Author Topic: Connecting Pilot Aware to SkyView  (Read 3134 times)

DY691

Connecting Pilot Aware to SkyView
« on: June 24, 2020, 06:00:53 pm »
Good morning to all
I'm flying in France on a WT9, I installed a pilotawre connected to the skyview HDX via a rs 232 link.
On the skyview I can see the ADSB aircrafts, for the aircrafts in s/c mode I have only the voice announcement by bluetooth link.
my settings are as recommended port 2 of the rosetta flarm out on the skyview port 3 serial in Flarm traffic both sets set to 57600 bauds.
Is there a way to have the aircraft in C/S mode represented by a circle around my aircraft ?
I had in my previous machine a TRX 1500 connected to a skiview touch which fulfilled this function what lets me think that the skyview can read this data.
I will try to select garmin tis instead of Flarm traffic on the dynon on my next flight...
Thank you for your help.

Admin

Re: Connecting Pilot Aware to SkyView
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 08:14:42 pm »
Yes this will work, you need to ensure you have enabled bearingless target detection on the configure page
Mode-CS

Thx
Lee

DY691

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 08:21:48 pm »
Thanks Lee, I try tomorrow Ane keepsake you advise
Guy

DY691

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 11:50:46 am »
Good morning to all
yesterday I flew on a round trip, unfortunately while selecting Garmin Tis on the skyview HDX I had a traffic fail message I took a picture of the configuration see attached.
As you can see I don't have access to the transmission speed, I tried to put the same as the grey one on the rosetta 9600 but no more success.
I see that the TX is increasing steadily but not the good sentences.
I have of course made the CS modes available.
If you have an idea of the configuration that might work
Thanks
Guy
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 02:42:14 pm by DY691 »

Admin

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2020, 06:46:32 pm »
Hi Guy

Firstly I am confused with the menus I am looking at FLARM TRAFFIC and GARMIN TIS TRAFFIC, I dont believe are the same thing

The setup should be exactly the same as if you were connecting to a FLARM device using the FLARM dataport protocol.
Also go for the highest baud rate possible. 9600 is way too low, this is just about capable of sending NMEA GPS Messages

Thx
Lee

DY691

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2020, 07:50:08 pm »
Thank you Lee for that initial response.
When you talk about increasing the baud rate, are you talking about the ones I select for port 2 on the Rosetta?
Because I don't have access to this setting (Garmin tis) on the skyview weirdly while I have access to the other settings?
Also, can I leave port 2 on auto or is another mode more appropriate?
I'll try different speeds tomorrow and let you know.
Have a good night.
Guy

exfirepro

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2020, 09:00:11 am »
Hi Guy,

Have you read this thread? ...

http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,819.msg9849.html#msg9849

In particular, check that you are configuring the correct PAW USB Port - see my post in that thread (though from your screenshots it looks like you probably are)

This port should be configured to ‘Flarm-OUT’ - which you have done, assuming the correct port.

The Baud rate should be set to a minimum of 57600 Baud and most significantly, this must be the same in both devices. This seems to be the major issue as you say you can’t change the Baud Rate in your device. What happens if you try selecting one of the other Source Devices? IIRC the Funke TM250 is a FLARM Traffic Device.

Finally, as this has caught out many in the past, make sure you haven’t got your wires crossed - ‘Data Out’ from PAW via the recommended FTDI cable is on the ‘Orange’ wire - this goes to whatever wire is used on your device for ‘Data In’ , (with ‘Black’ from the FTDI as the ‘Ground’).

Please let us know how you get on with today’s testing.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 10:23:28 am by exfirepro »

Young_C

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2020, 11:39:36 am »
Hi,
I would recommend following this thread. I recently installed a Rosetta unit in our RV-7 and used this info and it worked first time  :)

See attached pictures:
Set Skyview Serial Port (we used 2) to FLARM TRAFFIC baud 57600
Set Rosetta Port 2 to Flarm-OUT baud 57600
Wire the RS232 D connector:
- Pin 2 RD to Skyview SV-HARNESS-D37 Pin 6 Serial Port 2 TX
- Pin 3 TD to Skyview SV-HARNESS-D37 Pin 5 Serial Port 2 RX
- Pin 5 Ground

Good luck,
Chris.

DY691

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2020, 06:05:28 pm »
Thank you Exfirepro
Sorry if I'm not clear in what I'm saying ( in France we're not too good in langage
In fact I have read the various speakers on these subjects and I thank them for this valuable information.
I configured port 2 of the Rosetta in flarm out and connected port 3 of the Dynon with the orange wire of the rs232 plug.
I can see the adsb traffic on the Dynon and I can receive the C/S traffic and voice information in my helmet via Bluetooth.
My question concerns the possibility to receive C/S traffic visually on the Dynon through a circle around my position As it was the case before in my old machine equipped with a trx1500 and a Dynon
My comment about receiving traffic in Garmin Tis mode is that on the Dynon I cannot access the baud rate settings in this mode while I can in the other modes.
Today I tried a little bit all the possible combinations between the Dynon mode (there are many) and the Rosetta mode. And nothing conclusive the tx increases well but I still have the traffic message made on the Dynon.
There is a case where I saw the tx and rx increase but without any increase in the number of good sentences and no traffic fail message.
My question to have an increase in the number of Good sentences is it necessary that the Rosetta receives other traffic?
I was on a small field with zero traffic around....
I'll try the funke TM250 mode in the next few days and let you know.

Guy

« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 06:07:44 pm by DY691 »

DY691

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2020, 10:06:21 pm »
Good evening
I flew today and unfortunately even when selecting the tm 250 mode there is still no S/C traffic on the skyview ...
The tm 250 mode behaves like the flarm adsb mode ok on the skyview.

exfirepro

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2020, 09:24:37 am »
Guy,

Ah, a thought...

You said...
...even when selecting the TM250 mode there is still no S/C traffic on the Skyview

Are you getting ADSB traffic Reporting?

I take it you do have Mode CS enabled in PilotAware Configure? It is ‘Off’ by default. It should be set to ‘Mode CS + Filter’ if you are running a transponder, or ‘Mode CS’ if you don’t. You should also open the filters to Long Range and +/- 50,000 ft for testing.

Regards

Peter

Edit: Just checked back your earlier posts and see you do have Mode CS + Filter set, (sorry) but I would still advise opening the reporting filters right up for testing.

Further Edit: Just seen Lee’s post below...
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 09:32:20 am by exfirepro »

Admin

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2020, 09:28:26 am »
Hello Guy

Many apologies in advance - I think I have given the wrong answer.
I am looking at the code, and I think that the Mode-C/S bearingless is only being sent over WiFi and to the RADAR screen, and not over the Wired/Serial interface

I am very sorry for not looking at this in enough detail, to add this should not be too difficult
We have an upcoming release, I should be able to add this into that release

You should be able to check this by connecting a phone, tablet to the RADAR screen and seeing the bearingless banners popup, which are not reflected in the SkyView interface.

Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 09:52:20 am by Admin »

DY691

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2020, 12:52:24 pm »
Hello, Lee.
Thank you for your message, it would have been very useful to have the positions by means of a circle around my S /C mode position.
I hope it won't be too difficult to integrate this new feature in the next update

Admin

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2020, 02:27:45 pm »
I hope it won't be too difficult to integrate this new feature in the next update
already done  :D

DY691

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2020, 04:53:33 pm »
 Bravo :)