any aircraft on the radar even though I know my device is picking them up as I can see details of the planes on the traffic page.

Others at the airfield are picking me up on their tablets but I see no one.

I'm hoping that I've set up correctly in the configure page but fully appreciate that I may have "missed" something or a setting on the tablet needs to be altered but I'm at a loss as to what and would appreciate advice, cheers

exfirepro

Re: No radar screen on samsung tab A
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 12:20:38 am »
Hi Micromort,

Do you mean the small 'Traffic Radar' square at the bottom right corner of the SkyDemon screen?

From previous correspondence with SkyDemon, this only appears after SkyDemon has started receiving traffic data from its data source, so if your tablet hasn't received any data - either due to a communication problem between it and PilotAware, or perhaps because of an incorrect range filter setting, you won't see the SkyDemon Traffic Radar Screen.

OK, lets get a bit more info:

What type of PilotAware are you using, i.e. is it an older 'Classic' or a 'Rosetta'?

What version of PilotAware Software are you running? - you will get this from the PilotAware Home or Configure Screens. Please also confirm that your PilotAware Licence has not 'Expired' - again from the PilotAware Home or Configure Screens.

What version of SkyDemon are you running? and can you check that your SkyDemon Licence is still valid - you can check both of these from the SkyDemon/Help/About SkyDemon Screen.

You say you can see details of the planes [you are receiving] on the traffic page - if so, PAW must be receiving traffic, though it may not be passing it to SkyDemon. It would be useful to see what type and quantity of traffic is being received - Can you power the unit up out in the open, leave it running for a while then take and post a screenshot of the PilotAware Traffic page showing traffic please.

Screenshots of the PAW Home and Configure Pages would also let us see if there are any issues and also what range and other settings you have set in PilotAware. - You may however need to reduce the screenshots to a maximum total file size of 512KB or post them in separate posts.

I have attached a screenshot of 'typical' settings for the PilotAware Configure Screen. In particular, you should set 'Device Connect Setting' to either PilotAware(UDP) if you want to see Bearingless (Mode C/S) Targets, or to GDL90(UDP) if you don't. Do NOT leave this on 'Auto'. You MUST also use the same option in SkyDemon/Setup/Third Party Devices and when you press 'Go Flying'. This is particularly important when using Android Devices- such as Your Samsung Tablet.

Please ensure that you 'Save' the PilotAware Configure Settings after you change them, by clicking on the 'Save' button at the bottom of the screen and watching to ensure that the 'Save' cursor moves right across the top of the screen, to confirm that the settings are being saved.

Even if the Traffic Radar Screen isn't showing, you should still see aircraft (particularly CAT ADSB) on the main SkyDemon screen provided it is within the horizontal range currently visible on your display and unless it is outside the vertical display range you have set in - SkyDemon/Setup/Navigation Options/Vertical Filter - set this, initially at least, to +/- 30,000ft for testing. You can reduce this later to a more realistic level for flying.

Unless you don't want to know about pure Mode C/S transponder equipped traffic, you also need to switch 'Show Bearingless Targets' to 'ON' (it is off in SkyDemon by default).

You should also set SkyDemon/Third-Party Devices to either PilotAware(UDP) if you want to see Bearingless (Mode C/S) Targets, or to GDL90(UDP) if you don't. You MUST use the same option in PilotAware Configure and when you press 'Go Flying' in SkyDemon.

Oh - and finally, it’s always worth checking after engine start that your tablet is still connected to your own PilotAware WiFi. If powered from the plane’s electrics, it can become disconnected due to a temporary voltage drop when starting the engine and will readily connect to a local alternative (such as the Club WiFi) when it restarts.

I hope this helps. Please let us know if this sorts the problem.

Best Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 08:17:29 am by exfirepro »

Micromort

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 05:38:09 am »
Thanks for the great info, I'm flying today so will check settings etc and report back

Micromort

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2020, 09:33:59 pm »
Happy to report it was certainly "user" error, I went through all the settings and discovered that I wasn't actually using the pilot aware wifi even though it  was saying so, simply unticked and re ticked and all worked fine.
The device picked up traffic throughout the day and must say it was very impressive, many thanks for the mass of information, cheers

exfirepro

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2020, 10:33:54 pm »
Hi Micromort,

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear we have a positive outcome and the information will be of benefit to others reading this thread, so no harm done.

Best Regards

Peter