Author Topic: Remote diagnostics - will PAW HQ need the password for the station?  (Read 2046 times)

steveu

For the remote diagnostics mentioned in some other posts, will PAW HQ need the password that goes with the "pi" account?

exfirepro

Re: Remote diagnostics - will PAW HQ need the password for the station?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 09:00:23 am »
Hi Steve,

The short answer is ‘Yes’, but in practice it depends on the issue and level of access required.

I know you will be aware of most of this, but hopefully this explanation will be of benefit to all PAW users.

Issues such as whether the station is running, has updated to the latest software, and is receiving and rebroadcasting the different types of traffic can be assessed remotely by looking at data via the GRID network (secure access is limited to a small group of Team Members). One of the significant benefits of the GRID, however, is that this type of monitoring can be automated so that issues can be identified early allowing station owners to be contacted and alerted to problems, or a fix to be developed - often before anyone outside the Team is even aware that there was a problem.

Unfortunately this only works where the station is running OGN software version 20191028 or newer and where we have contact details for the ‘owner / maintainer’. Where stations are running older software, their stations will NOT auto update, won’t appear on the GRID and won’t therefore benefit from the relay of data from adjoining stations or rebroadcast of MLAT positions for Mode-S 3D.

All OGN-R Station Owners still running software prior to version 20191028 are therefore encouraged to update to the latest software ASAP (ask for help if you need it)!

If a station is, ‘On the GRID’ and there is, or appears to be, a specific problem, Lee can request the logon password (privately) from the owner to allow access to the individual station(s) via the network for deeper analysis or where necessary, repair.

This process has several benefits:

It allows high level technical intervention (well above my pay grade or ability).

Lee can see directly what is going on, rather than relying on 2nd hand reports, allowing him to identify any issues and apply a fix (or force a reinstall). In the odd case this direct access has been pivotal in identifying a previously undiscovered bug or behaviour.

The ‘owner’ doesn’t need to be present or travel to a potentially distant or remote site.

Lee has used this facility several times to identify and repair complex or ‘hidden’ faults with stations in my group (and others) either to save having to travel to see what was going on, or where the fault was of a specific and highly technical nature.

Best Regards

Peter

« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 09:28:42 am by exfirepro »

steveu

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 09:29:21 am »
Hi Peter,

I was aware of some of it but not as much as I thought, there are one or two key points that I'd like to pick up on.

Issues such as whether the station is running, has updated to the latest software, and is receiving and rebroadcasting the different types of traffic can be assessed remotely by looking at data via the GRID network (secure access is limited to a small group of Team Members). One of the significant benefits of the GRID, however, is that this type of monitoring can be automated so that issues can be identified early allowing station owners to be contacted and alerted to problems, or a fix to be developed - often before anyone is even aware that there was a problem. Unfortunately this only works where the station is running OGN software version 20191028 or newer and where we have contact details for the ‘owner / maintainer’.

I'm assuming there are two paths for the contact details for the owner/maintainer - first, the contact made with PAW HQ to get help with station hardware and second, the e-mail address given in the set up script at install/re-install?

My station is up to date, and running software after the auto-update version you have mentioned.

If a station is, ‘On the GRID’ and there is, or appears to be, a specific problem, Lee can request the logon password (privately) from the owner to allow access to the individual station(s) via the network for deeper analysis or where necessary, repair.

This allows me to have a very hands off attitude to checks which can therefore comprise, I think:

• Checking the station is on;
  • Checking my VRS works;
  • Checking my METAR works;
  • Checking the software version on the home screen;
  • Checking my station is on the OGN via Gliderradar.

Other than that, any hiccups will flag themselves up to PAW HQ?

And to add, thanks for taking the time to explain.

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 08:06:20 pm »

I'm assuming there are two paths for the contact details for the owner/maintainer - first, the contact made with PAW HQ to get help with station hardware and second, the e-mail address given in the set up script at install/re-install?

My station is up to date, and running software after the auto-update version you have mentioned

That’s correct Steve. The problem is that some of the early stations were upgraded from existing OGN Stations or installed from scratch from the instructions on the net, with in some cases no contact made with Keith or the Team during that process. In some cases we still don’t know who is responsible for maintaining certain stations (though this number is getting fewer). This makes it very difficult (or in some cases impossible) to get in touch with the station owner/maintainer in the event of a problem  - hence the introduction of the request for the maintainer’s e-mail in the setup process.

This allows me to have a very hands off attitude to checks which can therefore comprise, I think:

• Checking the station is on;
  • Checking my VRS works;
  • Checking my METAR works;
  • Checking the software version on the home screen;
  • Checking my station is on the OGN via Gliderradar.

Other than that, any hiccups will flag themselves up to PAW HQ?

And to add, thanks for taking the time to explain.

It’s still worth keeping a weather-eye on your Station(s) by checking the usual websites, such as Glidertracker, Spot the Gliders, Grafana, etc periodically, as the system isn’t fully automated, so things can still be missed, though the effectiveness of the network and the development of access to monitor data is proceeding at a significant pace, thanks to the work of a very small group of dedicated Team Members to whom we owe our thanks.

Best Regards

Peter